News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2020, 02:29:23 PM
Also, can we all pause and take a moment to appreciate just how diverse and accepting the First Order was? Women, men, blacks, white, Asians, old, young, and even a Ginger at the very top! Truly the fascism of the future.

I'm okay with that, because you know who you don't see working for the First Order?

Aliens.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on January 02, 2020, 02:53:16 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2020, 02:29:23 PM
Also, can we all pause and take a moment to appreciate just how diverse and accepting the First Order was? Women, men, blacks, white, Asians, old, young, and even a Ginger at the very top! Truly the fascism of the future.

I'm okay with that, because you know who you don't see working for the First Order?

Aliens.

Just like the Empire, right?

Berkut

I spent like 2 and a half hours on my alternate ending, and you fuckers are like "Disney would not go for it". No shit.

You people are a waste of my writing talents, and that is saying something!

:P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2020, 04:28:51 PM
I spent like 2 and a half hours on my alternate ending, and you fuckers are like "Disney would not go for it". No shit.

You people are a waste of my writing talents, and that is saying something!

:P

You had to put it under a spoiler tag, in a quote, and apparently shrink the text size?  :bleeding:

After copy-pasting it into something readable...  My problems with the movie weren't in the final scenes, but in how we got there.  The ending we got handled itself about as well as it could have.  By necessity, when you bring back Palpatine, and include a set-piece in the Death Star 2.0 throne room, is going to have to echo the ending of ROTJ.  I'm all for a more morally ambiguous ending, but I don't think a kids movie like Star Wars was ready for an ending that ambiguous.

Actually that segues into one other issue I had with the ending - not only is the theme from TLJ that "The Jedi have to end", but that that reasoning flows from the notion that there is always balance between dark and light.  The Jedi/the Light, CANNOT win against the Sith/the dark.

Josquius

I saw Rise Of Skywalker.

It has some nice scenes. It isn't awful. But....it often appears to be just a collection of set pieces loosely connected. The start especially is just out of nowhere.
It seems like the writerss had a lot of ideas and decided to just cram them all in with no editing. The plot as it unfolds would be more suited to a miniseries.
Oh. And the light speed skimming thing is stupid.

I get heavy vibes of a Lando and black girl with gap teeth spin off series. I really recognise that girl despite her not having been in much :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Finally to around to seeing it. I don't get the hate for it.  It's got a light touch, daring-do, sense of fun.  It's very Star Warsy and isn't that the point? The narrative is a bit of a mess but that's always been true from 1-8, why worry now?  The criticism that it crams too much in and the pace is too fast is fair - it does have the feel of an "MCU-style" Star Wars movie.  But that I fear is the unavoidable consequence of making sci-fi action movies for 2019 audiences as opposed to late 70s audiences.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

One thing I thought was silly was the dude getting cut in half by the door in the first scene.

1. Why shoot the tiny ass door control instead of the guy you are dragging through the door?
2. Wouldn't that destroy the door control anyway?
3. If you are going to kill him, why not just shoot him instead of using your rope thingie?
4. They don't have technology to keep sliding doors from chopping people in half if they happen to be inside them when it closes?

I gave up on the show at that point.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 06, 2020, 01:31:57 PM
One thing I thought was silly was the dude getting cut in half by the door in the first scene.

1. Why shoot the tiny ass door control instead of the guy you are dragging through the door?
2. Wouldn't that destroy the door control anyway?
3. If you are going to kill him, why not just shoot him instead of using your rope thingie?
4. They don't have technology to keep sliding doors from chopping people in half if they happen to be inside them when it closes?

I gave up on the show at that point.

You gave up on the show within the first 2-3 minutes?

Of course that was silly.  I mean modern elevators already have very low-tech safety measures to prevent people from being caught or cut in two.  One of many silly things in Star Wars (whats with the numerous bottomless pits everywhere with nary a safety railing in sight?).

The scene was intended to serve one purpose: it establishes Mando as a bad ass of few words.  And it works.

FunkMonk

Pretty sure he's joking. I think.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

Yeah, I did not quit of course. The show is great.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 06, 2020, 02:45:38 PM
Yeah, I did not quit of course. The show is great.

:hmm:  It can be so hard to tell with you...

The Minsky Moment

the other hint that the planet in question does not have tight OSHA enforcement is situating a landing strip in an area frequented by giant monsters that eat ship waste. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 06, 2020, 02:59:57 PM
the other hint that the planet in question does not have tight OSHA enforcement is situating a landing strip in an area frequented by giant monsters that eat ship waste.

The Galactic Empire probably cut their funding in a fit of austerity.  :(