MS flight Simulator and the future of map building

Started by Iormlund, October 01, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 28, 2020, 08:08:19 AM
Someone on Reddit came across the NOAA P-3 while doing it with Live Traffic on.
Awesome. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 28, 2020, 04:04:45 AM
Anyone here tried storm chasing?
Apparently quite a fad with the incoming hurricane.

Can you go see Laura or are these computer generated random storms?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2020, 08:24:32 AM
Can you go see Laura or are these computer generated random storms?

They're the actual thing, as long as Live Weather is on and working.

FunkMonk

For those of us with absolute scrubcore pity machines, this guy goes over some Windows and graphics tweaks that seem pretty useful to increase your FPS in this FPS-destroying game.

https://youtu.be/CKVhyOZaUcU
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Took a flight from Veracruz to Villa Hermosa. I gladly admit I'm into this game mostly for the sightseeing and visuals. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

How are the actual flight mechanics and such as a simulation along with the aircraft controls?

Could this be used a poor mans trainer for actually learning how to get a private pilots license?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2020, 07:49:15 AM
How are the actual flight mechanics and such as a simulation along with the aircraft controls?

Could this be used a poor mans trainer for actually learning how to get a private pilots license?

The previous version of MS Flight Simulator (FSX) is apparently really good and is used by actual pilots for practice (though with some of the many add-ons, I think), though I doubt its sufficient for getting a license. I've been going through it the past few days following this guys videos (first part here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w13N40mAsPg) and it helps with teaching the basic concepts.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

I think I am supposed to fly under 100% realism but with some aids. What is suspect is that I do not have any aids for landing (apart from the virtual approach line displayed) and my planes suspiciously survive my terrible landings

MadBurgerMaker

It's good for giving you an idea of procedures and stuff, and you could probably use it for generally learning the area before actually going there, but it's not like really doing it.  Not *really.*  There's a lack of feedback that makes some things more difficult IMO too, like trimming it (this is very irritating for me in game) and actual flying parts like the time to rotate or that last...100ish feet before you touch down.  Then again, you CAN navigate from another city to fly a 747 into your house like a meteor and still be a-okay, so the trim thing is easy to get over.

E:  To be clear, I've only flown the 152 and 172 IRL, so that's what I'm going by.

I finally went back to DKR to land on it and discovered a....rather distracting graphical bug:

The turf is hovering over the field.  I also forgot to pull back on the stick while mashing the brakes, so the grounds crew has a little extra work to do. 

HisMajestyBOB

The tall grass adds a a new element of strategy to the game: stealth and ambush. And it also camouflages you from kamikaze aircraft  ;)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Flew from Villa Hermosa to Campeche today. I think I might slowly make my way along the cities of Sid Meier's Pirates. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 30, 2020, 02:01:36 PM
The tall grass adds a a new element of strategy to the game: stealth and ambush. And it also camouflages you from kamikaze aircraft  ;)

:D  Might slow the game down a little too much though.  Linebackers trying to cut through the grass with machetes before the opposing RB expedition navigates their way to the correct endzone while making sure they don't run out of supplies along the way.

MadBurgerMaker

You guys fly in the Andes yet?  ATC gets a little weird with all the altitude changes, but it looks cool at least:

There's a mountain under there..

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 01, 2020, 12:45:00 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 30, 2020, 02:01:36 PM

:D  Might slow the game down a little too much though.  Linebackers trying to cut through the grass with machetes before the opposing RB expedition navigates their way to the correct endzone while making sure they don't run out of supplies along the way.

Add the rushers ambushing the pocket with blowguns and jungle football already sounds better than the real thing.