When Young George Washington Started a War

Started by viper37, September 24, 2019, 09:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2019, 02:26:37 PM
I am reminded of Keegan's line about the Italians in WWII being in the uncomfortable situation of fighting alongside people they hated against people they liked.
Definitely some of that in the 7 Years War for the French.  The changing of Prussia to Austria as an ally for France has been mentioned as an issue in the continental fighting.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

The French had been backing the Imperial Protestants against the Habsburgs for over 100 years. And they had been in a battle for continental supremacy with the Habsburgs all the way back to the 1470s. You don't just reverse all of that overnight, but I think this goes back to what Oex said before. The British were pretty good at making sure their people hated the French and Catholics in general, but the French monarchy did not really make much of an effort to get its people onboard with its foreign adventures.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 25, 2019, 02:22:48 PMThat was simply the Amazon snippet.  I recall it being much more nuanced and in depth than what was portrayed there, but it has been probably 5 years since I read it.  If you ever get the chance, I'd love to see what you think of it.  They do make mention of the bureaucracy being insufficient and embroiled in intrigues, infighting, and corruption.   The dedication and single minded focus on hating the French was also a solid tool, as you mention.  The French had a whole host of enemies and allies who danced about them and couldn't afford to be so single-minded in their rage.

I have begun reading it. Yi's suggestion has got me thinking - and I am finishing a scholarly article about recent Seven Years War historiography... perhaps a first step for a book? I'll see where that takes me.

However, and unfortunately, first impressions of the book are not great... :(
Que le grand cric me croque !

dps

Quote from: grumbler on September 25, 2019, 04:54:12 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 24, 2019, 02:28:42 PM

hmm, I'm not aware of a Battle at fort St-George in this war?  Neither fort Hangar?  You sure you ain't mixing you wars?
They were incomplete.  The first was known also as Trent's Fort.

Wasn't it Fort Prince George, not Fort St. George?

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 03, 2019, 10:49:18 PM

Wasn't it Fort Prince George, not Fort St. George?
[/quote]

That could well be.  It's been a while since I read up on this war.  Maybe time to start again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on October 03, 2019, 11:42:35 PM
That could well be.  It's been a while since I read up on fought in this war.  Maybe time to start again.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 02, 2019, 12:09:06 PM
I have begun reading it. Yi's suggestion has got me thinking - and I am finishing a scholarly article about recent Seven Years War historiography... perhaps a first step for a book? I'll see where that takes me.

However, and unfortunately, first impressions of the book are not great... :(
:(  I was hoping it was at least passable.  Damn.  I know the popular book on my small area of knowledge (Central/Western/Northern New York in the Rev War) is pretty damn meh compared to my personal favorite.  Not being able to speak the language, it is damn hard to track down anything from the French perspective for the F&I.  I'd love to see you put out a book on the topic. :cheers:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 05, 2019, 08:40:12 PM
Not being able to speak the language,
I'm pretty sure there are online courses for that ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

Anything worthwhile is printed in English!  :bowler:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien