News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Field of Glory - Empires

Started by crazy canuck, July 21, 2019, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Been playing this the last few nights. Really enjoying it. Struggling to get loyalty/culture up to compensate the decadence, though.I was comfortably in the "green" ranks till I conquered most of Italy and became a Glorious Republic; since then I've been kinda struggling (and potentially missed my opportunity to take Carthage which is collapsing now). I've decided to go after Greece next, reasoning that this is already a reasonably cultured area. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Are there cutscenes as you become progressively more decadent?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2020, 04:27:25 PM
Been playing this the last few nights. Really enjoying it. Struggling to get loyalty/culture up to compensate the decadence, though.I was comfortably in the "green" ranks till I conquered most of Italy and became a Glorious Republic; since then I've been kinda struggling (and potentially missed my opportunity to take Carthage which is collapsing now). I've decided to go after Greece next, reasoning that this is already a reasonably cultured area. :P

Pacing your conquests is a big challenge  - there are often tempting targets but it will kill your decadence ratio.

Syt

The biggest millstone seems to be Rome itself. The city was so low on loyalty that I sent an army there which arrived just in time to crush Rebels. :D All other provinces are happy under my rule (or at least nowhere near revolting).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

Quote from: Syt on January 10, 2020, 04:51:21 AM
The biggest millstone seems to be Rome itself. The city was so low on loyalty that I sent an army there which arrived just in time to crush Rebels. :D All other provinces are happy under my rule (or at least nowhere near revolting).

Your capital will grow fast because of slaves captured in conquests.  For the Romans I try to build the historic things (Circus Maximus, The Colosseum, etc) there - even if the decadence is a big hit, the +40 or so loyalty can offset the growth problems.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

You can build slave markets in different Provinces to have new slaves dispersed more.

Syt

I also didn't have nearly enough people assigned to culture jobs.  :blush:

I've transformed from Glorious Republic to Young Empire, and this also took care of business. :D

Struggling to dislodge a force of Sardes from Southern Sardinia. :okinawa:
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2020, 12:10:28 PM
You can build slave markets in different Provinces to have new slaves dispersed more.

Yeah, I find you need about four slave markets dispersed in different provinces so you get the event to disperse/sell slaves to trigger enough and to spread the slaves out while waiting for the event to trigger.  Otherwise your capital becomes impossible to keep happy.  In first play through I thought I would be enlightened and not have any slave markets - that did not end well...

Syt

This is what Rome looks like. I don't have *that* many slaves there, actually. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

my suggestion is take your citizens away from working on infrastructure (they don't do it any better than slaves) and put them into culture or if you are short of money set them to work in the commercial area.  If you have slaves working on culture (can't tell all the pops working on that) take them out of there - slaves are essentially useless working at that.

One other tip - don't bother with islands.  They do not get adjacency bonuses.  Unless that has been fixed in a recent patch.  The only one I really bother getting is Malta as part of the Province of Sicily. 

Syt

I only have citizens working food/infra because otherwise I'd be running short. :P Culture is only citizens.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on January 13, 2020, 11:29:09 AM
I only have citizens working food/infra because otherwise I'd be running short. :P Culture is only citizens.

Rome isn't really where you should be producing your infrastructure.  Infrastructure is on a provincial basis. Let the other regions in the province produce all the infrastructure you need.  Same thing with food.

chipwich

Is there a way to become an empire as Rome?

Tamas

Quote from: chipwich on March 16, 2020, 09:11:46 PM
Is there a way to become an empire as Rome?

yes via the "aging" process in the game. When you get to the point the option will come up for you to click on.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 05:04:51 AM

yes via the "aging" process in the game. When you get to the point the option will come up for you to click on.

Can you "age" the Miami Hurricanes in this game?  Asking for a friend.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!