News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:50:46 PM
Exactly. There is no sovereignty outcome for the Kurds, so there's no reason for the U.S. to fight for them, morally or practically.

I don't find this convincing. It is unlikely this one extreme scenario will occur anytime soon and I do not understand why this one scenario is what determines everything in our policy with the Kurds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

chipwich

Quote from: viper37 on October 09, 2019, 03:54:55 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:01:07 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
Show your work. What is the overwhelming liability of protecting them?

They want independence are spread out between their four neighbors each of which don't want them to gain independence.

Strategic value: None, the US shouldn't be there anyway.
They are fighting for independance from:
Turkey
Syria
Iran
Irak.

Iran is a declared ennemy of your President. Shouldn't be a problem pissing them off, right?
Syria is a declared ennemy of the US and just about every occidental nations.  Shouldn't be a problem to piss 'em off, right?
Irak is holding together by the will of the US.  The Kurds there will settle for autonomy.  Shouldn'bt a problem to piss 'em off strike one of these great deals your President is so famous for?
Turkey is much more troublesome as an ally than anyone else in NATO.  They don't pull their fair share of the military costs, they don't actively engaged in outside peace keeping operations with NATO, and their only use as an ally was to maintain military bases and nuclear silos during the cold war.  Shouldn't be a problem to piss 'em off, right?  Unless your President is afraid?

It strikes me as cowardice by the current government of the United States.  Republicans can whine all they want, but they will not seriously oppose their president and go against him for more than token words of sorrow and dispointment.  They're the ones who enabled this.  It's like a SA complaining he got sent to Dachau after an unfair trial.

How about Canada solves these problems if it's so easy?

Berkut

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:20:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 03:18:11 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:09:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2019, 03:05:16 PM

Arguably the strategic value is showing the worth and trustworthiness and reliability of an American ally.

The United States needs to reduce it's number of allies and can't go around fighting wars just to maintain the number of deadweight allies it has.

The Kurds have fought courageously in the service of our shared interests though, hardly dead weight. They seem an odd choice if you want to shed unreliable, worthless allies. Turkey seems far more in that category than the Kurds.

What shared interests?

Destroying ISIS, of course.

In the last five years the SDF has lost around 11,000 men and women in the fight against ISIS. The US has lost 11.

Seems like it was a pretty fucking good deal we made.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Apparently the EU was going to issue a warning to Turkey over their attack on Kurdish positions in Syria but Hungary has vetoed it.

garbon

Who cares about chiptroll? Apparently Languish...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2019, 04:34:52 PM

I care about any unpopular position defended on the basis of facts.

Razgovory

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:54:05 PM
Preventing... Until the end of time?

No, just the United States ceases to exist.  This isn't really that onerous a task.  I mean, we protect Mississippi a place with no value strategic or otherwise.  Hell the Kurds are much less likely to attack the US than Mississippi.

We didn't' really have that many troops in Syria, and keeping them there until we can hammer out a treaty that protects the lives of our friends and hopefully grants them some form of autonomy.  I think that's worth keeping 50 guys there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on October 09, 2019, 04:33:11 PM
Apparently the EU was going to issue a warning to Turkey over their attack on Kurdish positions in Syria but Hungary has vetoed it.

<_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Russia is a much more important American ally than the Kurds.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 04:15:13 PM

Well, for starters who don't stab our allies in the back.  Perhaps the next President will have an opportunity to build confidence in the US again.  It is completely shot atm.

chipwich

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2019, 04:47:25 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 04:15:13 PM

Well, for starters who don't stab our allies in the back.  Perhaps the next President will have an opportunity to build confidence in the US again.  It is completely shot atm.

Canada should go rescue the Kurds then. Since Canada has so much confidence from the rest of the world. Go be the world police this time.

FunkMonk

Republicans in open revolt in the Senate, introducing bipartisan legislation placing heavy sanctions on Turkey when they come back from recess.

Donald singlehandedly destroying two alliances in a sensitive geopolitical region. Nice.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2019, 04:42:00 PM

I care about any unpopular position defended on the basis of facts.

That does not seem to describe the current situation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Right?  Slow day for people or what?  Why feed the troll?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 09, 2019, 04:54:13 PM
Republicans in open revolt in the Senate, introducing bipartisan legislation placing heavy sanctions on Turkey when they come back from recess.

Donald singlehandedly destroying two alliances in a sensitive geopolitical region. Nice.

They have obviously not heard Chipwich's argument justifying the decisions of the great and unmatched leader.