News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2019, 05:44:39 AM
They have an interesting set of directors on this show, anyways. Deborah Chow is apparently going to be on the Kenobi series. Favreau and Filoni come with a decent amount of nerd cred. Rick Famuyiwa has done some decent character work. And the final episode is directed by Taika Waititi, so all bets are off on what that's gonna be like. :D

And the soundtrack is great. The main theme is probably the first piece of Star Wars music since Episode III (the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight) that I find myself humming/whistling randomly.

And one of the episodes was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard, Ron Howard's daughter, who also has plenty of nerd cred under her belt besides being her father's daughter.

celedhring

And the soundtrack is great. The main theme is probably the first piece of Star Wars music since Episode III (the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight) that I find myself humming/whistling randomly.

Oh yeah, I found myself humming the end theme the other day and couldn't quite place it where it was from, until I watched this week's episode.

celedhring

Incidentally, this show is the first time in Star Wars canon I remember body armor actually being defensively useful and not just there to make characters look cool (which it does) - [spoiler]Mando's beskar armor has already blocked several blaster hits[/spoiler]. Now cue Syt saying how we already saw that in Clone Wars season 7 ep 93.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2019, 06:10:56 AM
Incidentally, this show is the first time in Star Wars canon I remember body armor actually being defensively useful and not just there to make characters look cool (which it does) - [spoiler]Mando's beskar armor has already blocked several blaster hits[/spoiler]. Now cue Syt saying how we already saw that in Clone Wars season 7 ep 93.

We already saw that in Episode VIII [spoiler]with Captain Phasma and her chromium armor.[/spoiler] :P

Saw a speculation that [spoiler]Mando will remove the helmet ... to shield Baby Yoda (because blaster proof)[/spoiler].
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2019, 06:03:32 AM

Oh yeah, I found myself humming the end theme the other day and couldn't quite place it where it was from, until I watched this week's episode.

The composer (who is Swedish) is the same one from Community, apparently. He's also the producer for Childish Gambino, Daniel Glover's hip hop moniker.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2019, 06:28:40 AM

We already saw that in Episode VIII [spoiler]with Captain Phasma and her chromium armor.[/spoiler] :P

Saw a speculation that [spoiler]Mando will remove the helmet ... to shield Baby Yoda (because blaster proof)[/spoiler].

I'll excuse myself by the fact that I've watched Ep. VIII just twice and the Phasma scenes are among the most forgettable of the lot.  :P

The Larch

Getting into speculative territory, I was told yesterday that one of the reasons for episode 7 to be pushed forward and be shown before Episode IX was because [spoiler]they wanted to show Baby Yoda using the Force for healing, when he prevents Carl Weathers' character from dying from the poison, as it is speculated that in Episode IX they'll show a similar healing done through the Force and wanted the precedent to be there ahead of the film[/spoiler].

Solmyr

Quote from: The Larch on December 20, 2019, 06:35:25 AM

Getting into speculative territory, I was told yesterday that one of the reasons for episode 7 to be pushed forward and be shown before Episode IX was because [spoiler]they wanted to show Baby Yoda using the Force for healing, when he prevents Carl Weathers' character from dying from the poison, as it is speculated that in Episode IX they'll show a similar healing done through the Force and wanted the precedent to be there ahead of the film[/spoiler].

That's pretty much exactly what happened.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 20, 2019, 06:35:25 AM

Pretty sure that's a reason for it. [spoiler]It's funny seeing Force abilities from the old EU coming back. Similar to the ability that Quinlan Vos had of having visions of an object's past, kind of like Rey did in Ep. VII with Luke's lightsaber.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

You guys are cute, thinking they care about such stuff.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on December 20, 2019, 05:49:25 AM
And one of the episodes was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard, Ron Howard's daughter, who also has plenty of nerd cred under her belt besides being her father's daughter.
Yes, ever since she ran in front of a T-Rex in high heels, her popularity rating jumped sky high for nerds  :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on December 20, 2019, 07:39:54 AM
You guys are cute, thinking they care about such stuff.

Don't ruin our fun! :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2019, 10:12:01 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 19, 2019, 09:43:24 AM
I like your last paragraph. I would add Rogue One, as exceptional, in there too.

I agree. I guess part of it is that I always was curious about the Star Wars universe as a setting. "What else is happening out there?" It's why I generally didn't like the Expanded Universe's "continuation" stories, where the timeline is extended in the future and the Big Heroes (i.e. Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie) faced the warlord of the week (one of the reasons I liked the "clean slate" approach of the Contingency explained in the books/comics).

I preferred new characters and aspects, like the short story collections about the background characters in the Cantina and Jabba's Palace. Clone Wars has a lot of that, and so do Rebels, Rogue One, and Mandalorian.

And while they introduce cool and sympathetic new characters in Ep. VII - IX they seem to sag under the weight of the history of I - VI. It just feels, in sum total, off. They were off to a good start, but I feel they didn't give much room to the characters to grow and develop. In the original trilogy, Empire did a lot of that where we really get to know the characters after their introduction in A New Hope, and that gives a lot of weight to the events in ROTJ. I feel the sequel trilogy is lacking that.
I prefered stories that dealt with the Skywalkers/Solo, rather than other characters, most of the time.
And those with Jaina & Jacen Solo, as well as the death of the other kid.  Can't forgive them for killing Chewie, but for the rest, I liked it.

Syt

And that's what I like about Star Wars: Its setting is big enough and spans such a long time period that it has something for everyone. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

I need more Baby Yoda in my life.  :blush:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.