News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Recession Megathread

Started by Tamas, August 01, 2019, 06:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2019, 03:59:42 PM
Americans are...not consuming enough? All those pointed critiques of our consumer culture artists have kept making for the past century must have finally had an impact.

Modern civilization is too efficient so we can't keep everybody employed by producing only things we actually require, hence we need people to buy things they actually don't.

Maximus

Americans are...not consuming enough? All those pointed critiques of our consumer culture artists have kept making for the past century must have finally had an impact.

I expect it's at least partially a result of increased income and wealth inequality, but I am no economist.

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on August 23, 2019, 04:08:59 PM

Modern civilization is too efficient so we can't keep everybody employed by producing only things we actually require, hence we need people to buy things they actually don't.
You can always go for more leisure rather than more useless crap.  Would thing really be awful if 10 hours of work a week would be productive enough to fulfill all your material needs?

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2019, 11:53:46 AM
https://econofact.org/whats-the-problem-with-low-inflation

QuoteLow inflation can be a signal of economic problems because it may be associated with weakness in the economy. When unemployment is high or consumer confidence low, people and businesses may be less willing to make investments and spend on consumption

Is that all you learned from the link?

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2019, 04:37:40 PM

You can always go for more leisure rather than more useless crap.  Would thing really be awful if 10 hours of work a week would be productive enough to fulfill all your material needs?

The real trouble here is I can't parcel my leisure out very well in most industries, but have to essentially purchase leisure in a big chunk at the end of working life. It is, I suppose, possible for many people to transition to part-time work as they age rather than stopping all at once, but that's not practical for most.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

Quote from: Habbaku on August 23, 2019, 05:00:56 PM
The real trouble here is I can't parcel my leisure out very well in most industries, but have to essentially purchase leisure in a big chunk at the end of working life. It is, I suppose, possible for many people to transition to part-time work as they age rather than stopping all at once, but that's not practical for most.

I mostly just work half-assed to maximize my leisure.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2019, 04:56:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2019, 11:53:46 AM
https://econofact.org/whats-the-problem-with-low-inflation

QuoteLow inflation can be a signal of economic problems because it may be associated with weakness in the economy. When unemployment is high or consumer confidence low, people and businesses may be less willing to make investments and spend on consumption

Is that all you learned from the link?

No. That was a very interesting link. Thanks.

I was just making a joke about Americans failing to consume enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on August 23, 2019, 05:00:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2019, 04:37:40 PM

Yeah, the fact that productivity is probably superlinear with hours worked up to a point makes it hard to buy more leisure incrementally.  More stuff would be produced by 25% of workers putting in 40 hours a week compared to 100% of workers putting in 10 hours.  I don't know what the solution is, but I'm not convinced there isn't one.

Josquius

I've been saying this for years, it isn't just Americans.
Where once the biggest limiter in the economy was how much could be produced, for some time now  consumers have been a more valuable commodity than producers.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2019, 10:32:02 AM
UBS saying to sell stocks

I think UBS has always been in favor of selling stocks, as needed.  Now they aren't saying sell off all stocks, but, rather, take a more conservative position less dependent on stocks.

The right stocks still represent a good long-term value.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

yeah, they say to diversify and sell off higher risk stocks. the article itself says a recession is unlikely, but I wanted to be alarmist dammit lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.