News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Field of Glory - Empires

Started by crazy canuck, July 21, 2019, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

This is a great game and deserves its own thread for discussion - I apologize if it already exists.

What I initially really like is all the options available for developing my provinces.  Lots of interesting decisions.  Plus the port to FOG2!

This looks like the game I have wanted to be made for a long time.

Richard Hakluyt

The game came out 12 days ago and I have already clocked up 118 hours  :Embarrass:

It has been years since I have been so intense over a video game.

There are constant interesting decisions and even as your faction becomes stronger one remains insecure; a truly excellent game  :cool:

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 22, 2019, 02:19:35 AM
The game came out 12 days ago and I have already clocked up 118 hours  :Embarrass:

It has been years since I have been so intense over a video game.

There are constant interesting decisions and even as your faction becomes stronger one remains insecure; a truly excellent game  :cool:

:o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Admittedly it runs nicely in the background on my machine; so probably about a third of those hours were spent doing other stuff.

crazy canuck

I enjoy that the battles using FOG2 now have meaning beyond just winning the battle - things like minimizing casualties becomes important.

I haven't played enough yet to figure out all that is going on, but there are a lot of things to consider and I like the fact that on every turn there are interesting decisions to make. 

Also, others actually declare war on me and the opposing AI tries to make life difficult for me when at war.  Haven't really figured out the diplomacy and trading systems.  That may have to wait for later in this play through, or the next.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2019, 02:08:17 PM
Haven't really figured out the diplomacy and trading systems.

OK Trump.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

The trading system is one of the best parts IMO, at least when it's not bugged.

I've managed to take the Arverni to a glorious tribal confederacy with a golden age. I'm not sure if there's anything up from here.

crazy canuck

You're right!  Spent some time to learn about how trading works - whole new level of complexity and decision making.  This game rocks!

Tamas

I was wondering if maybe we want to do multiplayer of this? We could preemptively give up any notion of ever finishing a full game, and 4-5 of us taking the successor kingdoms, so there's early conflict and diplomacy?

It's asynchronous so you'd only need to run the game while making your moves.

Maximus

I'd be tentatively up for it. Need a bigger challenge. About to start a Judea game.

HVC

so, I've been playing with a bit. once your empire gets big enough building buildings gets tedious.

But my main question is that in my current game I had a civil war and rome went to the usurper. I won it back, but now its not my capital. is there anyway to change it back? I can't find anything online

*Edit* nevermind, figured it out. demolishing the palace in the new province moves it back to rome
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maximus

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2019, 08:20:01 PM
so, I've been playing with a bit. once your empire gets big enough building buildings gets tedious.

But my main question is that in my current game I had a civil war and rome went to the usurper. I won it back, but now its not my capital. is there anyway to change it back? I can't find anything online

*Edit* nevermind, figured it out. demolishing the palace in the new province moves it back to rome

You can set provinces to auto build buildings. I haven't tried it, but there seem to be quite a few options.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2019, 08:20:01 PM

Also keep in mind that an empire can have two capitols.  Also, if you find building on the regional basis tedious (I personally find micromanaging the trade component interesting) you can simply select options within the Provincial commands to automate those tasks for that province.  Hint, also make provinces when you can there are bonuses for doing so and little downside.

HVC

Yup, I make provinces as soon as I can. How do you set up auto build? 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.