News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Yeah I think you'd be fine to buy it now but if you aren't in a hurry for a new game, you'll probably gain with waiting.

Josephus

So....unless you're playing as a king or emperor, you don't get to play with the new court stuff? Duke's don't have courts? Even if you're the highest liege?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on February 11, 2022, 12:26:49 PM
So....unless you're playing as a king or emperor, you don't get to play with the new court stuff? Duke's don't have courts? Even if you're the highest liege?

Yes and no. If you are a vassal with a king/emperor liege you can make all kinds of requests to your liege via the court, some are pretty strong. But no, you don't have your own court.

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on February 11, 2022, 12:26:49 PM

No do tribal groups like vikings have courts.

Anyways, looks like maybe I'm finally getting into CK3 after all. I've been playing for a bit and enjoying myself. Trying to play a viking game with partition and be okay with partitions and independent kingdoms and such... but damn it is REALLY hard to fight the "this was part of the realm and should remain part of the realm" impulse.

Tamas

Yeah I might be burning out again but I played it a LOT this week. I have noticed the More Game Rules mod has been updated, I'll probably start a new game with that one, it lets you customise a lot of things that annoy me.

On partition: I think it is new to this patch that they have hidden primogeniture behind a mid-late game tech, which I think is awesome. Primogeniture is easy mode, as a player you'd be stupid not to pick it up asap but afterwards most of the challenge goes out the window. Partition keeps things interesting. What I like to do is customise the next generation's inheritance while my character is alive, meaning that I grant enough titles to the non-1st sons (or daughters) so that when I check on the Succession tab I see they won't get any extra. So the main successor usually sits landless but hey.

jimmy olsen

With the exception of the Byzantines, primogeniture has always been locked until the last tech era in CK3
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2022, 04:25:36 AM
What I like to do is customise the next generation's inheritance while my character is alive, meaning that I grant enough titles to the non-1st sons (or daughters) so that when I check on the Succession tab I see they won't get any extra. So the main successor usually sits landless but hey.

Yeah me too. The main thing, I find, is that sometimes (almost all the time) I think I have it all figured out and then suddenly someone is standing to inherit something they really shouldn't (like a county in my core duchy).

Are there any good guides for how the AI actually decides who gets what, and how to arrange it so you get predictable outcomes?

I mean, with 1000s of hours in CK2 and 100s in CK3 I should've figured it out by now... but I haven't  :blush:

Tamas

I never bothered to figure it out. You just need to make sure you re-check after you gain new lands or a child with the applicable gender is born/dies. Then you cannot get surprises.

What's worse for me is keeping vassals under control. I haven't been able/motivated to follow whether it is mostly via inheritance or intra-realm warfare some of them extends out of their de jure duchies within my borders. That's annoying.

Tamas

One example re. flavour events and the actual game being out of synch. I decided to try a random character, ended up with a count in Arabia. Fine. Since I was tribal the first conquest took a LOT of prestige by the time it was over I was deep in minus with it, and with the rate I was able to gain it, it seemed like doubling his realm was all my guy could do in his lifetime. But wait, no! Sure, I was in like -100 prestige territory with an almost zero prestige growth per month but I could choose the decision to go on a hunt. Boom 150 prestige for the hunt and 150 more for a hunt random event which doesn't always fire.

The argument can be made, I guess, that the game is meant to be played on the King/Emperor level, and to be fair that's where I mostly play it, where events are not that out of balance.

garbon

In my game as Oyo, I've noticed that I often end up negative on prestige given as tribe you get a malus for unraised men at arms but then significant malus for raised levies. I have been using combination of feasts and hunts to fund prestige for warfare. Oddly money is never an issue and generally have more than I need.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Saw this screenshot:

Court tutor asks to resign his position, you lose prestige, he is angry perpetually at -30 for 10 years but then he's also pleased (with a decaying modifier) for +30.

So he actually gets angrier as time passes. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I've played about 100 years in my new run and have gone through about 4 rulers. Of those 4, I have had two that have gotten events about incest: one my gay character who wanted to make a move on his brother but I prevented it and one where my character hit on her grandson who caught her masturbating with a shoe. Of course, he was the 4th character that caught her getting it on with inanimate objects.

Feels like incest is happening a little too frequently. And while my last ruler was lustful (so I guess that's why the endless masturbstion), not sure the role playing charm in reading about her repeatedly being caught.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2022, 05:17:00 AM
I've played about 100 years in my new run and have gone through about 4 rulers. Of those 4, I have had two that have gotten events about incest: one my gay character who wanted to make a move on his brother but I prevented it and one where my character hit on her grandson who caught her masturbating with a shoe. Of course, he was the 4th character that caught her getting it on with inanimate objects.

Feels like incest is happening a little too frequently. And while my last ruler was lustful (so I guess that's why the endless masturbstion), not sure the role playing charm in reading about her repeatedly being caught.

Masturbating is a thing?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

So in my first Royal Court action I had to mediate between my rival, a vassal, and..um...myself. I actually sat on my throne and recognized myself in front of me. I ruled against myself and got a -20 opinion against myself.

Civis Romanus Sum