News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Enjoyed the final episode, even though I thought the action was dragged out maybe a bit too much. But everyone gets a chance to shine and look cool, so that's fun.

Story wise, I'd rate the conclusion as "fine". It wraps up the main arc, sets up one or two things for the future but otherwise doesn't leave too much dangling.

I agree with cel, many points were either telegraphed or were quite easy to expect - like [spoiler]Boba and the Rancor, or Boba vs Bane where BF looses on blasters but wins on gaffi stick. I really liked that they called back to their history, and I thought their confrontation was quite satisfying. No Fennec/Cad Bane callback, though. Bane may be dead, but he could easily show up in Kenobi or Andor. Come to think of it, I think Lando would be an awesome foil for him, if that show ever gets made. :D[/spoiler]

Bunch of call backs to classic movies. [spoiler]Boba/Din fighting together made me think of Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, the scene with the Gamorreans and the train calling back to Once Upon A Time in the West, kaiju movies/King Kong etc.

I love Peli, but the way she showed up in the middle of the fight felt VERY contrived, as did that Luke would just send R2 and his X-Wing to deliver Grogu? Err ... Also, are the Gamorreans the only "recognizable" members of Boba's troops who died? :( Though I guess one of the mods also died.

I liked that Grogu seems to be a bit less violent and impulsive following his training with Luke. E.g. calming the Rancor into sleep (and then cuddling up with him ... awwww :wub: ) and uses maybe the force more easily (like when he jumps into Din't arms). And the ending scene with Din and Grogu was obviously adorable.[/spoiler]

So what remains? A really weirdly structured seven episodes as mentioned before. Overall a decent story with good components, but It somehow feels less than the sum of its parts, because it felt so unstructured.

[spoiler]We see Boba Fett finally cutting loose from his past - he literally kills it. Fennec seems to not fully on board yet, based on their discussion re: profiting from spice trade at the start of the episode. Din's and Grogu's plot and character arcs get moved forward a bit. I wonder if Din would have been all in on the "let's die together" thing with Boba if he had known Grogu was on his way to him? For now the conflict seems resolved. Cobb Vanth is getting the bacta treatment and will probably get some cybernetics and probably take over from Boba Fett, I suppose?[/spoiler]

Someone said that the show has a bit of a "tell, don't show" problem. We hear about how the locals are suppressed, how ruthless the Pykes are, how spice is hurting a lot of people .... but we hardly see any of it.  I can't really disagree. :hmm: (I guess we would have needed an extra episode's worth of runtime to include it across the episodes, though?)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Btw, majordomo once again killing it! :lol: And [spoiler]are he and Peli an item now?[/spoiler] :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on February 09, 2022, 06:30:20 AM
Someone said that the show has a bit of a "tell, don't show" problem. We hear about how the locals are suppressed, how ruthless the Pykes are, how spice is hurting a lot of people .... but we hardly see any of it.  I can't really disagree. :hmm: (I guess we would have needed an extra episode's worth of runtime to include it across the episodes, though?)

Or just don't repurpose two full episodes of the show as Mandalorian S3 episodes?  :lol:

Also, [spoiler]we don't see Garsa in the entire episode despite them using the ruined club as shelter, so we can assume she's very much dead. Wasted character, imho.[/spoiler]

Syt

Yeah, completely unsure what the point of that character was, in hindsight. Maybe they'll flesh them out in a different show, but on this one it just felt quite unnecessary.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on February 09, 2022, 06:08:26 AM
I didn't get the post-credits scene, I guess I'll have to wait until the Star Wars savants chime in.

[spoiler]That guy looked like a Kiffar. Could it be Quinlan Vos?[/spoiler]

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on February 09, 2022, 06:58:18 AM
I didn't get the post-credits scene, I guess I'll have to wait until the Star Wars savants chime in.

I think that's the [spoiler]surgeon who added the cybernetics to Fennec in Ep. 4. The implication being that Cobb Vanth gets some implants.[/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on February 09, 2022, 07:02:22 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on February 09, 2022, 06:58:18 AM

I think that's the [spoiler]surgeon who added the cybernetics to Fennec in Ep. 4. The implication being that Cobb Vanth gets some implants.[/spoiler]

Ah okay, I forgot about that guy. :lol:

Syt

The homage to this scene gave me a big smile, though. :D

And of course:

—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

I was de determined to resist temptation, but now, I have to see it!  Damm it!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I think in retrospect I rate the series as "fine." The individual elements were sound, IMHO, some quite excellent, but it would have benefited from:
- having the plot in chronological order instead of the flashbacta
- add one episode's worth of runtime to better build out the Mos Espa gang war story and flesh out characters that got very little screen time for how they important they were made out to be at first
- better setting of expectations that there might be "detours" and major interludes to other characters than Boba in the story

