And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 12:38:47 PM
Realized this show is only going to be 8 episodes long. :(

They are already prepping season 2, though.

Valmy

It is an hour long show right? That is pretty standard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2019, 01:07:43 PM

It is an hour long show right? That is pretty standard.

40 minutes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

What? Well I guess that is equivalent to a 15 or so episode long network season.

Still up your game Disney and give the people the 10 episodes per season they deserve.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Yeah, I was surprised that the episode was just 40 minutes long. I guess there's only so much you can stretch $120 mil with those production values (the show looks great).

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2019, 01:34:42 PM
Yeah, I was surprised that the episode was just 40 minutes long. I guess there's only so much you can stretch $120 mil with those production values (the show looks great).

Yes, it really does look like a movie.

And I love that it looks like it has a lot of practical effects, and not just CGI (although obviously there is some CGI).

FunkMonk

So Disney+ is good, right? The app itself I mean. Is the layout logical or is just a mishmash of random movies and TV shows that make it impossible to find, say, a collection of Star Wars media?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 13, 2019, 03:12:42 PM
So Disney+ is good, right? The app itself I mean. Is the layout logical or is just a mishmash of random movies and TV shows that make it impossible to find, say, a collection of Star Wars media?

It's very similar to Netflix.

Right off the bat you have buttons for Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic, so you can go right to those if you want.

Then it has categories like Originals, Recommended, Hit Movies, Trending, Out of the Vault (old Disney animation), Inspired by True Stories...

IF you want something very specific, there's a search feature as well.

So after watching The Mandalorian, and one episode of Star Wars Rebels with the kids, I fired up... The Black Hole, Disney's 1979 sci-fi extravaganza (I had to use the search feature).  I have a soft-spot for 1970s sci-fi, and this does not disappoint.  It looks gorgeous and goofy at the same time (Why does a robot have eyes?).  The story however makes very little sense.

The Minsky Moment

The app is pretty good but still needs some tweaking.  If you click on say Marvel it will give you a fancy Marvel graphic and then underneath there are lines for "movies", "series and specials", etc.  However, the "movies" line doesn't have all the Marvel movies on the site and there is no button to press for "all movies."  If there is movie not on the line you have to search for it.  [Also on the subject of Marvel the Neflix series aren't there]

On the ipad if you stopped a showing and then picked up later, it remembered my place; but it didn't when I tried the same thing on a Samsung TV.

Platform coverage is not 100%,for example the app isn't (yet) available through my Sony Blu-ray players.  Roku and Amazon sticks should work though as well as most if not all Android and ios devices.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Habbaku

Fuck them, then. Iron price, ahoy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Yeah, I'm broadly anti-pirate, but if there's no legitimate way to purchase a piece of media I'd pirate away without feeling bad about it.

Sheilbh

I haven't seen it yet, but think it's already worth however much money they spent for this interview with Werner Herzog:
QuoteFavreau has made some highly successful films recently; did you feel an element of pressure working with him?
I do not know what other films he has made.

You don't?
No.

He made "The Lion King" earlier this year with Beyonce and Donald Glover.
Well I like "The Lion King," but the animated version 30 years back or so. That was a wonderful film, the music was particularly great, Hans Zimmer's score.
[...]

Do you watch any television?
I do, I watch the news from different sources. Sometimes I see things that are completely against my cultural nature. I was raised with Latin and Ancient Greek and poetry from Greek antiquity, but sometimes, just to see the world I live in, I watch "WrestleMania."
[...]

So you've been watching "Keeping Up With the Kardashians?"
I'm starting to discover it. I'm curious; that's my guiding principle.
[...]

What's the next project you're working on?
I have a documentary on meteorites and the cultural implications they have, which I'm currently shooting. It's in the vein of the volcano film I made, "Into the Inferno," which is currently streaming on Netflix.

In that case, you have extra incentive to pay for some more streaming platforms.
You're right. I have no choice but to sign up for Disney Plus and Netflix. I shall go do that now.
Let's bomb Russia!