News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yeah, that was weird. I get that they may want to err on the side of caution and not accidentally be culturally insensitive. But in this day and age it shouldn't be too hard to find knowledgeable persons kn the subject matter.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2024, 04:08:41 PMYeah, that was weird. I get that they may want to err on the side of caution and not accidentally be culturally insensitive. But in this day and age it shouldn't be too hard to find knowledgeable persons kn the subject matter.

I'm an American and back in CK open beta days I was giving them ideas on how to represent post Ilkhanate period. Not credible that in this area of so much accessible information that they couldn't source ideas.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Another example. i am playing a game in which the Black Death has struck pretty early 898 AD.
So my son and heir just died, plague is all over the known world, and now some foreign duke, wants to play chess. Dude, I'm in isolation.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

Playing chess with death is a classic. :P

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2024, 11:20:27 AMAnother example. i am playing a game in which the Black Death has struck pretty early 898 AD.
So my son and heir just died, plague is all over the known world, and now some foreign duke, wants to play chess. Dude, I'm in isolation.

So play by mail :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Quote from: Solmyr on March 09, 2024, 05:45:01 AMPlaying chess with death is a classic. :P

Yeah, but it's not the CKII one. this is where you play with a friend,and you get options, you just pick randomly and always seem to win.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

The way I try to approach these events is "ah I get a new rival" "ah I get a friend" "ah a relationship hurting event" instead of trying to read the text every time and get fed up.

Syt

Did a few things I normally don't do:
1. start in 1066
2. start in Iberia (as count of Braganca)

You are in your 30s, unmarried, but (as I realized later) have tons of claims - i.e. on Brittany, or some Byzantine territories. Unsure if modded or standard (using CFP, EPE, RICE). Your heir is your sister who's (non-matrilineally) to another count. So job 1: marry + produce heir. I marry a daughter of the King of Navarra. She is pregnant, alas my son is stillborn, and my wife is now barren.

Bummer.

I can't divorce her, and I also don't want to sire bastards, so I do the honorable thing and have her murdered. (Also something I rarely do.)

A new wife was mail ordered (no alliance, as all candidates for that are either too old or still kids). She travels to my place through war torn lands from France where she gets acosted by some asshole ... and she kills him at 16 years old. :ph34r:

Anyways, she eventually becomes pregnant and delivers a daughter (well, better than nothing :P ).

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to expand. I was going to conquer the county south of me, but my liege (Duke) lost Porto in a war, and took that county back for himself. Meh. I do manage to snatch Monterrei, though. But expanding beyond is tricky.

However, my liege dies and I become the regent. I started entrenched and could have attempted a coup, but only one other vassal would have supported me in exchange for tons of cash, so I shelf it (and quickly lose regency power so can't try later). I instead embezzle money and change my vassal contract so my titles can't be revoked. I also strengthen crown authority to score some brownie points while looking at ways to expand my territory (all targets are either not directly adjacent to mine, or are defended by armies much larger than mine).

In the meantime I was trying to seduce/romance my second wife to produce an heir - and got twice the event where I can "rescue" her from an annoying conversation ... with the 10 year old Duke for whom I am regent. So I got tons of stress and migraines from this.

About 15 years in, and now typhus is spreading through Iberia. Fingers crossed my heiress will survive this. :ph34r:

Main mods I'm using are CFP, EPE, RICE, Travelers (which makes all characters travel for most actions they take in other areas, like joining courts), Catholic Trinity, that big Holy Roman Empire mod (which recently added a feature that Catholic kings and emperors need to be crowned by a priest, bishop or pope or otherwise lose vassal opinion), and Love Marriage Family which makes courtiers and family members have more agencies in their relationships (and also makes pregnancies more perilous).
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

QuoteIn the meantime I was trying to seduce/romance my second wife to produce an heir - and got twice the event where I can "rescue" her from an annoying conversation ... with the 10 year old Duke for whom I am regent. So I got tons of stress and migraines from this.

What is the logic there?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Basically you get to advance the scheme by rescuing her from a really obnoxious conversation. You can choose to jump in and take over, or you can ignore it, or you can ignore the obnoxious person IIRC. I decided to rescue her. Presumably that stresses me out, and I guess the constant headaches is from the person coming back to me again and again after I paid attention to them? At least that's my head(ache) canon.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

LOL..here's another funny one. I know it sounds like I dont like the game, which is not true; but when it comes to events, things could be thought out a bit better.

So I am having a funeral for my wife who died of the measles. At the funeral my bishop comes to me to share a memory of my wife.  "I am just talking about the time the Queen died of measles."

What?? It's like going to your friend's wife's funeral and saying "I remember when she died of cancer."

Also, this game can be somewhat ironic.

I became my current character, a Duke of Aquitane, when he was in his 40s and married to a woman in her late 40s. We had five children. All girls. Wanting a boy, and knowing my wife was no longer fertile, I decided to do what all guys do, and killed her.

I ended up having three beautiful boys.

Except the measles, which killed my wife, ended up taking my three boys. And my current heir is my eldest daughter, whom I went to all that trouble of preventing her from inheriting, all those years ago.

Civis Romanus Sum

Syt

QuoteSo I am having a funeral for my wife who died of the measles. At the funeral my bishop comes to me to share a memory of my wife.  "I am just talking about the time the Queen died of measles."

Maybe he's sharing how brave she was in her final days, or that her suffering was quite bad and that it's a mercy she died. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Funnily enough I have found it helps me with the game if I largely stay on speed 4. That way usually more than 4 seconds pass before the next event popup.

To go all in on this, I started a new game as this east Persian 867 guy, using mods like extended events (hah!) Inherichance and that obfuscation mod. The latter is quite amazing actually, almost like a different game, having to marry people literally blindly to make the right alliance.

So, with the obfuscation and whatnot I thought I'd have a challenging time with the unruly vassals and such. Which, at the start, was true. Then I did a Grand Tour visiting all them negative opinion vassals. And I have got such huge boons from it, that even the most powerful vassal who did not even let me in at the door lost all appetite to ever create a faction against me. With that one Grand Tour I have solved all serious internal problems for my ruler's lifetime.

Meh.

Syt

Yeah, grand tours are way OP for prestige.
—Stephen Jay Gould