News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2019, 05:10:31 AM
Any sign of moving away from the paint the map pink that is the paradox norm?

A big issue with CK was the break with realism in a Swedish duke inheriting Norfolk...and suddenly Norfolk is part of Sweden. It should be possible to have titles within different kingdoms.

It's hard to gamify feudalism accurately. Games have rules and real life didn't. William the conqueror gave England to his brother and Normandy to his son for example.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 10, 2019, 07:32:49 PM
It's hard to gamify feudalism accurately. Games had rules and real life didn't. William the conqueror gave England to his brother and Normandy to his son for example.

William the Conqueror did not have any brothers. William Rufus was his son, he was just a younger son than Robert Curthose who became Duke of Normandy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2019, 07:38:31 PM
William the Conqueror did not have any brothers. William Rufus was his son, he was just a younger son than Robert Curthose who became Duke of Normandy.

William indeed has brothers (half brothers): Odo of Bayeux and Robert of Mortain. But neither of them inherited England or Normandy.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 10, 2019, 10:35:27 PM

William indeed has brothers (half brothers): Odo of Bayeux and Robert of Mortain. But neither of them inherited England or Normandy.

Right. I was thinking there were no other sons of his father who would stand to inherit Normandy, not other sons of his mother. Though yeah those guys were still his brothers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

It's hard to gamify feudalism accurately. Games had rules and real life didn't. William the conqueror gave England to his brother and Normandy to his son for example.

:Embarrass: A shameful mistake.

Well that's even weirder.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2019, 05:10:31 AM
Any sign of moving away from the paint the map pink that is the paradox norm?

A big issue with CK was the break with realism in a Swedish duke inheriting Norfolk...and suddenly Norfolk is part of Sweden. It should be possible to have titles within different kingdoms.

It's hard to gamify feudalism accurately. Games have rules and real life didn't. William the conqueror gave England to his brother and Normandy to his son for example.

Give whatever title to whoever you want but suffer actual consequences of massive penalties to chivalry, nobility led revolt risks, etc....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I can't shake the feeling that every diary seems to describe less of a 'history game' and more of an RPG with a political map.

*quotes to highlight the fair comment that CK2 wasn't really a game about history either -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2020, 09:56:54 AM
I can't shake the feeling that every diary seems to describe less of a 'history game' and more of an RPG with a political map.

*quotes to highlight the fair comment that CK2 wasn't really a game about history either -_-

Yeah the character leveling thing I am really uncertain about. I'd prefer having to live with random shit like in CK2.

Of course, in CK2 once you have learned the system you can game around almost every negative effect of that randomisation, but still .

garbon

And I guess then you are doing character leveling for every single ruler.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2020, 09:56:54 AM

Yeah but CK2 went far enough I think from accurately modeling history, no need to go further. I mean we already have kingdoms being made stronger because the king got a dog :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on January 28, 2020, 08:04:26 PM
Yeah but CK2 went far enough I think from accurately modeling history, no need to go further. I mean we already have kingdoms being made stronger because the king got a dog :P

Ridiculous.  A kingdom for a horse, sure, but a dog?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Which character classes will be available at launch?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Josquius

My views remain unchanged. That the only way forward for paradox games is to lessen the power of the map. With the map lying as the only interface the games inevitably become paint the world pink affairs even if that completely isn't what CK is meant to be about
██████
██████
██████