News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Twitter - anyone use it

Started by Barrister, November 07, 2019, 04:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Plausible deniability. There is almost certainly nothing positive that could come out of you getting verified.

Every day, there is a main character on Twitter. Twitter has one quest: don't be the main character. Being verified makes it more likely you'll be the main character.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I have an account. Virtually never use it. The occasional drive by poking of fascists only.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I have an account, I haven't posted since 2014 and I just use it to follow news/comedy accounts I like.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on April 26, 2022, 04:21:15 PMI have an account, I haven't posted since 2014 and I just use it to follow news/comedy accounts I like.

Yeah you explained that when you posted in this thread back in 2019  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2022, 08:31:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 26, 2022, 04:21:15 PMI have an account, I haven't posted since 2014 and I just use it to follow news/comedy accounts I like.

Yeah you explained that when you posted in this thread back in 2019  :P

Well, just updating you on the vital information that nothing has changed for me.  :P

I have lost 6 followers in these 3 years though, only 14 now  :(

Syt

I'm at 187, up by a few since last time. Not sure why, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

I joined to win a contest. I didn't. I don't post anything and rarely read anything except from my boss' boss so I know what he's thinking.

I think it encourages people to be trashbags to each other, and has led to these 'influencer' type shitbags getting elected to public offic.e
PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: ulmont on November 08, 2019, 08:15:26 AMSecond all of this, except that I check in a few times daily.  I have 4 lists: people I know IRL (plus a few people like you I know only from the Internet), chess, football, and a morning shortlist of about 20 people I tend to like to read.  Anything that isn't on a list, I never see.  So it's basically like an RSS feed (remember those) of 280-character blogs.

...almost 3 years later, I never bother to even check in and only interact with twitter to click through to a link and possibly retweet it, if I see it elsewhere.

DGuller

I just realized that lately I use Twitter as the only means to let me know when someone said or did something stupid.  Regardless of algorithm preferences, if something is stupid enough, it's going to trend.  I've long stopped following news unless the news somehow reaches me, so this and Languish is the only way for me to know.  It's probably not good to leave yourself to the whims of the algorithm like that, though.

The Minsky Moment

I use it follow some people with interesting (for me) accounts: Caixin and Michael Pettis for China, about 10 other econ types, ISW and Ukraine War maps for the war, Bill James, Tangotiger, Sarah Langs and Joe Posnanski for baseball, Victoria 3.  I've never tweeted.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Back in the day it was useful for directly contacting journalism, print or news channel.

Can't say that I've used in within the last couple of years.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on November 09, 2019, 05:10:29 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2019, 04:56:30 AMJoined December 2013
198 Following
30 Followers
274 Tweets

Keep it up. Hitler started with less. :)
Now

386 Following
73 Followers
1,440 Tweets
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

People seem to think that the stuff on Twitter is real. They are addicted to outrage and anger. 
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2022, 05:20:30 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 09, 2019, 05:10:29 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2019, 04:56:30 AMJoined December 2013
198 Following
30 Followers
274 Tweets

Keep it up. Hitler started with less. :)
Now

386 Following
73 Followers
1,440 Tweets

That's not a good k/d ratio.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?