News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Guy I know who was a history post grad, also had a gamer blog. He did good work there, networked it and was eventually hired by a certain Swedish game company that does niche historical computer games. He writes, edits and does PR for them. 
humans were created in their own image

The Brain

Quote from: saskganesh on October 28, 2019, 06:03:12 PM
Guy I know who was a history post grad, also had a gamer blog. He did good work there, networked it and was eventually hired by a certain Swedish game company that does niche historical computer games. He writes, edits and does PR for them.

DICE? :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

This first diary doesn't point to a fabulous direction. More of the nonsense around dynastic abilities (in vein of chromey divine blood)...now powerful heads of house and The Dynast?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck3-dev-diary-1-dynasties-houses.1270519/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I don't mind them adding something like EU4 ideas to the game ... however, in the CK3 context it would make a lot of sense if you could lose those as well if your dynasty is going through a decline (could be a trade off - get rid of a few traits to help recover in a different area).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yeah, I mean, overall it is promising and I have no doubt by release day the hype machine will catch me completely, but what it does seem to be is the now true-and-tried (and rather tired) model of theirs of having you rake up a whole bunch of different points so you can click on buttons to unlock things to rake up unlock points quicker. Except the context here will be more pretend-RPG instead of pretend-historical-strategy.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2019, 07:33:43 AM
Yeah, I mean, overall it is promising and I have no doubt by release day the hype machine will catch me completely, but what it does seem to be is the now true-and-tried (and rather tired) model of theirs of having you rake up a whole bunch of different points so you can click on buttons to unlock things to rake up unlock points quicker. Except the context here will be more pretend-RPG instead of pretend-historical-strategy.

Agree with all of that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2019, 05:20:26 AM
This first diary doesn't point to a fabulous direction. More of the nonsense around dynastic abilities (in vein of chromey divine blood)...now powerful heads of house and The Dynast?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck3-dev-diary-1-dynasties-houses.1270519/

Cadet branches and dynamics for them have been a long term of the fan base.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Cadet houses sure, that weird a historical gloss to them? :yeahright:

garbon

How are you all feeling about the dev diaries so far?

Josquius

Any sign of moving away from the paint the map pink that is the paradox norm?

A big issue with CK was the break with realism in a Swedish duke inheriting Norfolk...and suddenly Norfolk is part of Sweden. It should be possible to have titles within different kingdoms.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

It wasn't part of Sweden, it still would follow Anglo-Saxon law. But yeah there was no way to have the King of England also be a vassal of the King of France as Duke of Aquitaine.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Thanks for the casual racism.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on December 04, 2019, 03:11:21 PM
Thanks for the casual racism.

It's progressive for the dark ages
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

I think that there are some promising things so far, but overall I'm getting a bad vibe about CKIII.  There are a lot of things that don't seem to make sense.  For example, baronies will now be directly on the map, but will always be part of the same county.  How does that make sense?  It would have made more sense for them to always be part of the same county in CKII, where they aren't on the map.

The Minsky Moment

QuoteHowever, we do have a concept of leasing baronies to other rulers, such as Holy Orders. This effectively gives them control of the holding along with the income it generates, without it "leaving" your real

That seems OK to me, assuming it includes all relevant feudal rights, including the right to call the levies. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson