News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Twitter - anyone use it

Started by Barrister, November 07, 2019, 04:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

My twitter account is over 10 years old. It has a grand total of 2 posts. Funnily enough, 20-something people follow me. Mostly old friends, but also a few I don't recognize.

So the answer is "no".

Hamilcar

Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2019, 05:56:27 AM
My twitter account is over 10 years old. It has a grand total of 2 posts. Funnily enough, 20-something people follow me. Mostly old friends, but also a few I don't recognize.

So the answer is "no".

Bots.

The Larch

I do use Twitter but almost never write anything myself, for me it's mostly a source of information and a way to follow live events or situations developing in real time. My activity there is quite up and down, though. In some periods I might log in daily, and then I'll ignore it for weeks and weeks.

It certainly takes a bit to learn how to use it in a productive way, otherwise it's easy to get overwhelmed by a never ending stream of new stuff. You have to ask yourself if it's going to be purely personal or also professional in some way, be selective on who you follow according to this, maybe do some thematic lists on particular topics, and possibly refrain from debating anything, as it's really a horrible medium for that.

ulmont

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2019, 07:24:14 AM
I do use Twitter but almost never write anything myself, for me it's mostly a source of information and a way to follow live events or situations developing in real time. My activity there is quite up and down, though. In some periods I might log in daily, and then I'll ignore it for weeks and weeks.

It certainly takes a bit to learn how to use it in a productive way, otherwise it's easy to get overwhelmed by a never ending stream of new stuff. You have to ask yourself if it's going to be purely personal or also professional in some way, be selective on who you follow according to this, maybe do some thematic lists on particular topics, and possibly refrain from debating anything, as it's really a horrible medium for that.

Second all of this, except that I check in a few times daily.  I have 4 lists: people I know IRL (plus a few people like you I know only from the Internet), chess, football, and a morning shortlist of about 20 people I tend to like to read.  Anything that isn't on a list, I never see.  So it's basically like an RSS feed (remember those) of 280-character blogs.

The Larch

Quote from: ulmont on November 08, 2019, 08:15:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2019, 07:24:14 AM

Second all of this, except that I check in a few times daily.  I have 4 lists: people I know IRL (plus a few people like you I know only from the Internet), chess, football, and a morning shortlist of about 20 people I tend to like to read.  Anything that isn't on a list, I never see.  So it's basically like an RSS feed (remember those) of 280-character blogs.

Good thing about lists, you don't have to actually follow the accounts!  :lol:

I have a bunch of lists, but I only really use a couple of them, both sports related. The rest is all a rather eclectic feed.

The Brain

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 08, 2019, 07:08:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2019, 05:56:27 AM

So the answer is "no".

Bots.

The band?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

The Brain

jimmy olsen

Joined December 2013
198 Following
30 Followers
274 Tweets
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2019, 04:56:30 AM
Joined December 2013
198 Following
30 Followers
274 Tweets

Keep it up. Hitler started with less. :)

Barrister

I was bored.  I looked up the criteria to get a Twitter blue checkmark:

https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/about-twitter-verified-accounts

I... I think I qualify as a government official?  I'd have to link my account to my work email, but otherwise I work for the government, I can find multiple news articles that cite me, etc.

Should I bother?  Or would that be more trouble than it's worth, as then I might be seen as representing the Justice Department when posting and now just my own opinions?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Might retweet the wrong thing and get fired.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.