The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2021, 03:40:52 PM
Shortly before the Georgia runoffs Trump came down for a rally with the senate republicans. Which seemed like a massive peace offering for the Georgia republican party he seemed to be going to war with.

But there is a story out that just before the rally he told Loeffler that either she support his movement to reject the electoral votes or he would go out on stage and end any chance she had to win the election.

Which is a pretty gangster move and in the end Loeffler decided to trade her soul for Trump's support that didn't even save her seat so no tears for her, but I imagine that her old colleagues don't feel the way I do.

A story with anonymous sources?  ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on February 12, 2021, 04:10:38 PM
Is there likely to be a conviction? As long as there isn't the defense was good enough.

Pretty low bar.  This is a political stage.  You gotta think a lot of Republicans were squirming while they watched what had become of their party.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2021, 04:15:16 PM
A story with anonymous sources?  ;)

Yes, but at least one that described a fact pattern that could be plausibly debunked.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2021, 04:56:05 PM
Yes, but at least one that described a fact pattern that could be plausibly debunked.

How so?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2021, 05:13:00 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2021, 04:56:05 PM

How so?

"Kelly Loeffler was told by Trump to do x or y would happen" could be denied by Loeffler and/or Trump. Without going back to the stories, it theoretically also described circumstances that could be investigated.

"An unnamed house member would have voted for x but was too scared" is all but impossible to invalidate.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Josquius

Part of me wonders whether the whole thing is trumps lot deliberately speaking nonsense just to highlight how awesome and powerful he is that he can get away with anything with no ill effects. As let's face it the republicans wouldn't convict no matter the way strength of the case.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2021, 05:23:17 PM
"Kelly Loeffler was told by Trump to do x or y would happen" could be denied by Loeffler and/or Trump. Without going back to the stories, it theoretically also described circumstances that could be investigated.

"An unnamed house member would have voted for x but was too scared" is all but impossible to invalidate.

On further reflection, I'm going to back off saying the Loeffler story is true. It is better journalism than the latter example for sure, and de facto puts Loeffler / the campaign on the record as claiming that happened, because it would be so easy to deny. It also explains why she said at the rally she would not support certification, but then days later after the election did support certification.

But...it is also a very convenient story for Loeffler and her strategists: the problem wasn't that they were shit, the problem was that Trump was making them say shit things.

The Minsky Moment

Trump Impeachment Lawyers: the evil democrats are terrible.  They presented hearsay that wouldn't be admissible in court.  They "doctored" evidence by accurately copying down the contents of now deleted twitter accounts.  And they didn't show the full context of every video quotation.

Now we are play an endless video montage of Democrats tallking where every word has been removed except "fight"

The defense rests.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

This would be funny if I didn't know that in two or four years, after a boring run of quiet governing competence, voters would put the aggressively incompetent nuts back in power. :x

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2021, 08:16:19 PM
This would be funny if I didn't know that in two or four years, after a boring run of quiet governing competence, voters would put the aggressively incompetent nuts back in power. :x

It's the only way to keep the communists out.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2021, 11:02:14 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2021, 10:58:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 12, 2021, 10:51:48 AM
IIRC that's being investigated in a separate case in criminal court in Georgia, and was not part of the impeachment process.

Big mistake IMO.
But how is it linked to the January 6 events?

And do you think it would make any difference to the result?
Make it a separate charge.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2021, 08:16:19 PM

Don't worry, it will be the aggressively competent nuts this time.

Zoupa

That lawyer was going heavy on the Chewbacca defense.

Not that it matters. He could have said "My client is guilty. Here is the proof, on tape, in writing" etc it still wouldn't matter.

I don't understand these politicians. What's the big deal? 99% of them are rich as fuck. Keep some dignity and go back to enjoy your millions in peace.

Why are they hanging on so much? Is that shred of power they think they have that addictive?

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on February 13, 2021, 03:17:38 AM
Why are they hanging on so much? Is that shred of power they think they have that addictive?

Republicans are ideologically committed to the dismantling of democracy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on February 13, 2021, 03:34:12 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on February 13, 2021, 03:17:38 AM

Republicans are ideologically committed to the dismantling of democracy.

so's many others if you look around a bit