News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2023, 11:19:39 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2023, 08:54:45 AMIt was a whatever episode for me - at least they didn't get Omega to race, I'd hated that utterly.  :lol:

The most interesting bit, as viper points out, is that they're telegraphing Cid is going to fuck them over at some point.

Telegraphing?  They are hitting us with a cudgel.  This episode had no purpose - why go to the race?  Why make the bet?  Why follow a stupid plot line from episode 1 - you need to win a race to gain freedom, really?  All just to show some dialogue with someone from her past to show she is untrustworthy.  Well, we already knew that. 

This episode was terrible, if it had been amongst the first, I would have stopped watching.  I hope it is a momentary dip and not a trend.

I don't think it was that bad.  I mean it wasn't good - after I enjoyed last week's episode so much it was a disappointment, and it felt like a filler kind of episode.  But it wasn't that bad.

I thought the droid racer, TAY-0, was amusing, and the racing sequences were entertaining.  It just didn't otherwise move the story forward.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I don't mind filler, as I've said before. After the serious first three episodes I appreciated something a lot more lighthearted and fun. And I don't think it's filler. As you said, it looks like Cid will have to make a tough decision somewhere down the line, and this episode might have a big influence on how she'll call it - she seemed genuinely surprised that the Batch and Omega would go to such lengths for her. And I imagine we might not have seen the last of her old "friend."

I'm also not sure how this whole "laying low" is working out with Tech having a whole stadium of people shouting his name.  :hmm:

And the writers might bring back stuff back at any time. The Purrgil showed up in a "filler" episode of Star Wars Rebels in Season 2, and then played a critical role in the finale of Season 4.

Additionally, I think the episodes so far show a shift of the Bad Batch, with them becoming less one-note and more rounded than they were in S1 - Tech going beyond just cold analysis and numbers, Wrecker getting fairly sophisticated with his plan for the tank gun and guiding Hunter through the process, Echo ... having screen time :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2023, 12:00:27 PMEcho ... having screen time :P

Not this episode  :P

Normally, I'd chalk up having two major characters from a Tv show be missing from an episode for no reason to "they were shooting something else at the time", but that doesn't apply to BB since they are all voiced by the same guy   :lol:

Anyway, I don't mind filler, but this was pretty average filler. I.e. the Baby Rancor episode from S1 was much better "fun filler".

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2023, 12:16:45 PMNormally, I'd chalk up having two major characters from a Tv show be missing from an episode for now reason to "they were shooting something else at the time", but that doesn't apply to BB since they are all voiced by the same guy   :lol:

:o

I had no idea!

Googling - apparently this guy Dee Bradley Baker voiced all the clones in the Clone Wars, as well as all of the voices of the Bad Batch!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2023, 12:16:45 PMNormally, I'd chalk up having two major characters from a Tv show be missing from an episode for no reason to "they were shooting something else at the time"

My favorite of these was Robert Foxworth. He had portrayed General Hague on Babylon 5 (Sheridan's contact in Earthforce who believed Pres. Clarke was up to no good after Pres. Santiago died in an "accident".) He was supposed to reprise his role in a later episode, but he was already booked for DS9, which led to this amazing outtake ft. Bruce McGill who replaced him:

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2023, 12:58:54 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2023, 12:54:33 PMNot sure if serious ... :unsure:

Serious.  I didn't know that.

I didn't either. 

I think the reason they had Hunter on a mission is because if the whole team was together it would have been even more ridiculous that they needed to win a race to get out of trouble.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2023, 11:30:52 AMProbably needed to explain myself better. That Cid is shady is no surprise, what I mean is that the writers are hinting that it will be one of the arcs of the season. That is good imho because the whole "do odd jobs for Cid" setup is getting stale and needs a shakeup.

Sure, nothing with foreshadowing.  But that was a clunky way of doing it.  It really brought back bad memories of how silly the race in the first prequal was.

Syt

Star Wars Celebration is this year in London.

If you want photos/autographs from some of your favorites at the event, here's the latest price list. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Syt

Anthony Daniels = C-3PO in everything since first movie
Ashley Eckstein = Ahsoka (animated shows)
Dee Bradley Baker = voice actor on animated shows, primarily voicing every clone
Denis Lawson = Wedge
Giancarlo Esposito = Moff Gideon from Mandalorian (and Gus Fring on Breaking Bad :P )
Hayden Christense = Anakin from Ep. 2/3 and Obi-Wan Kenobi
Indira Varma = the Imperial officer who helped Obi-Wan
James Arnold Taylor = voice of Obi-Wan on Clone Wars
Katee Sackhoff = Starbuck on new Galactica, Bo-Katan Kryze on Clone Wars, Rebels, and Mandalorian
Mads Mikkelsen = Galen Erso in Rogue One and tons of other movies
Matt Lanter = Anakin on Clone Wars
Vivien Lyra Blair = Leia on Obi-Wan
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

My 9.5 years old son loved the Pod racing episode and didn't mind Hunter not being there. You know, the target audience of the show.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2023, 08:13:20 AMWho are these people?
Some actors with an overinflated sense of their value?

I would not be paying 200$ for some signature on top of the access fee to the event.  Then again, I wouldn't be going to such an event...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Bad Batch's treasure hunt episode was rather flat, imho. Pirates and buried treasures should be a home run for me (they seem to want to go for a bit of Goonies/Indy vibe), but the episode wasn't really that fun or creative. The trials felt a bit perfunctory.

It only got interesting when they reveal that the treasure was actually some kind of super-walker from a dead civilization, I wish they ellaborated a bit more on the lore surrounding it. Has this thingie shown up in other Star Wars media? I have to check if Star Wars Explained has touched on it.