And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Eddie Teach

What's this nonsense about Jabba the Hutt being in Episode IV?  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2019, 01:17:17 PM
I need more Baby Yoda in my life.  :blush:

I might be a heretic, or just a scrooge, but Baby Yoda does not impress me.  :sleep:

HVC

ok there Shania

i'll probably watch the new movie and dislike it like all the other new trilogy films, but still gotta do it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

I'd like to see you move objects with your mind. :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Well, that sucked.

Decent Dark Horse-ish climax, but overall it just feels they were improvising. Some of the plot points are pretty silly. It feels this trilogy either never had a plan, or had a different one every movie.

There's this moment where Rey wonders [spoiler]why Leia trained her despite knowing she was a Palpatine[/spoiler] and I almost screamed "because they just made this shit up!"

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 20, 2019, 04:36:57 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2019, 01:17:17 PM
I need more Baby Yoda in my life.  :blush:

I might be a heretic, or just a scrooge, but Baby Yoda does not impress me.  :sleep:

A brilliant marketing ploy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

FunkMonk

If there's one thing Disney knows how to do it's create adorable fictional creatures.

Anyway, I'm rewatching The Phantom Menace for the first time in maybe 10 years and, uh, I kinda like it a whole lot better than the new trilogy. Maybe it's the general shittiness of the Disney trilogy in comparison.

Who knew the Mouse could so successfully rehabilitate an aging, past it genius?

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/the-mandalorian-star-wars-baby-yoda

Quote[...]

Allow Deborah Chow, the director of episode three of the series, to explain what she witnessed:

"I had a day with one of the weirdest moments I've ever had directing," she told Vanity Fair. "I was directing Werner with the puppet, and Werner had just fallen in love with the baby. Werner, I think, had forgotten it wasn't actually a live creature, and started sort of...directing the baby."

It's as charming, but no less surreal. "Werner is talking to the baby as if it was a real thing. And I'm trying to direct Werner," Chow said. "And I'm just like, How did I get here? How did my life end up like this?"

[...]

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2019, 07:35:32 PM
If there's one thing Disney knows how to do it's create adorable fictional creatures.

Anyway, I'm rewatching The Phantom Menace for the first time in maybe 10 years and, uh, I kinda like it a whole lot better than the new trilogy. Maybe it's the general shittiness of the Disney trilogy in comparison.

Let us not exaggerate, shall we? Jar Jar Binks, midichloridians i.e the rape of childhood can only happen once (all right maybe twice with the  Last Indy movie).
The lack of direction or vision in the new trilogy, specially the last movie is jarring though.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2019, 02:45:47 AM
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/the-mandalorian-star-wars-baby-yoda

Quote[...]

Allow Deborah Chow, the director of episode three of the series, to explain what she witnessed:

"I had a day with one of the weirdest moments I've ever had directing," she told Vanity Fair. "I was directing Werner with the puppet, and Werner had just fallen in love with the baby. Werner, I think, had forgotten it wasn't actually a live creature, and started sort of...directing the baby."

It's as charming, but no less surreal. "Werner is talking to the baby as if it was a real thing. And I'm trying to direct Werner," Chow said. "And I'm just like, How did I get here? How did my life end up like this?"

[...]

:lol:

It's all both hillarious and lovely.  :lol:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 21, 2019, 05:21:28 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2019, 07:35:32 PM

Let us no exaggerate, shall we? Jar Jar Binks, midichloridians i.e the rape of childhood can only happen once (all right maybe twice with the  Last Indy movie).
The lack of direction or vision in the new trilogy, specially the last movie is jarring though.

Oh, they're definitely bad movies. Bad ideas that no one told Lucas were shit, like midichlorians ( :lol: ), bad acting, convoluted plots, etc etc, the Prequels faults have been told to death.

But at least Lucas had a vision and stuck to it. Those movies complement each other more than the sequels do. On the scale of bad movies, I'm starting to prefer the prequels to the Disneys.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

I see we're you're coming from but the prequels are just too incompetent. At least with the current ones I can switch off and be decently entertained. Sometimes.

Plus, there's Rogue One.

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on December 20, 2019, 06:49:59 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 20, 2019, 06:35:25 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2019, 06:28:40 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2019, 06:10:56 AM
Incidentally, this show is the first time in Star Wars canon I remember body armor actually being defensively useful and not just there to make characters look cool (which it does) - [spoiler]Mando's beskar armor has already blocked several blaster hits[/spoiler]. Now cue Syt saying how we already saw that in Clone Wars season 7 ep 93.

We already saw that in Episode VIII [spoiler]with Captain Phasma and her chromium armor.[/spoiler] :P

Saw a speculation that [spoiler]Mando will remove the helmet ... to shield Baby Yoda (because blaster proof)[/spoiler].

Getting into speculative territory, I was told yesterday that one of the reasons for episode 7 to be pushed forward and be shown before Episode IX was because [spoiler]they wanted to show Baby Yoda using the Force for healing, when he prevents Carl Weathers' character from dying from the poison, as it is speculated that in Episode IX they'll show a similar healing done through the Force and wanted the precedent to be there ahead of the film[/spoiler].

That's pretty much exactly what happened.

You know, if they were worried about introducing new never-seen force powers, I'd rather they looked at [spoiler]that weird Ben/Rey space-bending malarkey.[/spoiler]

frunk

My standard reaction to Abrams movies is:

Right after - That was fun, but...
An hour later - That was dumb.

I probably won't see it in the theater unless my relatives want to go over Christmas.