News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Twitter - anyone use it

Started by Barrister, November 07, 2019, 04:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So I realized I'd been "using" twitter for several months by just going onto the Twitter website with no account, and checking on a handful of writers whose thoughts were interesting to me.  I'd also set up an account a couple of years ago when I was trying to show my dad what this Twitter thing was, but have never used it.  So I found my password, started following some people, and went from there.

It's an interesting social media site.  If you want a really deep dive on any particular topic, follow some of the right people (with a blue checkmark) and you can get all kinds of up-to-the-minute information on that topic.

But much like the comments site on any news site, don't ever read the replies...

So anyone else using Twitter?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

I think my Twitter account is coming up on six years old now. :)

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Using Twitter. Mostly following it for games, history, and nerdy things. Also: cute animals and stuff. I generally avoid the negativity of the platform. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Hit me up with your handle if you post anything.

To my surprise my account is over 5 years old, though I've never used it.

If anyone knows my name and is on Twitter, you can easily find my handle.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Syt1976. Mostly retweeting things these days. I was more active when I was streaming.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I used to use it all the time until about 2014 when I realized how vile and toxic it was. Also I am rather uncomfortable with the extent the Saudis own and influence it.

So generally I stay away.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2019, 04:32:56 PM
So I realized I'd been "using" twitter for several months by just going onto the Twitter website with no account, and checking on a handful of writers whose thoughts were interesting to me.  I'd also set up an account a couple of years ago when I was trying to show my dad what this Twitter thing was, but have never used it.  So I found my password, started following some people, and went from there.

It's an interesting social media site.  If you want a really deep dive on any particular topic, follow some of the right people (with a blue checkmark) and you can get all kinds of up-to-the-minute information on that topic.

But much like the comments site on any news site, don't ever read the replies...

Yeah, I follow some interesting academics who post a lot as well as a few journalists.  Just started following Rosemary Barton - she sure gets a lot of abuse from the Conservative faithful in the twittersphere. 

Hamilcar

I'm ashamed to say that I'm a blue checkmark.

Grey Fox

I use it. I don't tweet regularly but I read hockey, media (crtc) & sports things on it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Camerus

It's hard to imagine a less appealing way to spend one's time online.

mongers

Quote from: Camerus on November 07, 2019, 07:34:59 PM
It's hard to imagine a less appealing way to spend one's time online.

Enough about Languish, what about twitter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

I use Twitter as entertainment mainly. It can also be useful to see people's reactions to current events.

It did come in handy one day, though. Last year, at my old job, someone tried to walk into the building with a gun. He was stopped by the guards and he promptly shot himself in the head.

When this happened a very panicked public announcement was made over the building PA system instructing us to stay in our offices. They told of us nothing of the incident. I pulled up Twitter and within a minute found a local reporter who mentioned police activity on our street about a possible suicide.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2019, 04:32:56 PM
I seldom look at it.  I feel like Reddit is a much nicer place to get info.  Up to the minute headlines are always provided by newspaper sites, in depth analysis by some magazine sites, so I'm ok.  For clickbait stuff, I have the MSN page on Edge :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

No. But without Yi's "Hells" emphasis.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."