Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

FunkMonk

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 17, 2019, 07:28:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 17, 2019, 06:31:52 AM

That 4star general next to Trump looks like he's praying for the sweet escape of death.

Those heads bowed in shame as they tacitly agree with Pelosi while Donald is clearly about to start yelling obscenities  :lol:

That the WH also released this expecting people to think it makes Pelosi look bad and Donald look presidential is beyond words.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

I may not be her biggest fan, but Pelosi is clearly the only person in the Congress worth a damn as a leader. I never cease to be amazed what she has managed to do, I thought she was done for sure back in 2016.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

It's shameful that Pelosi is one of the few in Congress that exhibits anything approaching leadership ability. I wish it were someone other than her, but I'm glad she's there.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2019, 10:32:40 AM
I may not be her biggest fan, but Pelosi is clearly the only person in the Congress worth a damn as a leader. I never cease to be amazed what she has managed to do, I thought she was done for sure back in 2016.

It is so surprising. To think I used to be one of her biggest detractors.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 17, 2019, 10:28:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 17, 2019, 07:28:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 17, 2019, 06:31:52 AM

That 4star general next to Trump looks like he's praying for the sweet escape of death.

Those heads bowed in shame as they tacitly agree with Pelosi while Donald is clearly about to start yelling obscenities  :lol:

That the WH also released this expecting people to think it makes Pelosi look bad and Donald look presidential is beyond words.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

When I first saw that original pic in this thread, that meme instantly popped into my head.  I was pleased to find the Internets didn't fail me when I quickly found that comparison image.  ^_^

frunk

That cat looks far more presidential.

Syt

What happened?

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
This is a great day for civilization. I am proud of the United States for sticking by me in following a necessary, but somewhat unconventional, path. People have been trying to make this "Deal" for many years. Millions of lives will be saved. Congratulations to ALL!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 17, 2019, 01:23:53 PM
What happened?

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
This is a great day for civilization. I am proud of the United States for sticking by me in following a necessary, but somewhat unconventional, path. People have been trying to make this "Deal" for many years. Millions of lives will be saved. Congratulations to ALL!

Judging by his other quotes, he has some kind of deal worked out with Erdrogan?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/syria-turkey-10-17-2019/index.html

QuoteThe latest: Vice President Mike Pence said Turkey has agreed to a ceasefire in Syria.
The terms: The Syrian Kurds/Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) must dismantle their defensive fortifications and pull troops from the border to appease Turkey.
What this means for the US: Pence said today the US will "continue to engage" in Syria, but "not militarily."

QuoteTurkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said the reached agreement between the US and Turkey to suspend military operations in Syria is not a ceasefire.

"This is not a ceasefire," Cavusoglu said during a televised news conference today.

"We will pause the operation for 120 hours in order for the terrorists to leave," Cavusoglu said. "We will only stop the operation if our conditions are met."

Cavusoglu said a "safe zone" would need to be established at roughly 20 miles east of the Euphrates river to the Iraqi border.

:hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

So the US completely gave in during these "negotiations", right?  Am I missing something?  Also, does the US even have the power to enforce any of their capitulations?  The Kurds have no reason to listen to the US any longer with Russia and Syria in their corner.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Oexmelin

Why, the Emperor's new clothes aren't clothes at all!
Que le grand cric me croque !