News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Might finally get this given the humble bundle.

Though I know that's bound to be an error given how much time gets burned on paradox games...
██████
██████
██████

Syt

My current game is driving me slightly mad. :D Started as Count of Thouars in Western France. Worked my way up, taking a county or two, before getting set up to gain a claim on my liege's title, the Duchy of Poitiers. Managed to take it in a war, all good. Except it left the guy still as my vassal, hating me, while I was unable to just take his title back (by war if necessary), because he managed to find strong allies. Meanwhile, I had three sons - so I had to disinherit my eldest, because after some illnesses he was terrible. Also had to denounce & imprison him to force him to take the vows. The youngest brother was much more easily swayed.

My nemesis, the Duke of Auvergne got excommunicated, so I pounced on the chance to *yoink* his title, too.

By this time the inheritance situation of my vassals sucked. My two biggest vassals were the biggest headache. One (Ramnulf of Poitiers) was #1 in line for Duchy of Gascogne who was in turn in line for two of the counties that were part of the de jure Duchy of Poitiers.

While the count of the Auvergne Duchy counties was #1 in line for the Duchy of Aquitaine and vice versa.

So I thought the reasonable move was to give my remote Auvergne vassal to the Pope in exchange for a claim on Duchy of Aquitaine and enough cash to hire mercenaries to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Except it didn't. My enemies managed to catch my armies before my allies arrived, so that was bad. Not to despair! I managed to secure an alliance with the Petty King of Mercia and his 3k troops ... except he needed to finish his other war first. Not despair, again! I petitioned my King to intercede in the war on my behalf. Which he did! :w00t:

And then my ruler died from a seizure at age 73, and the enemy war score was too high before the balance was tipped by my new allies. I lost the claim to Gascogne (merde!), and my heir was dead broke and with negative prestige (dude, what did you do?). At least he held on to the five family counties and the Duchy of Poitiers.

A few years into the reign, though, the King transfers the Ramnulf, Count of Poitiers back to him as vassal. My first reaction? Aw shit, here we go again. :bleeding:

Only now he's securely my vassal .... wait, what happened? So I look at the Duchy of Gascogne's title history. Kisilo was the Duchess, installed by faction demand, when the mess began. However, Raymond of West Francia started a war against her, according to their memories. I can't say what title he held at the time (went through his claims, but he never held any of them). He had inherited the Kingdom of Aquitaine, but the title was destroyed when he lost against a vassal faction.

At any rate, he forced Kisilo to abdicate, and Ramnulf did inherit her title. In comes the new King of Aquitaine, and revokes the title for the Duchy, reclaiming it for himself. And because Ramnulf still had counties that were de jure part of my Duchy ... he handed them back to me.

In short, a lot of effort and expense from my characters, thinking it's all effed, only to have the King come in as deus ex machina, giving me (mostly) the result I wanted. :lol:

At any rate, my father's rivalries (of which he had many) are all forgotten, and my new ruler, while dead ass broke for now, is in the green with his vassals, his liege, his family, and most of his neighbors, while having enough of a military and allies to scare off any evildoers. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I saw they posted today that there won't be any additional paid content for CK3 this year but we can expect a smaller free update.

I've so many questions about their strategy for supporting this title.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2022, 03:36:42 PMI saw they posted today that there won't be any additional paid content for CK3 this year but we can expect a smaller free update.

My guess: they have a great strategy, but are fucking up the execution of it.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2022, 03:36:42 PMI saw they posted today that there won't be any additional paid content for CK3 this year but we can expect a smaller free update.

Wasn't their new approach to have one big expansion and one content pack per year?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

That said, people complained about the rate/amount of DLC for CK2 and EU4. But I'm wondering if those games would have had the same longevity with a slower release cycle, even if the amount of content had remained the same.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

If only there was a term for a culture that combined the French with the Franconians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Oh no, you've invented super French :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2022, 12:07:25 AMThat said, people complained about the rate/amount of DLC for CK2 and EU4. But I'm wondering if those games would have had the same longevity with a slower release cycle, even if the amount of content had remained the same.

I think the audience knows that buying a Paradox game means signing up for years of development. But the slow pace for CK3 combined with limited dev comms on vision make it unclear if CK3 will ever live up to its potential.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2022, 11:35:35 AMIf only there was a term for a culture that combined the French with the Franconians.

I look forward to the emergence of the Anglo-English and Germanic-German cultures. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2022, 11:45:26 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2022, 12:07:25 AMThat said, people complained about the rate/amount of DLC for CK2 and EU4. But I'm wondering if those games would have had the same longevity with a slower release cycle, even if the amount of content had remained the same.

I think the audience knows that buying a Paradox game means signing up for years of development. But the slow pace for CK3 combined with limited dev comms on vision make it unclear if CK3 will ever live up to its potential.

Yes, it's a bit discouraging, though I don't get Imperator vibes off it yet. CK3 doesn't have near as much content as CK2 has, but I admit I like the silly things like royal court, or the cultures stuff they introduced. It's moving towards Sims Medieval, but at this point I don't hate it for it.

I think the UI is well ahead of CK2's (I just wish that if you open the interaction menu with characters, it would always show you all available options and not hid some behind "2 more").

And obviously all parts of the map feel very similar. Sure, they added things for the Norse and Iberia. But playing West Africa, Eastern Europe, India or France don't feel fundamentally different, except you get different religion/culture modifiers, and some terms are swapped for flavor - something that modders try to address a bit for now.

I like the Iberian struggle mechanic, and I wished they'd done it in a way that such struggles can also form somewhat organically in other areas (e.g. Holy Land, or the Christian/Pagan borders in Northern and Eastern Europe).

On the other hand, CK2 went hard into the meme/fantasy area, though at least you could deactivate the worst in the game rules.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Franconians aren
Quote from: HVC on September 21, 2022, 11:40:02 AMOh no, you've invented super French :ph34r:

Franconians aren't French though?

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on September 21, 2022, 12:04:01 PMFranconians aren
Quote from: HVC on September 21, 2022, 11:40:02 AMOh no, you've invented super French :ph34r:

Franconians aren't French though?

Proto French? They spoke a German dialect IIRC, but eventually turned French. Like reverse Normans  :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.