Main Menu

Field of Glory - Empires

Started by crazy canuck, July 21, 2019, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on August 08, 2019, 10:47:22 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2019, 10:32:40 AM
Quote from: Maximus on August 03, 2019, 01:21:09 PM
Rome is so overpowered. It's not that I've never seen them do poorly, it's that I've never even seen them do mediocrely.

In my last game Macedon became a superpower.  It had almost achieved a reconquest of Alexander's empire with the exception of Egypt and they are allied with the Ptolemies.  The Romans had a lot of trouble with them.

I had a game where the selucids hit superpower status super early. like 5000 legacy while I was at 1000 as rome. then they totally collapsed and ceased to be.

Yeah, they seem to do well in the first years and then always seem to collapse.

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2019, 10:32:40 AM
Quote from: Maximus on August 03, 2019, 01:21:09 PM
Rome is so overpowered. It's not that I've never seen them do poorly, it's that I've never even seen them do mediocrely.

In my last game Macedon became a superpower.  It had almost achieved a reconquest of Alexander's empire with the exception of Egypt and they are allied with the Ptolemies.  The Romans had a lot of trouble with them.
Yeah, that happens frequently, but Rome always stays in the top 3 until the Hellenes inevitably collapse.

crazy canuck

I am trying a new game as Rome with the goal of avoiding rebellions by keeping my population happy.  Not sure how it will work out but I find all the rebellions in a quickly expanding empire annoying.  I figure, slow expansion with a good balance of culture and buildings that promote happiness will do the trick.  I will also try to stay a Republic for longer.  Not sure how that will work either.

crazy canuck

One thing I hadn't really noticed before is loyalty rates don't just affect whether there will be a rebellion, it looks like it also modifies production.

HVC

production tax and culture I believe.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on August 14, 2019, 12:33:10 PM
production tax and culture I believe.

That explains why I am having a much easier time when concentrating on my loyalty levels.  :)

HVC

Most enjoyable game I've had so far was as Dacia. they have some good provincial units. But soon Rome collapsed into never ending civil wars and macedon gobbled them up and won the game. I kept playing though because it was still fun. sitting in those mountain passes with some heavy infantry just whittles the enemies armies down.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

I am having fun playing a slowly expanding Roman Empire with high loyalty.  I am almost always in a golden age since I collect enough tokens to enter a new one as or shortly after the old one is expiring.  There can be no revolts during a golden age so that allows me to acquire a new province or two, pause while that loyalty is brought up, rinse and repeat.  Getting the Imperial Legion unit early in the game is OP.  I don't have to build any military buildings to have the best armies I just have to have the cash on hand to trigger the option to upgrade - which is easy to do.

chipwich

It's murky how much culture is enough for a province to gain a legacy point.

Also, I am about to lose to Macedon which is gaining 223 points. I've checked their objectives and they every province in Macedon-Greece is an objective, is that normal?

crazy canuck

Quote from: chipwich on August 20, 2019, 12:27:17 AM

Also, I am about to lose to Macedon which is gaining 223 points. I've checked their objectives and they every province in Macedon-Greece is an objective, is that normal?

There are a number of ways to gain legacy points.  Macedon and the other Greek states get objectives within Greek territory.  Rome gets them depending on the direction of expansion.  Haven't played other factions yet.  But culture is the best way imo to get legacy points.

chipwich

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2019, 09:03:39 AM

There are a number of ways to gain legacy points.  Macedon and the other Greek states get objectives within Greek territory.  Rome gets them depending on the direction of expansion.  Haven't played other factions yet.  But culture is the best way imo to get legacy points.

How do I know when a province is refined?

crazy canuck

Quote from: chipwich on August 20, 2019, 03:16:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2019, 09:03:39 AM

How do I know when a province is refined?

From the manual

Legacy is gained from:
Having regions with over 2,500 culture points per turn;
Having regions with between 1,250 and 2,499 culture points per
turn;
How long your government has been in its current status with
this modified as a government of any tier that is Glorious gains
35% more Legacy and a Civilisation level III government gains a
base of 27 Legacy Points per turn;
How many objective regions you hold;
How many wonders and unique buildings you control

chipwich

I built a merc recruitment center but I don't see any mercs available

crazy canuck

I don't think they are always available.  I think it works like other buildings that give a chance of it happening.

HVC

if you don't see them as an option to recruit before you build the center (red corner so an option, but not available like when you don't have the cash for a unit) then I don't think the center does anything.