News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I'm just going to point out some serious media bias here. That shooting in Brooklyn? I had to do a search to find any information on it. The shooting in California? It's everywhere.

Major differences between the shootings:

California

• Three dead, all of whom were very young (eldest was 23)
  • 12 injured
  • Random/terrorist shooting
  • All victims were white

Brooklyn

• One death, 38 year old man
  • 11 injured
  • No known motive, but police suspect gang violence
  • All victims were black

NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea: "Again, you're talking 12 separate individuals that sustained gunshot wounds. Several of them had gang histories, whether or not that played any role in the shooting or the motive is still undetermined."

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

That one just happened, yes? The one in the Walmart?

Fired employee*, it sounds like.

*Meri's greatest fear in the workplace.  :ph34r:

Grey Fox

Yeah that one.

It's a, pretty irrational, fear, considering, of mine too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

The New York shooting was slightly different in that the shooter(s) escaped. But...I don't know. Organized crime doesn't usually shoot up crowds of randos.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2019, 11:22:27 AM
The New York shooting was slightly different in that the shooter(s) escaped. But...I don't know. Organized crime doesn't usually shoot up crowds of randos.

Don't be silly, Valmy. These are Black People(tm). Clearly, it's gang-related.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 30, 2019, 11:20:51 AM
Yeah that one.

It's a, pretty irrational, fear, considering, of mine too.

I work for health insurance in the US. It is absolutely not irrational for me. I'm waiting for the first mass shooting at a health insurance company to happen.

Eddie Teach

You kinda undercut your claim that it's a rational fear when you note it's never happened before. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

The animosity toward health insurance companies is relatively new. It'll happen.

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on July 30, 2019, 11:18:25 AM
That one just happened, yes? The one in the Walmart?

Fired employee*, it sounds like.

*Meri's greatest fear in the workplace.  :ph34r:

I had an HR elective course in university (worked out timing wise, wasn't my first choice). I just remember one of the section on termination the recommended Friday afternoons. they didn't go straight out and say it, but it was heavily implied that this was so no one came back and shot up the place. Book was published in the US if that changes anything.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

The years that I taught this was always something on the back of my mind - I didn't have to fire anyone, but I did give out grades...arguments with the person who got a 78 and wanted an A were in some ways worse than the person who managed a 25 for the course...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 30, 2019, 11:12:35 AM
I'm just going to point out some serious media bias here. That shooting in Brooklyn? I had to do a search to find any information on it. The shooting in California? It's everywhere.

Major differences between the shootings:

California

• Three dead, all of whom were very young (eldest was 23)
  • 12 injured
  • Random/terrorist shooting
  • All victims were white

Brooklyn

• One death, 38 year old man
  • 11 injured
  • No known motive, but police suspect gang violence
  • All victims were black

NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea: "Again, you're talking 12 separate individuals that sustained gunshot wounds. Several of them had gang histories, whether or not that played any role in the shooting or the motive is still undetermined."

Well Brownsville is known as a not particularly safe area

https://time.com/3785609/brownsville-brooklyn/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on July 30, 2019, 02:16:28 PM
The years that I taught this was always something on the back of my mind - I didn't have to fire anyone, but I did give out grades...arguments with the person who got a 78 and wanted an A were in some ways worse than the person who managed a 25 for the course...

My dad was visiting the University of Iowa when a disgruntled Chinese physics student, angry his essay didn't win a prize, shot a bunch of people there; he was in the same building where a bunch of victims were shot (he wasn't involved and in fact didn't know anything was amiss until the cops arrived).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Iowa_shooting
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2019, 03:06:17 PM
Quote from: PDH on July 30, 2019, 02:16:28 PM

My dad was visiting the University of Iowa when a disgruntled Chinese physics student, angry his essay didn't win a prize, shot a bunch of people there; he was in the same building where a bunch of victims were shot (he wasn't involved and in fact didn't know anything was amiss until the cops arrived).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Iowa_shooting

Yeah. I was across the street from Van Allen getting a bagel before my first class the next day. I knew Anne's staff rather well, as they worked in a different building from where Anne was shot on the floor below my office. Miya was fairly well known after the shooting as she was regularly seen around campus.

It's when my "irrational" fear started.

Iormlund

It's such an alien fear. Terrorism aside, the last (only really) killing-spree I can recall was Puerto Hurraco, and that was almost 30 years ago.