Oddly, I found that the action scenes filmed by Robert Rodriguez were, overall, the weakest (the train heist is still my favorite from this run). The finale had some really awesome bits, but it also had times when it seemed to drag/sag unnecessarily. Also, it's best not to think too much about the action and how the "war" seemed rather small, but that's most of Star Wars for you. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Coming up next:

After that it's Andor in the Fall, and probably Mando S3 for Christmas or so. Bad Batch season 2 was also set for 2022, not sure where it slots in, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, on movie callbacks - I didn't notice the one in the previous episode, because it's been ages since I watched The Untouchables.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

On reddit, a helpful user provided a chronology of current canon adult/young adult novels (excluding short stories). Included MOVIES and TV SHOWS in caps as reference.

THE HIGH REPUBLIC

232 BBY - Light of the Jedi

232 BBY - Into the Dark

231 BBY - The Rising Storm

231 BBY - Out of the Shadows

231 BBY - Tempest Runner

231 BBY - The Fallen Star

231 BBY - Midnight Horizon

FALL OF THE JEDI

42-40 BBY - Padawan

39 BBY - Master and Apprentice

32 BBY - EPISODE I

32 BBY - Queen's Peril

28 BBY - Queen's Shadow

92-24 BBY - Dooku: Jedi Lost

22 BBY - EPISODE II

22 BBY - Brotherhood

22-19 BBY - THE CLONE WARS

22 BBY - Queen's Hope

19 BBY - Dark Disciple

19 BBY - Thrawn Ascendancy Trilogy

REIGN OF THE EMPIRE

19 BBY - EPISODE III

19 BBY - THE BAD BATCH

18 BBY - Ahsoka

22-17 BBY - Catalyst

14 BBY - Lords of the Sith

14 BBY - Tarkin

13 BBY - Most Wanted

11 BBY - A New Dawn

10 BBY - SOLO

9 BBY - OBI-WAN KENOBI

AGE OF REBELLION

5-1 BBY - REBELS

5 BBY - ANDOR

3 BBY - Leia: Princess of Alderaan

11-2 BBY - Thrawn

2 BBY - Thrawn: Alliances

1 BBY - Thrawn: Treason

13-0 BBY - Rebel Rising

0 BBY - ROGUE ONE

0 BBY - EPISODE IV

0 ABY - Inferno Squad

0 ABY - Heir to the Jedi

3 ABY - EPISODE V

6 BBY - 3 ABY - Twilight Company

4 ABY - EPISODE VI

THE NEW REPUBLIC

4 ABY - Alphabet Squadron

4 ABY - Aftermath

5 ABY - Shadow Fall

5 ABY - Life Debt

5 ABY - Empire's End

5 ABY - Victory's Price

11 BBY - 5 ABY - Lost Stars

10 BBY - 7 ABY - Last Shot

9 ABY - THE MANDALORIAN

9 ABY - THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT

18 ABY - Poe Dameron: Free Fall

21 ABY - Shadow of the Sith

28 ABY - Bloodline

RISE OF THE FIRST ORDER

32 ABY - Force Collector

28 - 33 ABY - Phasma

34 ABY - EPISODE VII

34 ABY - EPISODE VIII

34 ABY - Resistance Reborn

35 ABY - Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire

35 ABY - A Crash of Fate

35 ABY - EPISODE IX
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Well, the last episode of Boba is wickedly fun. Everything that happens was telegraphed a mile away in prior episodes, but nonetheless it is effective and enjoyable. I only felt [spoiler]the droid fight dragged on too long. And why couldn't they use the trick they use in Clone Wars? Those shields were supposed to work like the Dune shields[/spoiler]

I'm really impressed by Bane's facial animations, by the way. The teeth are distracting, but the "acting" is pretty damn good and always exudes menace. I hope we get to see more live action Cad Bane in some of the other shows [spoiler]I enjoyed how with just a few lines they can convey Bane's and Boba's story together[/spoiler]

Well I am glad someone enjoyed it.  I found it boring and stupid.   Boba turns out to be even more of a fool than previously thought.  He really just took everyone at their word that they would not turn on him?  Mando immediately recognized that was the smart play for the others.  And then childlike Boba repeated it was.  The episode is full of those sorts of things.  The cavalry turns out to be one transport of bad fighters (really that was what Boba was counting on to turn the tide).  Another stupid Western duel. 

And to top it all off, they could have just gone and taken out the leadership of the invading group all along.  The whole thing was ridiculous.

Mando should not have been splattered with this mess.

Syt

I totally want a sitcom about Peli. :D

Hell, I'd settle for an animated version. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould