And we're back!

Main Menu

US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 30, 2019, 04:58:33 PM

It's when my "irrational" fear started.

Ok now hold on. GF was saying his fear was irrational because he lives in Canada. That is what he meant by "considering". He was not calling your fear irrational.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2019, 03:06:17 PM
Quote from: PDH on July 30, 2019, 02:16:28 PM
The years that I taught this was always something on the back of my mind - I didn't have to fire anyone, but I did give out grades...arguments with the person who got a 78 and wanted an A were in some ways worse than the person who managed a 25 for the course...

My dad was visiting the University of Iowa when a disgruntled Chinese physics student, angry his essay didn't win a prize, shot a bunch of people there; he was in the same building where a bunch of victims were shot (he wasn't involved and in fact didn't know anything was amiss until the cops arrived).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Iowa_shooting

Was your the father the one who had a co-worker get a sex change and not notice it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2019, 06:36:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2019, 03:06:17 PM
Quote from: PDH on July 30, 2019, 02:16:28 PM
The years that I taught this was always something on the back of my mind - I didn't have to fire anyone, but I did give out grades...arguments with the person who got a 78 and wanted an A were in some ways worse than the person who managed a 25 for the course...

My dad was visiting the University of Iowa when a disgruntled Chinese physics student, angry his essay didn't win a prize, shot a bunch of people there; he was in the same building where a bunch of victims were shot (he wasn't involved and in fact didn't know anything was amiss until the cops arrived).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Iowa_shooting

Was your the father the one who had a co-worker get a sex change and not notice it?

Damn Raz, you've got a good memory, I vaguely recall that story now you mention it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

That was Malthus's story - his dad was so embarrassed he later bought 10,000 dollar strollers for everyone.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on July 30, 2019, 07:30:28 PM
That was Malthus's story - his dad was so embarrassed he later bought 10,000 dollar strollers for everyone.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2019, 06:36:43 PM

Yup.

It's both impressive and mildly worrying that some people remember random gossip I passed on years ago.  :lol:

In this particular case, his lack of notice of gunshots wasn't as humorous - he was simply far away on another floor and didn't hear anything.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2019, 06:28:43 PM

Ok now hold on. GF was saying his fear was irrational because he lives in Canada. That is what he meant by "considering". He was not calling your fear irrational.

We do have mass shootings here as well - just more rarely.

For example, a guy murdered fourteen women in Montreal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_massacre

There is this difference though: that shooting happened thirty years ago, and is still regularly referenced. Partly because the shooter expressly claimed he was killing women to 'fight feminism', but also because large scale mass shootings aren't very common: it hasn't been surpassed in violence since.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

The chances of my being shot in the workplace - while higher than average because of my industry - is still pretty damn low. It is, by that standard, irrational. I recognize that.

However, because I was in close proximity to that particular college campus shooting and because of the industry I'm in, it's still a very real fear. The first thing that I do at any new job/desk is look to see where I could/should hide in the event of a shooting incident. I have a plan right now for getting out of my current building as quickly and quietly as possible. I know where my cellphone is at all times to call 911 "just in case". That's all a bit irrational, and I recognize that.

But when that kind of thing happens when you're young, and it continues to happen throughout your entire adult life, it's hard to discount the fear.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on July 31, 2019, 11:34:45 AM

The chances of my being shot in the workplace - while higher than average because of my industry - is still pretty damn low. It is, by that standard, irrational. I recognize that.

However, because I was in close proximity to that particular college campus shooting and because of the industry I'm in, it's still a very real fear. The first thing that I do at any new job/desk is look to see where I could/should hide in the event of a shooting incident. I have a plan right now for getting out of my current building as quickly and quietly as possible. I know where my cellphone is at all times to call 911 "just in case". That's all a bit irrational, and I recognize that.

But when that kind of thing happens when you're young, and it continues to happen throughout your entire adult life, it's hard to discount the fear.

I think you may be misunderstanding what both GF and Valmy are saying to you.  ie in your context your fear is not irrational but in another context, GF's fear, to the extent it exists, is :)

Syt

I read today something along the lines of, "18 years ago someone tried to light his shoe and today we still take off our shoes at airport security. Meanwhile there's hundreds of mass shooting every year and nothing happens."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 31, 2019, 09:42:37 AM

We do have mass shootings here as well - just more rarely.

For example, a guy murdered fourteen women in Montreal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_massacre

There is this difference though: that shooting happened thirty years ago, and is still regularly referenced. Partly because the shooter expressly claimed he was killing women to 'fight feminism', but also because large scale mass shootings aren't very common: it hasn't been surpassed in violence since.
one mentally hill dude kills 14 women and suddenly, all men with guns are women killers in waiting.
the only thing worst of that time period was the semi-successful crusade against violent animes.  They've been mostly banned from the air in Quebec.  Let your kid watch a transformer cartoon and he'll grow up to be the next Lepine.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

The only thing worse than a semi-successful crusade against anime is a failed crusade against anime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-08-03/what-we-know-about-patrick-crusius-el-paso-rampage

Quote[...]

Although authorities did not publicly confirm his identity or describe the precise contents of the manifesto, a document posted on the website 8chan about an hour-and-a-half before the rampage spoke about the "invasion" of Latino immigrants and said the writer agreed with the shooter who killed worshipers at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. That document was posted by an anonymous user who posted another document under the file name "P._Crusius." That file was taken down, and it is not clear what it contained.

A Twitter account that appeared to belong to Crusius was shut down Saturday evening. Tweets on the account had praised President Trump and, in particular, his effort to build a wall along the U.S- Mexico border.

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, have law agencies been militarized enough yet?

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."