News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Ashoka and the weird hairdo sisters. Well, that was a dumb arc.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Yeah, Siege of Mandalore is amazing, it nearly absolves Revenge of the Sith of its awfulness. I'm gonna miss this show, hopefully the upcoming ones will be as good.

Couldn't help notice the horns in the helmets of Maul's mandalorians. Makes me wonder if the Armorer in Mandalorian (whose helmet also features small horns) is supposed to be a former Maul loyalist.

Eddie Teach

I just finished season 6. Dark side Yoda seems more like movie Yoda, not so solemn.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

It's more a prequel-original trilogy thing. Prequels Yoda doesn't behave or talk anything like Dagobah Yoda. They kinda try to bridge the gap in the cartoon, put him in a place where he's been humbled by his failures, but still.

Despite indulging in book-burning, New Trilogy Yoda matches Dagobah Yoda more.

Eddie Teach

Finished the series. I'm a little disappointed they didn't develop more the story of Anakin's fall, leaving us with the lackluster explanation from the prequels.

celedhring

They, at least, manage to make him a bit more likeable and interesting (although that last Clovis arc where he acts like a chauvinistic pig is pretty awful). But at least the show manages to make him look heroic and a great comrade despite his insecurities and emotional failings. My single favorite moment of the show remains the force gods arc, where Anakin sees a glimpse of his future and is absolutely devastated at what he will become, before getting his memory erased. It humanizes him a lot.

But yeah, ultimately the show has to work within the confines of the movies. And the movies are awful.

celedhring

Syt, since you're my source for this kind of stuff: my brother's birthday is approaching and he has taken to Star Wars comic books as of late. Have you heard of any being particularly good?

Syt

Honestly no idea. I tried following the comics via Marvel Unlimited (which is ca. 6 months behind the print releases in its content), but the various series, plus crossovers, make it a bit difficult to follow if you want to do it chronologically. It doesn't help that they occasionally start a new series with the same name of the previous one

Check on Amazon what trade paperbacks there are and how they rate. I believe some of the new Thrawn novels have been adapted into comic form? Or try Reddit?

If you want an overview of series, check here: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_comics
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Zoupa

I've thousands of Star Wars comics... Both pre and post Disney.

My advice celedrhing would be Star Wars: Darth Vader by Charles Soule Omnibus.

There are awesome not-canon anymore stories, but unless you scour used comic book stores, you;ll never find them.

Zoupa

Shit the Omnibus is not published yet. Well go for the paperbacks then. There's 4 of them for that series.

celedhring

Quote from: Zoupa on March 23, 2021, 01:51:32 PM
I've thousands of Star Wars comics... Both pre and post Disney.

My advice celedrhing would be Star Wars: Darth Vader by Charles Soule Omnibus.

There are awesome not-canon anymore stories, but unless you scour used comic book stores, you;ll never find them.

Thanks! I see that they are available in Amazon Spain.

viper37

I've read the books Republic Commando (5 of them IIRC) and a follow up Imperial Commando: 501st.

It expands on the stories told by Clone Wars but differs in that it's mostly about smaller commando units, groups of 4-6 individual clones who received special&specific training by mercenaries hired by Jango Fett.  We mainly follow three of these commando groups, trained by Mandalorians, and one group is referred to as the "Nulls", because they're the first batch of clones created by the Kaminoans and they slightly altered the Fett genome to make them faster, stronger and more intelligent, but not more compliant.  So, as the story begins, one of their newly hired instructors is tasked with "disposing of defective merchandise", that is, 6 of these 4-5 year old kids, hatched a couple of years previously.  It does not go well.  For the Kaminoans.

There's a lot of Mando'a culture and vocabulary being thrown at you.  Both the instructors we follow have different style, the nearly sadistic Walon Vau and fatherly type Kal Skirate, but both of them like their boys - a lot -, and Skirata has adopted the Nulls, and later on, some of the other clones.

Unfortunately, this series conflicts with the Clone Wars tv series in a major aspect, that of how Order 66 happenned, and also, it was never completed.  It's obvious the "last" book wasn't supposed to be the last, but we're stuck with an unfinished story.  First time ever something like this happens to me in SW 'verse.  I should have read the book's review before starting them.  Oh well.

The stories are mostly character driven, there's not a lot of war-like action, except in the first book, where the clone commandos first meet their Jedi commanders, in the form of a lost commando separated from his brothers and a Jedi Padawan separated from her master.

It ain't the best SW books I've read, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.  If you're curious and Mandalorians, their culture, traditions, etc, this is the book series for you.  If you dream of heroic Jedis braving insurmountable odds... not so much.  Like I said, the characters are interesting and well defined, especially the clones, possibly an easier thing to be done in books than visually when you're always trying to remember which one wears blue and who has the shaved hair, the short hair or the mohawk haircut.

As in the tv series, it's still funny, when you think about it, that clones roughly the same biological age (a matter of months, mostly) will think of other clones as "highly respected veteran" or "kid".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I don't think it's possible for Jedis to face insurmountable odds, given they are magic.  :P