Austrian conservative-far right coalition over after scandal tape leaked

Started by Syt, May 17, 2019, 01:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 27, 2019, 03:23:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2019, 02:45:35 PM

Kurz is the chancellor with the shortest period in office since the end of the war. Also, Kurz has ended two coalitions in two years.

True to his name, what's the problem?  :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Austrian state broadcaster commenting on Strache qualifying for an EU mandate:

Reference to:

(English title: Look who's back)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Syt

My guess is yes, unless the FPÖ has some really damaging dirt on him that they decide to dish out.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The president has appointed an interim chancellor to assemble a new candidate. It's the chairwoman of the constitutional court, Brigitte Bierling.

A perfect choice, as one commenter said:
- The Social Democrats are happy because she's a woman
- The ÖVP is happy because she's conservative
- the Greens are happy because she's competent
- The FPÖ is happy because her name contains "Bier"
:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Something has come up. Apparently, 5 days before the vote of no confidence, the head of social media of the chancellor's office went to a local disposal company. He brought 5 hard drives that he asked to be shredded. Staff noticed a few weird things:
- he was super nervous
- he asked to be present during the shredding
- he asked the HDDs to be shredded three times (when once is considered enough)
- he asked to take remains home in a bag

On top of this, he didn't pay the invoice of 70-something Euros. When trying to collect the money the company noticed that the guy had given a fake name. However, an employee recognized him when watching a press conference of Kurz where he was standing in the background. Also, he was ID'ed through his (real) phone number that he gave to the company.

Of course there's a lot of guessing what was on those hard drives that required this procedure (normally such things go under lock and key in the state archive when a government loses power and won't be made available until 30 years later to the public).

The state prosecutors are investigating.

ÖVP says this was "totally normal", had nothing to do with the Ibiza affair, and it was just some press release drafts.  :rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2019, 09:59:45 AM
ÖVP says this was "totally normal", had nothing to do with the Ibiza affair, and it was just some press release drafts.  :rolleyes:
yeah, sure, everyone knows those press release drafts are über confidential.  :P

So, a stupid party employs stupid people to do stupid things, and when they get caught, they say stupid stuff to try and wiggle out of it.  How... traditional.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

The FPÖ is still polling at around 20% for the September elections (2017 they reached 27%). A large majority of their supporters want Strache to return to the political stage. Which I find rather scary, because if his followers don't care whether he's happy with breaking the law, and - as he said on tape - creating a media landscape like in Orban's Hungary, this shows how many people have given up on pluralist society.

Strache, meanwhile, has given his first official interview since the scandal. Considering that he was filmed trying to sell the country's biggest paper to a "Russian oligarch", it was only consistent that he gave it to the German language branch of RT.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Thats Trumpyism in a nutshell really.
They're not against corruption, law breaking, etc....
They're only against it when their opponent is doing it. And there just because it gives them ammunition.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Saint Sebastian descending to his followers in the countryside.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Oops, the police raided Strache's and Gudenus's homes, plus a few FPÖ offices. Not because of the Ibiza tapes.

Rather, there's apparently credible and strong suspicion that they promised one of the companies within the Austrian Gambling Associations to work towards laxer gambling laws in their favor if they put a promising FPÖ talent on the board of directors ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Little update. Sidlo, the person brought onto the gambling board has been called off. Weirdly it turned out that he had no qualifications for the job of CFO. Odd. But there were text messages corroborating the ploy. At any rate, a big Czech investor has now withdrawn from this gambling conglomerate.

In other news, following strong and credible evidence (or hoax/witch hunt, depending on what side you're on) about using party funds for private use, and weeks of deliberating, HC Strache and his wife have been kicked out of the FPÖ. Oops.

In the Vienna city parliament, 3 Strache fans have left the FPÖ and founded their own party, and it's expected that Strache will take the lead - in some ways a repeat of the FPÖ split with Haider in 2005. Observers snickered that every time the FPÖ joins a coalition government the coalition breaks early, and the party splits (they're 3 for 3).

Meanwhile, the coalition talks between conservatives and greens continue. Oh, and the FPÖ have lost further in the polls:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

The roses war between Strache and his former party FPÖ is continuing. FPÖ threatens to take him to court to recover legal expenses in the wake of the Ibiza scandal last year. There's also criminal investigations into Strache's expense reports from his time as vice chancellor and party leader. (There's also - unsubstantiated - claims that he spent 2-3000 EUR a month of the party's money on Clash of Clans.)

Strache showed up last week at an event of a group of former FPÖ politicians in Vienna who split off from the party, hinting at running against the FPÖ in the Vienna elections later this year. He said that he made the FPÖ what they were in recent years, and basically that the party is nothing without him, filled with people just looking for power and enriching themselves (pot, kettle, and all that).

After yesterday's elections in the state of Burgenland, where the social democrats got 50%, and the FPÖ dropped from 15% to under 10% (previously, the parties were in a coalition), Strache posted this:

"The election in Burgenland shows: under Norbert Hofer & Co. the FPÖ is on a course into irrelevance and loses everything I managed to gain. What will they run out of first? Voters or excuses? I feel sorry for Johan Tschürtz, he didn't derserve that."

To which Norbert Hofer replied: "Thanks a lot ...."

:popcorn:
—Stephen Jay Gould