News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The Last Jedi was a trainwreck of a movie begging for serious editing, but there is no question that it dealt with the Rey parentage issue in the right way. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2019, 03:20:05 AM
I enjoyed the episode and the westerness of it. This show is a strange animal, I like westerns a lot so this feels like your washed up favorite band from the 1980s playing covers from your favorite bands from the 1960s. There's absoultely nothing new here, but it's frankly enjoyable.
I've finally binged watched all the 5 episodes so far yesterday night.
Very good show.

However, there was something a little off... I know Pedro Pascal is playing the part.  Well, I assume it's him, there's no way to confirm his identity... it could very well be an impostor!  :P
Joking aside, in GoT, I thought he had a slight spanish accent with a touch of britishness, here, it seems plain old american/yankee accent. 

And the more I listened to it, the more it reminded me of Clint Eastwood in his Sergio Leone movies.  The stance, the way he walks and stalks, it really reminds me of his character.

Also, there was a nice "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" moment with the Jawas :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

I liked the Last Jedi quite a lot - more than Force Awakens :ph34r: :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I liked the new movies so far, but I also enjoyed the prequels. I don't come to this series for deep, involved storytelling on the level of Breaking Bad, but rather for escapism in a cool universe. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I'm not a fan of the prequels - I think they're quite boring.

Also couldn't get into Solo only watched about half an hour and gave up.

Of the new ones though I love Rogue One the most :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Rogue One was really good, but I thought Solo was fine. Fun little heist movie. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

I kind of envy you guys, I find them all very cringey I just cannot enjoy them at all. The little annoyances in the original trilogy become much bigger in the later movies. They are also movies that the longer they sit in my mind after viewing the more I dislike them, never a good sign.

Ah well. I will always have KOTOR and KOTOR II.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I had my Star Wars peak in the late 80s/early 90s, when Star Wars was not big, and the EU didn't exist yet (except the old Marvel comics which I loved), so I'm just happy if new stuff comes out. There's of couese stuff that I like more or like less, or dislike, but overall I tend not to be overly critical of the franchise. I guess I'm in the same spot as people who watch every new Transformers movie, or Marvel movie, or the Fast & Furious franchise.

As said, it's mostly escapism for me. I love the universe, and I like seeing more of it (or returning to familiar places, like on The Mandalorian last week).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2019, 02:33:17 PM

Same here, but I recognize that TLJ doesn't really mesh well with what came before, and likely won't with what comes after.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on December 12, 2019, 03:30:17 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2019, 02:33:17 PM

Same here, but I recognize that TLJ doesn't really mesh well with what came before, and likely won't with what comes after.
Yeah - I don't know. I thought it was kind of going somewhere so Force Awakens was just classic-y Star Wars to me; then Last Jedi was confounding those expectations. Then you are free to move on to something else, but it sounds like it's going back to classic-y Star Wars. So it'll end up being a little weird in context, if fun on its own.

Real shame was that it became some massive Gamergate-esque pop culture war flashpoint which made having any conversation about it a little bit fraught :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Yeah, I stay out of those discussions.

I'm just glad that there's new generations of SW fans: https://gfycat.com/idioticsinfulgalapagostortoise
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2019, 02:49:01 PM
Rogue One was really good, but I thought Solo was fine. Fun little heist movie. :)

Solo would have been better as a sci-fi  heist movie. The stars wars nods get annoying fast.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2019, 02:49:46 PM
Ah well. I will always have KOTOR and KOTOR II.
with the Sith Lord restored content mod, I hope?  :!:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."