News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I've read up on this Acolyte thing. So it's essentially Knights of the Not-Old Republic? Heh, I'll check it out.

I wish somebody decided to bring the Tales of the Jedi comics back into the canon... man, I loved that shit as a kid.

FunkMonk

Not gonna lie, 90% of this show for me was the relationship between Mando and the kid. Not sure how next season is going to turn out now  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

:cry:

I always thought that linking Baby Yoda with Luke would be narratively interesting. Given that Luke was trained by Yoda, having him train Grogu is a nice closing of the circle. I never thought that they'd pute Luke on the show, though (Boba Fett? Sure, he's a glorified background character, but Luke is a big deal), I thought it was way too important a character, but man am I happily surprised. And let's not forget R2 - D2 and his happy beeping! This is the kind of fanservice that warms my soul.  :P

Now, this opens tons of questions for next season. I even discussed it with a buddy this week, he argued that if Baby Yoda was to be finally delivered to the jedis then the show would stop having a purpose, while I thought that the protagonist is the Mando, not Baby Yoda (as much a scene stealer and fan favourite as he was). Let's see what happens now...

Berkut

Sigh, very dissapointed that fucking Luke showed up.

First of all, it makes no sense. They are talking about Baby Yoda being super important, and he ends up with THE primary character in a story arc that has been done to death, yet we've never heard of him before? How does that make any sense?

But more importantly, once again, the writers lack imagination. A universe of 10,000 planets with trillions of sentient beings, and it has to be fucking Luke who strolls in. At least they weren't on Tattooine. The SW universe is apparently about the size of a high school campus.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2020, 08:35:14 AM
but I feel after I watched the finale my main reaction is: er, ok, now what?
that's called a cliffhanger, I believe :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2020, 11:17:15 AM

Fans were suggesting Sebastian Stan (Winter Soldier) as a possible recast for a young Luke.
he has his own series :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Legbiter

I had to go into a 1 week quarantine because of an infected teacher at my local school, with my 7 year old son. He loves the series. Me, we've watched the first 3 episodes and will keep going. Except I'm imaging this is a tragedy involving a upstanding citizen who via an alien mind parasite turns on longstanding colleagues, friends, and even family.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on December 18, 2020, 09:49:42 PMFirst of all, it makes no sense. They are talking about Baby Yoda being super important, and he ends up with THE primary character in a story arc that has been done to death, yet we've never heard of him before? How does that make any sense?

That's one thing where I trust the writers for now. A big question during the run of Clone Wars was what to do with Ahsoka. She was arguably the most important person in Anakin's live together with Padme and Kenobi yet wasn't heard or seen of in the movies ever. They handled that quite well IMO with her arcs in the last two seasons of Clone Wars (the finale intersecting a few times with the events of Revenge of the Sith), and her role in Rebels. I expect them to have a good explanation what happened with Grogu as well. Kylo Ren's massacre is ca. 20 years into the future, so I'm sure he will leave before then. Also, much of the gap between ROTJ and TFA is not very mapped out yet in stories and comics, especially for the main cast, so there's a lot of wiggle room yet.

I agree it's a bit odd that we keep returning to the same planets a lot, but to be fair, Tatooine showed up only once this season, and all other worlds were new or were created for the show (Nevarro). Tatooine is a fascinating setting for me, so I don't mind returning to it but YMMV of course.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I geeked out when it was Luke, even if the de-aging tech is still less than perfect.

Yeah, interested to see where it goes since Grogu apparently is going to be out of commission for along while (though I firmly believe he'll be back).  So I guess the ongoing storyline will be Din Djarin and his relationship with the rest of the Mandalorians?  Could be interesting.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

for a few seconds during the finale I hoped Filoni has managed to retrieve Kyle Katarn from the abyss (and why not: he canonized the dark troopers). Now that would have been a surprise

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2020, 02:01:46 AM
I geeked out when it was Luke, even if the de-aging tech is still less than perfect.

Yeah, interested to see where it goes since Grogu apparently is going to be out of commission for along while (though I firmly believe he'll be back).  So I guess the ongoing storyline will be Din Djarin and his relationship with the rest of the Mandalorians?  Could be interesting.

Yeah I also totally geeked out :D I think he looked as convincing as can reasonably be expected

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on December 18, 2020, 09:49:42 PM
Sigh, very dissapointed that fucking Luke showed up.

First of all, it makes no sense. They are talking about Baby Yoda being super important, and he ends up with THE primary character in a story arc that has been done to death, yet we've never heard of him before? How does that make any sense?

But more importantly, once again, the writers lack imagination. A universe of 10,000 planets with trillions of sentient beings, and it has to be fucking Luke who strolls in. At least they weren't on Tattooine. The SW universe is apparently about the size of a high school campus.
It reminds me of the Zahn books. I guess we should be happy Luuke hasn't shown up yet.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Finished Rebels season 2.

I'd have never figured out [spoiler]Darth Maul as the mannerly-speaking villain[/spoiler]. I guess I should finish watching Clone Wars at some point, but the number of seasons is a bit unwieldly.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2020, 11:16:22 AM
I guess I should finish watching Clone Wars at some point, but the number of seasons is a bit unwieldly.

Most episodes arrange into arcs. Just watch them one arc at a time (usually 2-5 episodes). Or take your time. No rush.

Kotaku has a list of key episodes for Season 1-6. I think its missing some interesting ones, but I feel it's a good starting point if you want the basic gist of it (feel free to skip the Zillo beast episodes, unless you want a Star Wars take on Godzilla and King Kong - Season 2 had several homages to classic movies). Personally, I would add Season 3, Episodes 15 - 17 (Overlords, Altar of Mortis, Ghosts of Mortis), but the episodes are very divisive among fandom, and a lot of people hate the side of force mysticism it added. And the Season 2 episode Bounty Hunters for a Star Wars take on Seven Samurai.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.