News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Age of Empires II Definitive Edition

Started by viper37, November 19, 2019, 02:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Have you tried putting your back into it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on December 12, 2019, 02:26:27 PM
Having fun, except I remember now that I actually suck at this.

I'm OK on maps where water separates me from the AI.  but in a land map, I find the AI always manages to attack me from multiple areas, and I can never recover enough to get back at it.
I think the trick is to build walls as quickly as possible and towers/castles to protect yourself.  Agressivity in skirmish pays off, but in the campaign, the ennemy is often already setup with towers and castles, so it's hard to attack its peasants.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

And as luck would have it, picked it up this morning in the Steam sale  :)

viper37

I will revise my judgement on this.

Yes, it is a very fun game, at first.  I like that it's connected to history, albeit a tad warped, sometimes, it does stimulate me to look on Wikipedia for historical events or characters I don't know much about (particularly the asian campaigns).

However, it does get repetitive.  And aside from 1 or 2 unique units, they mostly look the same.  Play the Aztecs of the Inca, and you get men-at-arms and two handed swordsman like France or Portugal.

AoE 3 is much better in that regard and I anxiously wait for the DE to be released for that one as well.

Also, I tried AoE 1 DE, and it looks really bad, so I ended up returning it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

You could play Star Wars: Battlegrounds, which is AoE2 in Star Wars paint. It's available from GOG and has 6 factions: Empire, Rebels, Republic, Confederacy, Wookiees, Naboo, Trade Federation, and ... Gungans. :P

"Should you play SWGB in 2019?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDGatw1Ti9g
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.