MS flight Simulator and the future of map building

Started by Iormlund, October 01, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

So I have just seen a jaw-dropping video on the upcoming MS FS.

If what they say is to be believed, you can fly anywhere and the engine will use Machine Learning to filter Bing Maps' images to create the terrain data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc

Now this is impressive enough, but think of Google Street View and the possibilities are amazing. GTA, Fallout, Left for Dead, Ghost Recon, AssCreed ...

HVC

Bing maps? i'm sure there'll be a mod to use google maps :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

What if you go to your gaming room and off yourself? Will your consciousness be trapped in the game?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Good idea. Surprised it hasn't been done before. Wonder if it is on Google's agenda with stadia.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Video showcasing flight over European cities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HwLeJSAGc

Barcelona, Brussels, Copenhagen, Florence, Naples, Rouen, Southampton, Venice, Zurich

:o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

I hadn't heard Microsoft was jumping back into the flightsim arena. :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2019, 08:31:03 PM

Goddamit you people ARE getting old. It had to take a very dedicated ignorance of gaming news the past 6 months to avoid seeing the awesome teaser trailers

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on November 22, 2019, 07:42:07 AM

Goddamit you people ARE getting old. It had to take a very dedicated ignorance of gaming news the past 6 months to avoid seeing the awesome teaser trailers

:lol:

Still no alpha invite :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Wait what's a flightsim?  Is that a game about some kind of flying carriage?  How do they get the horses up into the air?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

a) I don't work in the gaming industry
b) Being a captain of industry is hard work and I don't have much time for games anymore

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

DGuller

I feel bad for FBI when they'll have to investigate all the automated alerts about people crashing into certain buildings in the sim.

Tamas

I've just ordered a Geforce 1660 Ti card, mainly for RDR2 but I guess it'll be plenty useful for this game as well.