News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Sadly, the NRA nuts have simply won the narrative.  They may not be numerically in the majority, but their marginal political impact is certainly high.  Nothing will get done until something happens that wakes up the conscience and empathy of the gun nuts.

11B4V

If Las Vegas and/or Sandy Hook didn't move the needle, neither will these.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on August 04, 2019, 11:36:32 AM
Sadly, the NRA nuts have simply won the narrative.  They may not be numerically in the majority, but their marginal political impact is certainly high.  Nothing will get done until something happens that wakes up the conscience and empathy of the gun nuts.

According to the Texas Lieutenant Governor, we just need to put prayer back in schools. That'll fix it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2019, 11:49:30 AM

According to the Texas Lieutenant Governor, we just need to put prayer back in schools. That'll fix it.

Well it's halfway there.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

There is probably a psychological aspect there beyond just the typical idiocy at work.  It's a lot easier to ignore the connection between gun fetish and exploded skulls of innocent people if you can project the blame onto someone else.

merithyn

I changed the subject. Not worth trying to keep up anymore.

Sophie Scholl

Don't forget the Lieutenant Governor of Texas and the piece of shit "journalist" Andy Ngo pushing the "Antifa is deep down the real cause of the shooting in El Paso and they should stay out of Texas" narrative.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 04, 2019, 03:29:41 PM
Don't forget the Lieutenant Governor of Texas and the piece of shit "journalist" Andy Ngo pushing the "Antifa is deep down the real cause of the shooting in El Paso and they should stay out of Texas" narrative.

Actually I'm told it's video games that are really to blame.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Camerus

Antifa are scum and should stay out of Texas  - or just about anywhere for that matter. I'm glad they  - or their extreme right equivalent - don't noticeably operate in my city.   :)

Is there a link to a story where Andy Ngo blames them for the shooting?

11B4V

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 04, 2019, 03:29:41 PM

Ah, the blame game.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Camerus on August 04, 2019, 06:14:37 PM
Antifa are scum and should stay out of Texas  - or just about anywhere for that matter. I'm glad they  - or their extreme right equivalent - don't noticeably operate in my city.   :)

Is there a link to a story where Andy Ngo blames them for the shooting?

I think the Right-wing equivalent would be 3%ers.  Like Antifa, I don't think they've ever killed anyone in the US.  I'm not certain of that, there could be 3 Percenter linked murders.  They probably do operate in your city.

It is very important we shout the word "antifa" as loud as possible.  We need to create some sort of connection, no matter how fictional, so people won't think about the fact that a person just killed 20 people because he acted on what are typical Republican talking points.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Dayton police killed the shooter 30 seconds after he fired his first shot. He still managed to kill 9 people and injure over a dozen.

Jesus. That's insane.

Oexmelin

Well armed citizens should randomly shoot in crowds to prevent mass shootings by bad guys.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2019, 11:22:16 AM
So, other than Benedict Arnold's post,  nothing in the latest shooting? Just whether the police are too militarized?

Welcome to America, where radicalized white men shooting a couple dozen people is so mainstream as to be ignored anymore.

Not blaming you guys. Just sad at that reality.

I mean after awhile what is the point of discussing them? Nothing happens or changes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2019, 10:21:37 PM
Dayton police killed the shooter 30 seconds after he fired his first shot. He still managed to kill 9 people and injure over a dozen.

Jesus. That's insane.

Thirty seconds is a lot of time for a shooter. Even an untrained one. While the police response was exceptionally fast this time... It is generally not the norm