And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2022, 03:05:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2022, 02:31:46 PM
Kind of bizarre they actually implemented such a tiny and obscure sect, which looks like was dead by the 5th century and its medieval revivals didn't occur until the very end of the CK period. I guess they just wanted to show naked people.
Well to be fair, I believe the Jain sect that enjoyed being naked actually ruled large kingdoms in India during the game period, so that's probably who they implemented it for, aside from for perverted players. :sleep:

Well one thing I learned from CK2 is that Jainism was a much bigger deal back in this era than it is today.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

So yeah, if you do the 867 start date in CK3, I believe the largest kingdom in India is the Rashtrakuta Empire, its emperor is Amoghavarsha, and I think he and his wife are naked as well as most of the court, due to being Digambara Jains (this is partly from memory and partly from Wikipedia, and nonely from the game as I am on my work laptop ATM).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Are you often naked on Wikipedia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2022, 03:47:56 PM
So yeah, if you do the 867 start date in CK3, I believe the largest kingdom in India is the Rashtrakuta Empire, its emperor is Amoghavarsha, and I think he and his wife are naked as well as most of the court, due to being Digambara Jains (this is partly from memory and partly from Wikipedia, and nonely from the game as I am on my work laptop ATM).

So going for the old Nat Geo naked natives angle?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Seems like one of the main branches of Jainism, outisde India, is in Toronto. Might join.  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

That's silly - the emperor and his court weren't monks; they would have worn clothes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2022, 09:49:36 AM

That's silly - the emperor and his court weren't monks; they would have worn clothes.

Not sure if it was just limited to monks, though. Certain sects believed clothes were a possession that should be shunned.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on January 11, 2022, 11:17:47 AM

Not sure if it was just limited to monks, though. Certain sects believed clothes were a possession that should be shunned.

The few posts about in on the forum and the main mod focused on India all suggest it should be limited. Otherwise, you and paradox are supporting the idea that without any support that powerful emperors in India were running about naked.

Valmy

I don't think even the Adamists were naked outside of religious ceremonies right? Especially as in Europe they were in pretty cold places, though again it is either before or right at the end of the CK era.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

It was a convenient and in case of the Janists also racist excuse to not let their naked 3d models go to waste.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2022, 11:28:57 AM

The few posts about in on the forum and the main mod focused on India all suggest it should be limited. Otherwise, you and paradox are supporting the idea that without any support that powerful emperors in India were running about naked.

I mean there is little evidence for lots of the stuff they are trying to model. Sort of like Jewish Khazars and Afghan Zunism. I mean sure those aren't based on nothing but mostly nothing. They just thought it was cooler and more fun to have it that way. Seems like some similar thinking going on here. Sure there is some bits of evidence there were nudists out there in this era, not a lot but some, so let's run with it.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2022, 11:59:40 AM

I mean there is little evidence for lots of the stuff they are trying to model. Sort of like Jewish Khazars and Afghan Zunism. I mean sure those aren't based on nothing but mostly nothing. They just thought it was cooler and more fun to have it that way. Seems like some similar thinking going on here. Sure there is some bits of evidence there were nudists out there in this era, not a lot but some, so let's run with it.

I'd also suggest some of those should be deleted but don't they think are as racist as portraying Indian leaders as naked primitives.

Caliga

Seems like some similar thinking going on here. Sure there is some bits of evidence there were nudists out there in this era, not a lot but some, so let's run with it.
Yeah, exactly.  They also probably figured some perverted nerds would buy the game to see it who might not have otherwise.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Khazars are real.  In fact, I have a Khazar dictionary on my Kindle!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017