News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Mine are from the Disney store. Cheap (30€ I think?), but super sturdy and do all the woosh and clash sounds when you swing them.  :P

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Another nice Andor episode, this time dealing with the aftermath of the heist. The Mon Mothma scene at the party was just delightful, as were the ISB meetings and politickeering. There's so much good dialogue in this show, I'm greatly enjoying it. Also some nice understated details, like the reveal of where the name "Clem" comes from.

My only "but" is that the way Andor was captured was a bit tacky. I get they want to show the Empire as an arbitrary society were no one is safe, but still felt a bit forced.

Syt

Actually, I liked the complete randomness of it. You think you are careful and play it safe and lay low but ... yeah, shit happens.

And man, I enjoyed seeing space Florida. It's something I've always been missing in Star Wars visual media - seeing glimpses into the everyday life of the universe, not just the high adventures of Big Damn Heroes(TM). And the vid screen in Syril's apartment gave me some serious Holiday Special flashbacks. The retro look of things in this is just wonderful. :D

Small thing - during the spaceport arrival scene, there was a hologram advertising "TASTY PEEZOS" followed by a message "CARRY YOUR CHAIN CODE FROM THE ISB". I was wondering if I had read "peezos" right, and then they were  mentioned at the end of the episode. This series is expanding the list of food items of the Star Wars universe considerably between blue noodles, cereal and now "peezos". :lol:

Btw, the gang stole 80 million credits last episode. According to Wookieepedia, the canon price of a new X-Wing is 150k (new) or 65k (used). That's a lot of X-Wings.  :ph34r: (I try not to question too much why the Empire still uses physical currency instead of traceable electronic money, or why something like 500+ million credits are stashed on Aldahni in the middle of nowhere. :D )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

That Space Florida scene made me think of something. Have we ever seen KX droids outside of Rogue One?

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2022, 06:27:59 AMThat Space Florida scene made me think of something. Have we ever seen KX droids outside of Rogue One?

Yes, in the scourging of Mandalore flashback in BoBF.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2022, 06:05:18 AM(I try not to question too much why the Empire still uses physical currency instead of traceable electronic money, or why something like 500+ million credits are stashed on Aldahni in the middle of nowhere. :D )

That's just goes to the retro-futurism of Star Wars.

You'd think a society that masters FTL travel would have advanced bio-security measures that would prevent Rebel troops from routinely sneaking into Imperial bases and stealing Imperial hardware, but there you have it.

Heck-Obi-wan didn't even need a password to turn off the shield generator.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

The writing for this show is really good.

When compared to any other Star Wars we've seen on the screen, it's head and shoulders above it.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2022, 10:29:05 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2022, 06:05:18 AM(I try not to question too much why the Empire still uses physical currency instead of traceable electronic money, or why something like 500+ million credits are stashed on Aldahni in the middle of nowhere. :D )

That's just goes to the retro-futurism of Star Wars.

You'd think a society that masters FTL travel would have advanced bio-security measures that would prevent Rebel troops from routinely sneaking into Imperial bases and stealing Imperial hardware, but there you have it.

Heck-Obi-wan didn't even need a password to turn off the shield generator.

That's fair. :)

Btw, the scenes in space Florida were actually filmed in Blackpool, England:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Caf%C3%A9+Cove/@53.884418,-3.0493562,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b5ca64aea9f25:0xda63c8126113c88c!8m2!3d53.884418!4d-3.0471675?hl=en

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

This, together with the scenes in the brutalist sections of Coruscant (Syril's apartment, where Vel and Luthen's assistant meet) take me back to old 70s sci-fi where then hyper-modern buildings were used as futuristic sets in movies. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Big fan of Major Partagaz, btw. Qyburn hits the exact right note for the role. Everytime there's an ISB meeting room scene I giggle in anticipation. The fact Pertagaz is actually a Catalan surname makes me somewhat root for him too, despite being a villain :D

Loved the Yularen cameo, too. Andor doesn't do much fanservice and when it does it's usually understated stuff like that. I appreciate it.

Habbaku

I could watch hours of ISB internal politics with this level of writing and be happy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

This is the first time someone has created a Star Wars world that feels substantial. The Complete lack of the name Skywalker being dropped helps a lot.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2022, 09:25:59 AMThis is the first time someone has created a Star Wars world that feels substantial. The Complete lack of the name Skywalker being dropped helps a lot.

You just don't see this degree of character development and attention to detail in most action-fantasy shows. I don't know how successful it is - I'm afraid the general audience may find it just too slow - but I hope it does well enough that Gilroy gets more cracks at the Star Wars universe.

And yeah, I appreciate the lack of established characters in the show - besides Mon Mothma, who's so well fleshed out that I don't care. I love for example how she looks so fragile and always on the defensive in her meetings with Luthen, but then you have that "you may find my politics a bit too strong for your taste" moment at the party and you realize there's much more steel in there than she lets on.

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on October 20, 2022, 09:16:47 AMI could watch hours of ISB internal politics with this level of writing and be happy.

Hopefully they will make a villain protagonist series at some point. Agent Kallus from Rebels is an obvious choice, being a fan favorite character.