News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Trade Wars Are Easy to Lose

Started by The Minsky Moment, October 02, 2019, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/01/us-manufacturing-economy-contracts-to-worst-level-in-a-decade.html

QuoteThe U.S. manufacturing purchasing managers' index from the Institute for Supply Management came in at 47.8% in September, the lowest since June 2009, marking the second consecutive month of contraction. Any figure below 50% signals a contraction.

The new export orders index was only 41%, the lowest level since March 2009, down from the August reading of 43.3%, ISM data showed.

"We have now tariffed our way into a manufacturing recession in the U.S. and globally," said Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

If we were having an honest discussion about trade, instead of just ranting populist-like, I would here present this evidence as supporting my free trade ideals.

But that kind of discussion is not taking place so I will just feel really depressed...as per usual.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."