News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

This Jedi Survivor game... if I found the previous one meh, will I enjoy this one?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2024, 11:39:01 AMThis Jedi Survivor game... if I found the previous one meh, will I enjoy this one?

more of the same from what I heard

Syt

Also builds on the story/characters of the first game, I think, so you may want to catch up on that story first.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on April 27, 2024, 12:53:35 AMHonestly I'm not getting it. Why is it so special? Aren't there a million similar games out there? What does this one do different?
That said it did end up on my wishlist somehow.

I don't think there are actually many games like this.  There are a lot of Sims and this is a Mediaeval village simulator.  There are some really bad, mediaeval village simulators out there though. And this is a good one.

This also has a strategic level, both economic and military. 

It also has tactical level the way you deploy your troops actually has an impact on the battle.

It's also an economic sim, people who like supply chain/ trading type games are going to love this.

I think it's got a very good sign and the Developer is not trying to copy another game.  He's trying to make his own unique game and I think he has succeeding.

The game is nowhere near complete. More than half of the technologies still still need to be implemented.  So no final judgement can be made.  But it's off to a very good start and like I said, the design concepts are very good.

Jacob

That's cool. Thanks for the heads up - I might get it once it's done.

The Minsky Moment

It's on game pass so that's an incentive to give it a shot right there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2024, 12:22:04 PMThat's cool. Thanks for the heads up - I might get it once it's done.

Yeah, having played it for hours (and hours) over the weekend.  I definitely recommend waiting until it is ready.  A lot of the features are not yet implemented.  But what is there is what passes as a full game for most developers.  My only concern is this one person developer is going to burn out before he completes his masterpiece.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2024, 12:24:24 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2024, 12:22:04 PMThat's cool. Thanks for the heads up - I might get it once it's done.

Yeah, having played it for hours (and hours) over the weekend.  I definitely recommend waiting until it is ready.  A lot of the features are not yet implemented.  But what is there is what passes as a full game for most developers.  My only concern is this one person developer is going to burn out before he completes his masterpiece.

I hope he gets some help now that it basically proved itself to be something of a hit. I also hope Hooded Horse will provide what's necessary to help him make it to the end.

Josquius

So I've started playing Death Stranding.
I'm... Uncertain.
It seems very cool. Something about it grabs me.
The Kojima silliness - rebuild America! Forget Canada! Listen to Die Hardman! Is weird because it's together with something otherwise presenting as really serious with proper actors.
I also don't like the horror bits at all. Even gameplay wise creeping around BTs is a unfun pain.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2024, 12:24:24 PM

I think he gets some help from subcontractors.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on April 29, 2024, 06:00:26 PMSo I've started playing Death Stranding.
I'm... Uncertain.
It seems very cool. Something about it grabs me.
The Kojima silliness - rebuild America! Forget Canada! Listen to Die Hardman! Is weird because it's together with something otherwise presenting as really serious with proper actors.
I also don't like the horror bits at all. Even gameplay wise creeping around BTs is a unfun pain.

Yeah I played through it a couple of years ago.

I think my biggest letdown was that most of the advanced kits etc you unlock to assist with the harsher terrains are ultimately not needed. You can just power through pretty much anything with very basic kit and tactics. And you are right about the horror bits, once you figure it out it's just an exercise in frustration.

Still, I did finish the story which in my case means I liked it as I have no problem abandoning games I don't like.