Need to "clean" out a computer

Started by Saladin, August 15, 2019, 01:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saladin

Do you guys have any recommendations of how to really clean out a used computer?

We are talkning about thorough cleaning to root out suspected spyware, there's nothing on the hard drive that needs to be saved.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

viper37

Quote from: Saladin on August 15, 2019, 01:03:41 AM
Do you guys have any recommendations of how to really clean out a used computer?

We are talkning about thorough cleaning to root out suspected spyware, there's nothing on the hard drive that needs to be saved.
If there is a spyware, or even ransomware, does not matter how many zeros you write on the hard drive, it is in the OS files, therefore, your C:\ drive (assuming we're talking Windows here), hence, that is the drive that would need to be cleaned.

If you want to get rid of malware on any drive, use your Windows DVD or USB, select advanced installation, delete the partition(s), shut down 30s, boot on the Windows install disk, reinstall as normal.

If you want to get rid of all the actual data, you need a software like Ccleaner, Privazer or Darik boot&nuke (advanced user, boot on USB).

The first two run from your Windows installation, but that won't help you with hard to get rid of malware.

I think you should first try an online scanner like this one:
https://www.eset.com/ca/home/online-scanner/

If it does not find anything and you still think there is a malware, we can try something more advanced.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Saladin

Thanks for the tips! It's just a precautionary thing. :)
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

viper37

Quote from: Saladin on August 15, 2019, 05:37:16 AM
Thanks for the tips! It's just a precautionary thing. :)
I use a software called Rufus to make bootable USB drives.  It is very simple and seems to work with all kinds of ISOs (so far, haven't met an image it didn't work with).

I suggest you use that to create a bootable USB with Darik's software and clean all of the drives on your old computer with that.

A note:
If you have a SSD drive, running this kind of software on it is likely to shorten its lifespan, compared to a traditionnal HDD.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.