And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2021, 08:29:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2021, 08:03:46 AM
Plus leaving it out would have been quite the scandal.

Unlike the scandal they currently find themselves with given that oh turns out projecting modern sexuality labels back into the past was just a surface level thing they had added.

I have missed whatever actual scandal has been around this. But I recon if they only featured straight characters that could only have been worse.

And since there is no gameplay reason (even from a historical point of view) to include all colours of the current identity rainbow individually, somebody was bound to complain.

garbon

The complaint that made it into all the gaming sites was about how neither gay marriage nor gay consorts were permitted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2021, 08:46:57 AM
The complaint that made it into all the gaming sites was about how neither gay marriage nor gay consorts were permitted.

:huh: I mean, I don't remember if a gay character can have a same-sex lover but I assume so. What else can they ask for?

It's one of those things where it is the "progressives" requesting to white-wash history.

The Brain

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2021, 10:54:41 AM

:huh: I mean, I don't remember if a gay character can have a same-sex lover but I assume so. What else can they ask for?

It's one of those things where it is the "progressives" requesting to white-wash history.

Because having your horse as Pope or summoning the actual Devil is fine, but having gay marriage would be UNREALISTIC! :P

Sheilbh

To flip it round I think including sexual identity is more problematic than some form of gay consort because it's not quite right (although it might be a helpful tool) to throw homosexuality back through history when it didn't really exist.

On the other hand I can think of loads of examples of rumours around a same sex "favourite" in Medieval times that everyone in court noticed and that affected the politics of countries.
Let's bomb Russia!

Solmyr

Doesn't CK2 have a game setting at the start where you can select whether you want only historically correct marriages or anyone being able to marry each other? That seems like a good compromise.

Valmy

Favorites always influenced the politics of the country. And, as you even said when discussing Edward II I think, it was almost a shorthand for an inappropriate amount of influence. Like Alexandra and Rasputin, sure we know that nothing happened there but the influence was so inappropriate and pronounced that we even got a disco song about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2021, 11:40:21 AM
Favorites always influenced the politics of the country. And, as you even said when discussing Edward II I think, it was almost a shorthand for an inappropriate amount of influence. Like Alexandra and Rasputin, sure we know that nothing happened there but the influence was so inappropriate and pronounced that we even got a disco song about it.
Yeah I think a more developed favourites/consorts thing might be a way of doing it - so they have their own agenda (some will want to basically embezzle the kingdom etc). But of either sex they could be destabilising - as you say there's Gaveston and Despenser and, in a later period, Villiers.

That's more accurate than a bisexual medieval king.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on April 16, 2021, 11:38:41 AM
Doesn't CK2 have a game setting at the start where you can select whether you want only historically correct marriages or anyone being able to marry each other? That seems like a good compromise.

No. But it was probably modded in at some point.

Your choices were whether how interfaith and matrilineal marriages were handled.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Modding functionality which did exist in CK2. Sorry forgot to specify that.

Of course, it is always interesting what is considered 'beyond the pale' for Crusader Kings with a history argument when we are looking at a game where you can be an openly incestuous cannibal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Wait... so are people mad because they want their (presumably Christian or Islamic) ruler to enter a same sex marriage... in the middle ages? :huh:

Or is this cause their Game of Thrones mods or whatever fantasy mods are broken and you can't currently do it? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2021, 11:49:06 AM
Of course, it is always interesting what is considered 'beyond the pale' for Crusader Kings with a history argument when we are looking at a game where you can be an openly incestuous cannibal.

Yeah they have a lot of nonsense in there, so long as I had an option to disable it I was fine. No horses and bears and immortal shit for me.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2021, 11:50:12 AM
Wait... so are people mad because they want their (presumably Christian or Islamic) ruler to enter a same sex marriage... in the middle ages? :huh:

Or is this cause their Game of Thrones mods or whatever fantasy mods are broken and you can't currently do it? :hmm:

I just answered that shortly before you've asked. :hug:

garbon

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/crusader-kings-3s-latest-update-blocks-same-sex-relationship-mods

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/crusader-kings-3-should-fix-same-sex-relationship-mods-by-next-patch

Although both hyperlinks are a little misleading on exact situation. There's a long thread on modding forum for CK3 + a lot of commentary on most recent dev diary.