News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on February 08, 2021, 01:15:53 AM
I will say this. As much as I would love a new Kotor game and to get parts of Kotor brought into the current canon, I always found the "this happened 4000 years ago but the technology is roughly the same" part of the Kotor lore a bit problematic  :ph34r:

I mean, it doesn't matter for a videogame, but it would kinda bug me if they ever made an Old Republic show. So far references to ancient times (Jedi temples and such) are always kinda vague and they work.

That's a problem of the games, though. The original comics looked a lot more archaic with their ships and architecture. The games, though somewhat based on the comics, were more of a Star Wars re-imagining than a vision of what the galaxy looked like 4000 years earlier. A way to tell an original story with the familiar elements of the universe (The Force, light sabers, hyperspace travel, aliens, an evil empire) without having to worry about the mainstream canon much.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Yeah, the original comics were essentially "sword and sorcery in space". Still a bit problematic but less so.

The Kotor games imho could have been set 100-200 years before the prequels and enjoy the same freedom. This is what High Republic is going for, I presume.

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2021, 03:39:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2021, 04:32:10 PM
There are persistent rumors that a KOTOR III is in development, but it has nothing to do with EA/Bioware.

Not much has filtered since last year, just more&more rumors going on.  Eventually, something will come of it.

Is it Obsidian? Please don't be Ubisoft.

Ubisoft is, in fact, making an open world Star Wars game: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/jan/14/the-force-re-awakens-ubisoft-working-on-new-open-world-star-wars-game

Syt

EA also confirmed that they're working on a Star Wars shooter.

The real question, though: where's the new Star Wars strategy game? Rebellion and Battlegrounds are showing their age these days. :P

Actually, my one complaint about Star Wars games is that basically all titles need to be mass market compatible. Can still create great games (Fallen Order, Battlefront II after a gazllion content updates), but I miss experimentation. Games Workshop seems MUCH more liberal to let developers throw things at the wall and see what sticks. Between Vermintide, Bloodbowl, Total War, Gladius, Armageddon, Battlfleet Gothic Armada, Mechanicus, etc. etc. they've all kinds of genre covered in recent years.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, I want a game like Privateer or Freelancer set in the Star Wars universe, dammit. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Well, with the whole Lucasfilm Games being brought back and opening up the licenses to other publishers hopefully we'll get some variety. Rebellion was actually pretty unique when it came out.

The X games have many Star Wars mods :P

Syt

MODS ARE NOT THE SAME THING :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Incidentally, my very first Star Wars game was Return of the Jedi which I played on a friend's Amstrad. I still remember to this day when, after a run of incredible luck, I managed to finish all levels and destroy the Death Star reactor, only to then find out I had to cross all the map again on the reverse to escape the explosion, which I failed to do so, prompting copious nerd rage.  :P

Duque de Bragança

celedhring

Yep, although it probably doesn't sound as nasty in Catalan.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Yeah, Castilian would be a better bet in that aspect.  :P

Tamas

celedhring

I used to play the Star Wars Reborn mod for X3. Some cursory googling shows that it hasn't been updated in a while but a few more have came out since, building on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=197U5_QRITA&list=PLdPGT1zHAPjXdYW9WQDzL1yPrQ-nl9vtQ&ab_channel=TheFlumpySquid

I know there are some for X4 (which have better graphics and even ship interiors), but they don't seem as complete.

celedhring

Syt

I'm not up to date on what modders do, but when I used to follow Star Wars mods for non-Star Wars games, most projects went like this
- "This will be a total conversion, recreating the Star Wars universe in [game]!"
- "Here's some Star Wars 3D models imported into the game!"
- [crickets]

:P
—Stephen Jay Gould