News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The team teasing content for next year:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-141-a-year-in-review.1616623/

QuoteWhat's happening in 2024?�
And now for the perhaps extra interesting bit of the Dev Diary - what have we got cooking for 2024? Also quite a bit, it turns out!

A New Experiment�
At the beginning of next year, we've got another small experiment lined up. While I cannot go into detail about what it is, I can say that it has something to do with the game directly and that involves something we've never done before. We are very excited about it, and we hope you will be too - the idea for it actually came directly from the community itself, during a PDXCon where the Crusader Kings III team got to interact with some of you!

You will be able to get your hands on this experiment very early next year, before the release of the new chapter! Speaking of:

Chapter III�
We will indeed be having another Chapter next year! Similar to this year the chapter will include four items, including one Major Expansion. One difference from Chapter II is that we have swapped out the Flavor Pack in favor of a larger type of expansion that we call a Core Expansion - I will clear up what this means in just a bit! Other than that, there will be an instant unlock to start Chapter III off, and an event pack to close the package.

So what is the difference between a Major Expansion and a Core Expansion? The new Core Expansion format refers to the core gameplay loop: it focuses on adding, changing, or updating mechanics that are applicable for most rulers and/or high-impact systems that affect large parts of the game world, unlike Flavor Packs which are strictly regional in nature. Major Expansions are 'wider', and will either apply sweeping updates to the world, give you new ways of playing the game (such as new playstyles), or both!

This means that Core Expansions are scoped in between Flavor Packs and Major Expansions. They are bigger and more impactful than Flavor Packs, but smaller with fewer sweeping changes than Major Expansions. Seeing how we want to shift towards more high-impact content that appeals to a majority of the community, we decided to up our pace and make a Core Expansion instead of a Flavor pack next year.

That said, I want to emphasize how excited we are for next year, and though I really want to tell you what we're working on I must limit myself to obscure hints and extremely non-telling images for now...

Instant Unlock�
The instant unlock will be similar to Elegance of the Empire, the one we had for Chapter II. This time we're also aiming to make clothes that embody the very essence of royalty. Inspired by the couture of the French, they will be gilded and lavish - and as with all assets we make - they are real, well-researched, and historical!

Core Expansion�
The Core Expansion will, among other features, introduce something that has been frequently requested by you in the community. Without saying too much, it will definitely make the game more challenging - and we've spent a lot of time making sure that it's as dynamic and immersive as possible, while also presenting you with new ways to strategize. We're also going to introduce a feature dripping with medieval flavor, a system that can be used by clever players to really make their mark on the world. All in all, this expansion will lean more towards the systemic side of the game.

Major Expansion�
As with the Core Expansion, the Major Expansion will focus on several things that have been requested by you in the community for ages - some of what we're choosing to do has been asked for since the early days of Crusader Kings as a game series. One of the feature sets comes up very frequently when we see you discuss what you'd like to see in expansions - and another is brought up now-and-again as a powerful player fantasy. No matter what, we promise that this expansion will provide several new and fresh perspectives, and should please you regardless of which style of expansion you prefer, systemic or roleplay-focused. We can barely wait until you get your hands on this one, and personally, I can say that it's one of the expansions I've been wanting to make since my early days working on CK2 - its time will soon come!

Event Pack�
As mentioned above, this time there will be no poll about the theme. Instead, we've been seeing an overwhelming amount of discussions about a certain well-liked feature for months. We've chosen to expand that feature with more things to do and experience, and this time we'll be focusing on highly visible content!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Playable pets confirmed! :w00t:

Also, anyone using the term "gameplay loop" outside internal conversation of the dev team just kills me a bit inside. It's annoying when it comes from a dev but its downright obnoxious when it comes from a player. Why do we have to acknowledge that we are engaged in an elaborate version of a hamster wheel? Is life not dull enough as is?

Zanza

That's just a neutral technical term that adequately describes the core structure of the game program.  :huh:

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on December 14, 2023, 01:43:25 PMThat's just a neutral technical term that adequately describes the core structure of the game program.  :huh:

It sounds sterile. I mean, I am bothered by reading it from players. As I said, obnoxious. If you view your experience as going through "the loop", that's sad.

Zanza

I get your point and games should not feel like a loop to the player.

And I think they mostly don't as there is progress in the game between a start and an end. In CK3 expressed by time, which has a clear direction and does not loop.

But the basic flow control statement in the programming of probably all games is just called a loop. Be it chess where the action loops between black and white. Or a game like Paradox where the core flow control loops every 'tick' of game time (days in CK3) and calculates thousands of variables of the game world. But that loop also adds one day to the game time, so the game does not loop, but progresses.

jimmy olsen

I want Imperial government for the Byzantines.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

CK3 is now fully playable for blind people using screen readers and a specialized mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2848213069
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

A little mod but one I think adds quite a bit: Pillage.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3027931283

It applies modifiers to provinces when armies march through them to add more cost to wars.

• Moving raised armies through your lands causes minor hits to Control and Development Progress, as well as applying a small debuff modifier to the impacted provinces (unless you have the Well-Supplied modifier). Note: this only applies to your armies moving through your own domains, to avoid weird cheese strats where you debuff your vassals by marching around in circles. Some kind of Military Access diplomacy system or way to tell AI armies to get out of your lands would be needed I think.
  • Moving raised armies through enemy lands is twice as destructive, causing larger hits to Control and Development Progress, and applying a harsher debuff that lasts longer. Reaver commanders increase the hit to Control and Development Progress.
  • Sieging down a barony now randomly downgrades or destroys one of its Buildings, and applies the Recently Looted modifier. Doesn't apply when you retake an occupied barony. Note: Due to how vanilla implements the code, having a building downgraded will prompt a positive "building constructed" notification.

Obviously, this can be prone to abuse in the hands of a player (marching small detachments all over enemy land to trigger the modifiers), so it requires some self discipline there.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on January 25, 2024, 01:57:16 AMA little mod but one I think adds quite a bit: Pillage.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3027931283

It applies modifiers to provinces when armies march through them to add more cost to wars.

• Moving raised armies through your lands causes minor hits to Control and Development Progress, as well as applying a small debuff modifier to the impacted provinces (unless you have the Well-Supplied modifier). Note: this only applies to your armies moving through your own domains, to avoid weird cheese strats where you debuff your vassals by marching around in circles. Some kind of Military Access diplomacy system or way to tell AI armies to get out of your lands would be needed I think.
  • Moving raised armies through enemy lands is twice as destructive, causing larger hits to Control and Development Progress, and applying a harsher debuff that lasts longer. Reaver commanders increase the hit to Control and Development Progress.
  • Sieging down a barony now randomly downgrades or destroys one of its Buildings, and applies the Recently Looted modifier. Doesn't apply when you retake an occupied barony. Note: Due to how vanilla implements the code, having a building downgraded will prompt a positive "building constructed" notification.

Obviously, this can be prone to abuse in the hands of a player (marching small detachments all over enemy land to trigger the modifiers), so it requires some self discipline there.

Sending many small warbands across the land to pillage and cause devastation is pretty historically accurate - look at the 100 years war, for example. But maybe it's unbalanced if the player does it and the AI never does.

Syt

Yeah, it's more about not exploiting this against the AI.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Chapter 3 announced:

Coming March 4th, Legends of the Dead

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2671060/Crusader_Kings_III_Legends_of_the_Dead/

QuoteWhat good are grand accomplishments and heroic deeds if no one sings of them after you have gone? A royal legacy is only useful, after all, if it can provide cover and legitimacy for those who come after you. Live on in the memory of your subjects and rivals in Legends of the Dead, a Core Expansion for Crusader Kings III.

Crusader Kings III: Legends of the Dead adds new heroic gameplay, as you stoke the flames of your fame into a towering bonfire.

Legends: Commission an epic retelling of your family history or build your own heroic reputation through great deeds. Promote this legend, far and wide, and see how the stories of the past reverberate through the centuries, and add more glory to legendary dynasties.

Legendary Playstyle: Leverage your living legend status through new Decisions and actions, keeping the stories of your family in the minds of a continent, strengthening the legitimacy of your rule and allowing further choices.

Legendary Buildings: Your legendary reputation gives you access to new elite buildings, cementing your legacy for future generations.

Legendary Feasts: Poets and bards can ornament your celebrations with songs and odes to your greatness, inspiring your guests to spread the tale of your legendary generosity.

Court Chroniclers: Hire an official historian to spread the story of your dynasty's great accomplishments, or use your poets and musicians to turn your actions into art.

Two New Legacies: A new Heroic dynastic Legacy for the heirs of legendary characters, even using the great deeds of ancestors to justify claims from the distant past, as well as a Legitimacy Legacy that promotes your dynasty as the true rulers of the realm.

Illness and Mourning: New diseases like the Bloody Flux, Measles and Holy Fire may ravage your court, but you can honor your deceased loved ones with dignified Funeral rites, according to your faith.

The Black Death: The greatest scourge of the Middle Ages strikes down noble and commoner alike, radically transforming the political and social environment. Prepare your realm and prepare your soul, because a rampaging plague may be the strongest enemy facing your rule.

New Art: Both life and death are given new energy with the celebrated art style that Crusader Kings III fans have come to appreciate. A new exclusive Map Table, new varieties of clothing, unit models and holding designs for extra flavor.

Coming Q3: Roads to Power

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2671070/Crusader_Kings_III_Roads_to_Power/

QuoteThe glory and might of the Byzantine Empire are yours to command in this expansion to Crusader Kings III. The unique politics and cultures of the heir to the Roman Empire are on display through new governing systems, new ways for characters to progress up the medieval ladder, and new activities for your characters. You can also explore a new exciting lifestyle as a landless Adventurer, seeking fame and glory across a living map of the medieval world.
Roads to Power features include:

Administrative Government: Experience medieval rule outside of the feudal system with new styles of empire management. A web of Governors jockeys for position in the empire with intrigue and power, sometimes rewarding merit and sometimes rewarding perfidy. Only a truly skilled Emperor can keep these squabbling forces in line.

The Family Estate: Run and manage a powerful Family Estate, the seat of your Houses' power. Construct new buildings and improvements to further your power and influence within the Empire.

A Life of Adventure: Freely roam the map, untied to any realm or holding, going where the winds of fortune blow you. Fulfil contracts as a landless adventurer, even through the generations, building up a reputation of your own. Earn gold, prestige and fame traveling the globe until you decide to settle down and claim a land you have earned through merit.

Influence System: Build up a character's influence within an administrative empire to climb even higher in the opinion of the Emperor, gathering more power to yourself. Start as a landless noble on an estate, and compete for valuable provinces to govern.

New Imperial Management: Run a sprawling imperial bureaucracy, appointing and directing the governors of your provinces.

Choose Successor or Caesar: The Byzantine Emperor can choose their heir from a list of Influential candidates or important family members, and even opt to co-rule if the burden of empire is too much.

New Byzantine Flavor Content: New events, monuments and activities built around the Byzantine theme, including chariot racing.

Cosmetic additions: A Byzantine-themed UI skin and new court fashions for your characters, as well as new 2D event art for activities like chariot racing, new on map monuments of the Byzantine and Roman worlds, new on map holding designs and a Byzantine throne room for Royal Court sessions, among other aesthetic improvements...

Coming Q4: Wandering Nobles

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2671080/Crusader_Kings_III_Wandering_Nobles/

QuoteThis event pack for Crusader Kings III adds a whole new lifestyle focused on travel, a plethora of new events, and three activities related to the travel system.

Choose to set out for exotic cities and distant lands, or travel through your realm to ensure the prosperity and loyalty of your lands and vassals. Experience new perils and adventures as members of your court set forth in search of prestige, wealth, or renown in a dynamic medieval world.

1 New Lifestyle - Wanderer: Become a true Wanderer, by choosing to engage with one of the three new lifestyle trees — Surveyor, Wayfarer, or Voyager.

3 Mini-Activities: Each lifestyle tree comes with its own related mini-activity. Choose to inspect your lands as a Surveyor, journey to see monuments in far-off lands as a Voyager, or to travel through the wilderness searching for experiences that might make for a good tale as a Wayfarer.

New Travel Events: The event pack presents a plethora of new events and opportunities. Whether you're traversing unknown lands, participating in new activities, or embracing the Wanderer lifestyle, a host of unique experiences awaits.

Byzantium mechanics AND unlanded gameplay :o (The latter might be really interesting for stuff like the Elder Scrolls total conversion Elder Kings.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Dammit Syt, I was just coming to post that! :P

Solmyr

Landless adventurer gameplay could be interesting for some other conversions as well - Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, and Warcraft come to mind.

Syt

Yes; though I feel it may become old quick in Vanilla. That said, it could be interesting if that means that you could continue playing after losing your last holding instead of GAME OVER. Lose your land to some jerk, go abroad, gather resources and try to reclaim your lands and titles from literally nothing.
—Stephen Jay Gould