Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

One of the most popular new mods right now:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2910378200

QuoteThe Names of Hounds

This mod adds 1,065 names for dogs and absolutely nothing else. The names originate in The Names of All Manner of Hounds, a fifteenth-century manuscript described by David Scott-Macnab in Viator. The thumbnail for this mod originates in Livre de la Chasse, a fifteenth-century manuscript made available by the Getty Museum.

Scott-Macnab, D. (2013). The Names of All Manner of Hounds: A Unique Inventory in a Fifteenth-Century Manuscript. Viator, 44(3), 339-368.

https://www.getty.edu/art/collection/object/103RWJ

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Syt

Well, Paradox updated their launchers and now everyone's mod playsets are empty for every game. Will be fun trying to recreate the lists I had for More Bookmarks, Dynamic Trade Routes and Elder Kings 2. Only 122 mods to sort through and get into the right order again.  :rolleyes:

If you play HoI, EU, Stellaris, CK, Vic with mods and haven't updated your launcher yet it might be a good idea to backup your modlists (there should be a list somewhere in the launcher files or so for the game) before launching/updating.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

The mods are still there, you just have to re-enable them in the launcher. I launched my CK3 and the mods still seem to be in the same order I had them (granted, I don't have a huge modlist).

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on January 12, 2023, 06:08:16 AMThe mods are still there, you just have to re-enable them in the launcher. I launched my CK3 and the mods still seem to be in the same order I had them (granted, I don't have a huge modlist).

Maybe they fixed it. I still had my modlists, and mods, but the modlists themselves were empty.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Agreed. I'm definitely looking forward to my next CKIII game - especially as I think I'll dive into mods finally (mainly flavour pack and the thing that hides info, making it harder to min-max).

... but I keep tinkering with Skyrim stuff, so it'll have to wait. Still, it's nice to have something to look forward to.

(and hello :hug: )

Josquius

Interesting in theory though I fear it may not be compatible with the current setup of the game.
Things are just too grand scale once you get beyond a few counties such that managing your character traveling around would be more a chore than anything.
It probably needs something much smarter with game speed - implementation of campaigning seasons and such.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

This might be a mechanic to make it more difficult to just paint the map.   

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 15, 2023, 04:04:41 PMThis might be a mechanic to make it more difficult to just paint the map.   

That might (hopefully) become a side-effect but I am pretty sure its just part of the push toward the medieval RPG sandbox approach.

garbon

I think I might be over CK. This all just sounds to me something akin to Royal Court - platform for more not well triggered events.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Dunno, with what's been shown this should add more complexities to managing realms, as you get more ways to influence/interact with vassals or prospective vassals, or what buildings you construct as some of them will have influence on options/interactions during travels. It will of course hinge on how repetitive (or not) events become (a downside of Royal Court), and it will not apply to everything (e.g. most schemes will remain outside the travel system), but many existing activities will be tied into this - pilgrimages, hunts, feasts etc. and eliminate the "magic teleport" that usually occurred during those.

As for this adding to the RP layer - I'm ok with that; medieval ruling of domains was a very personal (and interpersonal) business, so having a lot more emphasis on that compared to EU4 makes a lot of sense to me - and so far they seem to stay away from the memes of CK2's run (Glitterhoof, the supernatural stuff, the OP secret societies ... ). That said, it would be nice if they added more e.g. religion mechanics, or expanded the struggle system to other areas, or added some much needed flavor/specialization to regions like Africa or India.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Adding more region specific content like the Viking and Iberia DLC seems more promising than this. Let's see, might still eventually buy it when I get a good discount.

Tamas

Yeah I am cautiously optimistic but the last couple of times I tried to return to CK3 I bounced off hard (last time I spent significant time with it was with the Iberia DLC).

Especially since I wanted to spend time with the Dark Ages mod. But I couldn't focus on the setting or the politics, because I was barraged with the usual personal events devoid of appropriate context and with varying level of teenage-level silliness.

I maintain that the core mechanics of CK3 are better than CK2. But they are not making good use of them, everything in the game happens because of random events which are needlessly specific and verbose, combined with being silly and, again, devoid of period feel.

garbon

CK3 had promise but it looks they are squandering it for no apparent reason.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.