MS flight Simulator and the future of map building

Started by Iormlund, October 01, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I remember that incident (god we're old). Amazing that he wasn't shot down.

Syt

Yeah, based on that Wiki article, he got VERY lucky. :D

I remember meeting a guy who went to school with him. Apparently he was always a bit weird.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Just completed the first leg of the Nevada challenge. Damn this game is pretty.

Syt

Took a trip from Vienna to Venice. The game can look quite nice:

Though there were some rough textures when crossing the mountains, and some noticeable seams between ground textures of better and lower quality.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Though some bits looked quite rough:

Vs. Google Maps:

However, I did have some connection issues during the flight, so that might have affected things.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on August 22, 2020, 08:02:44 AM
Hey there's some friends feature that I just noticed.  Want to friend each other? :)

Yes, Arth0is is the name you need, I think.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

If you haven't tried them yet, the bush trips are cool.  If you don't like the VFR map provided, or want something with a little more detail to supplement it, just fire up Bing Maps on a tablet and switch it to aerial view. 

E:  Tamas is doing one, I see.

Syt

I keep being gobsmacked by the terrain generation in this game. A far cry from the often generic textures in FSX.

—Stephen Jay Gould

HisMajestyBOB

I've just started with FSX and seeing all of these screenshots make me want to play FS2020. Unfortunately, there's no way in hell it will run on my laptop with an integrated graphics processor. Maybe I'll get an X Box One when it's released on that, I would like a media center anyway.

If you want to get inspired to do bush pilot shenanigans, read Flying Asses through Africa, which is about a bush pilot in southern Africa who mostly flew tourists to safari campgrounds, and Flying the Knife Edge, which is about a Papua New Guinea bush pilot.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Was on my way from Genoa to Rome, and the game crashed half way through. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 18, 2020, 02:04:09 PM
There are three different theme songs you can choose from: Color 1, Color 2, and Legacy, which is probably what you're looking for.
'Legacy' was indeed the theme song I was looking for.  Thanks. :thumbsup:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I took a trip around Madeira ... the game doesn't handle the extreme terrain well. :D Along the steep coastal cliffs, many textures are blurred. A lot of hotels are now industrial/warehouse buildings. And while there's no rivers on Madeira, because all precipitation is funneled into canals ("leavadas"), the game interprets the canals as rivers/creeks that wind their way around mountains. :lol:

Also, there's trees on the highest peaks of the island, even though they should be barren, with some highland-style heather below it before everything becomes forest again.

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

You guys seem to focus a lot on graphics. How is the actual sim part?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.