News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Another good episode, slowly building up the tension and adding more layers to the characters. I really hope following this show we will get a bit more character drama in Star Wars shows. :)

I know the show was filmed at a reservoir in Scotland, but it gives me WW2 Norway vibes, a resistance cell trying to take on the nazi base (I guess that makes Coruscant Berlin?  :hmm:  :P ). Can't help but feel reminded of 633 Squadron (which inspired the Star Wars trench run), except that the target at the end of the valley/fjord is a dam, not a rocket fuel factory, and they're planning a heist, not the destruction of it. Ok, it's just the landscape. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Really looking forward the next episode. After that wonderful action scene in ep 3 I'm expecting a peak "infiltrate Imperial base" Star Wars moment.

Syt

Eckhard's Ladder had an interesting take - he says it's the "anti-YouTube" Star Wars show. He says it's his favorite Star Wars live action show so far (or on par with S1 of Mando), but that for the SW lore fans there's little of the usual stuff to talk about - few tie ins with existing lore, very limited fan service, no force users or light sabers, and episodes with no action, but still amazing to watch, allowing us to stay with the characters and getting attached to them. This episode was a good example. While the focus was on the resistance cell we checked in with the main characters so far: Syril, Luthen, Mon Mothma, the Imperial turncoat in the base, and the ISB agents, even if it's just one scene.

The only ones missing (notably) are Andor's old friends, but I assume that will be saved for a scene where they reunite and realize they've all changed, in the intervening time; Andor becoming a Rebel agent, his friends suffering under the occupation in the wake of his actions.

Actually reminds me more of something like Better Call Saul or Breaking Bad (though I don't think it's on that level; but a show like those would work well within SW, I think).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

It was also funny that Syril's mom calls his uncle for a new job; the day before I had watched the Veep episode where Jonah's mom calls his uncle to get him a new job. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2022, 05:11:57 AMIt was also funny that Syril's mom calls his uncle for a new job; the day before I had watched the Veep episode where Jonah's mom calls his uncle to get him a new job. :lol:

My favorite part of that scene is Syril having blue milk with his cereal  :P

celedhring

Fantastic Andor episode. The heist was great, very tense, yet not too over the top (which would feel out of place in a show with that tone). Also probably the most visually compelling episode so far.

I remain in awe how the show manages to give a personality to so many tertiary characters in the show, like the base commander, or how it managed to make me genuinely care for all the members of the rebel cell that inevitably die during the heist.

Syt

Agreed.

What do you think? Did the commander's family live or did Cinta take vengeance for her family? :ph34r:
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I think she did. Such a nice detail when they show her at the end.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2022, 04:42:36 AMI remain in awe how the show manages to give a personality to so many tertiary characters in the show

It's because it takes its time instead of jumping from one spectacle to the next. Don't get me wrong, I like the more action focused Star Wars, too, but in Mandalorian or Book'o'Boba the plot so far would probably have been covere in less than half the runtime which ends up creating some more or less interesting characters that you only see briefly and wish you'd see more of (which was one of the things books and comics often thrive on - "you liked this character who only had three scenes? Here's a novel/full six-episode comic about them!").
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

My boy has gotten into Star Wars now... mostly via Star Wars Lego and the interests of his peer group.

Other than the Lego (of which he has plenty) we got him an R2-D2 Tamagotchi.

The next concession was to sign up for Disney+, even though I'm very anti-Disney. We watched A New Hope last weekend, and will watch The Empire Strikes Back next weekend. It is probably inevitable that we watch all the series and all the new stuff over time.

I also got him this for his upcoming birthday:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-legion/products/clone-wars-core-set/

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

If he's into Star Wars you have to get him a plastic lightsaber.  The kids got so much use and enjoyment out of them when they were really quite cheap toys.

And if you've got Disney+ there are so many cartoons!  Sometimes watching a whole movie can be a big commitment, but put on an episode of Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, or what's that one in the sequel era... (google - Resistance) for a quick Star Wars hit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2022, 05:06:53 AMEckhard's Ladder had an interesting take - he says it's the "anti-YouTube" Star Wars show. He says it's his favorite Star Wars live action show so far (or on par with S1 of Mando), but that for the SW lore fans there's little of the usual stuff to talk about - few tie ins with existing lore, very limited fan service, no force users or light sabers, and episodes with no action, but still amazing to watch, allowing us to stay with the characters and getting attached to them. This episode was a good example. While the focus was on the resistance cell we checked in with the main characters so far: Syril, Luthen, Mon Mothma, the Imperial turncoat in the base, and the ISB agents, even if it's just one scene.

The only ones missing (notably) are Andor's old friends, but I assume that will be saved for a scene where they reunite and realize they've all changed, in the intervening time; Andor becoming a Rebel agent, his friends suffering under the occupation in the wake of his actions.

Actually reminds me more of something like Better Call Saul or Breaking Bad (though I don't think it's on that level; but a show like those would work well within SW, I think).

I like the smaller focus. Don't try to tie everything to Palpatine and all the epic stuff, at least not yet. We get the Star Wars Barney Miller. That's fun.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2022, 12:24:05 PMIf he's into Star Wars you have to get him a plastic lightsaber.  The kids got so much use and enjoyment out of them when they were really quite cheap toys.

I still do the occasional lightsaber battle with my brother and we are both in our 40s  :blush:

MadImmortalMan

In my family everyone has one. My fault--every nephew's birthday.  :P

Ultrasabers, mostly. You can beat the shit out of them against each other like movie props. Sixty bucks range for most of the cheap kid ones, but some have been used underwater and still been revived. I've even used color photo films to change the colors to other stuff like orange, gold or silver.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers