News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Field of Glory - Empires

Started by crazy canuck, July 21, 2019, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on June 02, 2020, 12:18:21 PM
I was very tempted to buy. But lockdown probably isn't the best time. I don't need another never ending game :ph34r:

It is a bit addicting.  There are interesting decisions to make every turn and if you want to take a break from the micro decisions the game offers, you can hand some or all of them over to the AI management system which works quit well.  I tend to prefer doing it all myself so my games do tend to take a while  :)

crazy canuck

Athens has been a great challenge, mainly because of Sparta.  I tried being friendly with them.  If Athens and Sparta have bad relations then Persia gets bonuses.  However in the end they still went to war with me.  Although there are a number of game mechanics to try to improve relations, the Persians also get a mechanic to sow dissension between Athens and Sparta.  In the end my economic advantage and navies won out over three separate wars with Sparta.  Now I am staring at the Persian empire at my gates.  They have crossed into Thrace and half of the Aegean Islands but they are also involved in several wars and rebellions.  So I will continue to build up my strength (ie develop my holdings around the Black Sea a bit more) recruit my armies, gather my allies and ready myself for the inevitable show down with the Persians.

crazy canuck

Field of Glory - Medieval is going to be released Q1  :cool:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

I've got 31% off a purchase from the Matrix or Slytherine store for my 9 year anniversary. I've been looking at getting this - based on the thread, I guess it's pretty good?
How is the expansion? Is it pretty stand-alone, or should I get it with the main game?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ancient Demon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 25, 2020, 10:31:24 AM
I've got 31% off a purchase from the Matrix or Slytherine store for my 9 year anniversary. I've been looking at getting this - based on the thread, I guess it's pretty good?

It is.

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 25, 2020, 10:31:24 AMHow is the expansion? Is it pretty stand-alone, or should I get it with the main game?

If you mean the Persia DLC, it requires the main game, not stand alone.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

HisMajestyBOB

Yeah, the Persia expansion. I mean, does it change the gameplay in the main game at all, or is it just alternative start dates or something?

HisMajestyBOB

I got the main game and the DLC because the coupon applies to both if bought together. Time to conquer for the glory of Persia and for SPQR.

Richard Hakluyt

Did you get the FOG2 game as well? I like to play out the critical battles at the tactical level.

crazy canuck

How is the expansion? Is it pretty stand-alone, or should I get it with the main game?

I recommend starting with the base game as you have.  The expansion has a lot of differences depending on which faction you play.  It is not just a different start date.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 26, 2020, 02:58:31 AM
Did you get the FOG2 game as well? I like to play out the critical battles at the tactical level.

No, I'll pick that up later if I enjoy FOGE.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 26, 2020, 09:01:37 AM

I recommend starting with the base game as you have.  The expansion has a lot of differences depending on which faction you play.  It is not just a different start date.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks :thumbsup:

Ancient Demon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 25, 2020, 02:19:23 PM
Yeah, the Persia expansion. I mean, does it change the gameplay in the main game at all, or is it just alternative start dates or something?

There's a few new features that impact the main game as well.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

crazy canuck

In the Persian expansion I have so far played the Persians, Athenians, Spartans and Carthaginians.   Really enjoyed the first three. They each had interesting faction specific mechanics that were different from the base game.  The Carthaginians played a lot like played a lot like that faction in the base game and it was not as rewarding.  I am now trying the Egyptians.  I am having trouble finding a viable front line infantry solution to reliably defeat the Persians.  If I can engage them on the plains or deserts I can win with my mobile troops and chariots.  But mountain passes - not so much.  I miss my Spartan units.