And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Syt

Someone's been on Star Wars reddit. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Good and fun episode of the Mandalorian, but IMHO so far the weakest, and the plot was a bit of "no surprise theater" once it was set up.

[spoiler]Except for the last scene where another bounty hunter finds the dead Fennec Shand this didn't propel the main narrative forward IMHO. But it has me curious who the mystery person is. Considering the walking sound has a similar cowboy spurs ring to it as the Mandalorian's, it might be another Mando, but hard to tell. If I could wish for a cameo it would be Cad Bane from Clone Wars who would fit the western tropes perfectly.

At any rate, it was nice to see some familiar sights, like Mos Eisley and the Cantina (including trash heap in front of it), and the infamous IG head beverage dispensers. :D When Peli Motto assessed the ship's damage I was wondering if she would mention "carbon scoring" and she did. ^_^ (btw, Amy Sedaris was barely recognizable :D ) She was a fun quirky character and I wouldn't mind seeing more of her (I feel that way about many side characters).

I'm glad they resisted putting any "famous" characters onto Tatooine. That said, I hope the main arc picks up again soon, considering we have only 4 episodes to go in the season.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I enjoyed the episode and the westerness of it. This show is a strange animal, I like westerns a lot so this feels like your washed up favorite band from the 1980s playing covers from your favorite bands from the 1960s. There's absoultely nothing new here, but it's frankly enjoyable.

Syt

I agree. I mean, there's nothing wrong with retelling familiar stories in an unfamiliar setting. After all, that's what the original Star Wars was to a large extent.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I also couldn't avoid noticing that[spoiler] business in the Mos Eisley cantina seemed considerably down, and they went from "no droids" to have droids actually serving the drinks. This new management sucks.   :glare:
[/spoiler]

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2019, 01:29:28 PM
[spoiler]Except for the last scene where another bounty hunter finds the dead Fennec Shand this didn't propel the main narrative forward IMHO. But it has me curious who the mystery person is. Considering the walking sound has a similar cowboy spurs ring to it as the Mandalorian's, it might be another Mando, but hard to tell. If I could wish for a cameo it would be Cad Bane from Clone Wars who would fit the western tropes perfectly.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Star Wars reddit seems to think it's Boba Fett[/spoiler].

Syt

I liked the Slient Running hommage

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 11, 2019, 02:30:32 PM
https://twitter.com/joshgad/status/1204803549084807168?s=20

:lol:

Funny, but this implies that Rey's parentage is still up for debate?  I rather like how TLJ dealt with the question...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2019, 03:07:05 PM
I rather like how TLJ dealt with the question...

Setting up a big plot point only to not pay it off at all? Well to be fair that kind of garbage plotting and writing is what Star Wars is all about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2019, 03:07:05 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 11, 2019, 02:30:32 PM
https://twitter.com/joshgad/status/1204803549084807168?s=20

:lol:

Funny, but this implies that Rey's parentage is still up for debate?  I rather like how TLJ dealt with the question...

By that BIG SPIN I was entirely exhausted of all the BIG SPINS TLJ did.

I am fairly certain the director actually detests the whole Star Wars thing and wanted to show just how above the whole fairytale in space thing he is.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2019, 05:07:18 AM
I am fairly certain the director actually detests the whole Star Wars thing and wanted to show just how above the whole fairytale in space thing he is.

Considering the fact that Rian Johnson has signed up to do a whole trilogy of Star Wars movies I'm pretty sure you're wrong...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

There are a lot of rumors floating around that that trilogy has been axed.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien