News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dyslexia - how real is it?

Started by Martinus, July 18, 2009, 04:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swallow

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 18, 2009, 08:30:54 AM
Overdiagnosed, and used overmuch as an excuse. I've got a similar issue with numbers transposition, but I just go back and recheck everything I wrote down to make sure it matches and 99 times out of 100, I catch the mistakes.
Yeah, me the same, with the same solution.  My grand dad used to have to do exactly the same and still managed to be an accountant.  I'm not sure, however, about people faking it as an excuse though - I thought in England that the reading age had to be under 9 to be diagnosed as nneding official help with duslexia - and that would be average reading age rather than normally bright 9 year old age

Norgy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2009, 08:16:59 AM
Quote from: Jaron on July 18, 2009, 05:51:56 AM
Most things are overdiagnosed nowadays. Its easier than accepting that some people are just born crazy. :P

"Not all children are smart and clever, got that?  Kids are like any other group of people: a few winners...a whole lot of losers."
--G. Carlin

George knew the score.  :cry:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2009, 08:16:59 AM
"Not all children are smart and clever, got that?  Kids are like any other group of people: a few winners...a whole lot of losers."
--G. Carlin

:lol:

I have that routine on CD.  Its great.

I haven't heard much about dyslexia used as an excuse or overdiagnosed, but unlike ADD (which I agree with you completely on) there isn't a convenient pharmacological treatment, so there's less motivation for overdiagnosis from the doctor's perspective.  Parents claiming their kid has dyslexia is a different story.

As for the Asperger's thing, aside from our high profile former member I haven't heard much about this disorder being used as an excuse.  In fact, from what I've found the rate of official diagnosis for Asperger's is less than that for full-blown autism.

BuddhaRhubarb

I never thought I was dyslexic until I started working with inventory and catching my own transpositions of numbers over and over.
:p

Palisadoes

I don't believe in it, though that is likely because I don't understand how it can possibly exist (letters and numbers move on a page :huh: !?!?).

swallow

I will say that when I was a kid, I'd be reading music and the lines and notes really did start to shimmer and then zig zag up and down the page.  It was a very real physical thing.  It also made me better at music because I had to read ahead and that gave me the time to interpret the music rather than just read and play the notes.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: vonmoltke on July 19, 2009, 11:40:07 PM
I haven't heard much about dyslexia used as an excuse or overdiagnosed, but unlike ADD (which I agree with you completely on) there isn't a convenient pharmacological treatment, so there's less motivation for overdiagnosis from the doctor's perspective.  Parents claiming their kid has dyslexia is a different story.

As for the Asperger's thing, aside from our high profile former member I haven't heard much about this disorder being used as an excuse.  In fact, from what I've found the rate of official diagnosis for Asperger's is less than that for full-blown autism.

From what I've seen, it seems to mostly be parents and school districts looking for government leniency in poor academic performance. It's another fad disorder in that kids who get in arguments or don't pay attention get ADD/ADHD pushed on them, and kids that don't perform well in math or reading get dyslexia pushed on them.

I'm going to second what swallow says, though. I've found the "read-ahead" effect to be pretty helpful- I tend to keep sharp on arithmetic by making it a game and racing cashiers/fellow students with calculators.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2009, 04:09:40 AM
Now, from my friends who have school-age kids, I understand it's much more common these days, with about 20-30% of kids getting diagnosed with dyslexia meaning that if they misspell something in a written paper, they don't get their marks reduced etc.)

Dyslexia is very real.

Kids get diagnosed with huge amounts of crap these days though to explain why they goof off in school.  When these kids become adults they will magically no longer have dyslexia, ADD, whatever anymore even though that should be impossible :P

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

In college I dated a girl who had dyslexia (her emails made Tim & Berkut look like typing tutors).  Frustrating as it was for her, it was probably a net benefit overall, because it pushed her to be an overachiever.  Kind of the same way Patton's dyslexia helped motivate him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2009, 09:54:37 AM
In college I dated a girl who had dyslexia (her emails made Tim & Berkut look like typing tutors).  Frustrating as it was for her, it was probably a net benefit overall, because it pushed her to be an overachiever.  Kind of the same way Patton's dyslexia helped motivate him.

aks ofr naal.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Knowing something about the disorder, how it is manifested, diagnosed, and compensated for, I find this, like many other languish discussions between the "armchair experts," wildly funny.

Mart, to answer your original question, dyslexia probably is not more common today, but it is diagnosed more because the science is more advanced and so more subtle forms of it are being recognized in the testing.

If the Polack school system allows students to avoid being marked off for mis-spelling just because they say "OMG man Im teh dslyectic lol so u cnat do anything 2 me if I rite like these, lol," then I would say your problem is with Polacks, not dyslexics.  I have taught maybe 100 dyslexic students through the years, and none were excused for mis-spellings (though some had accommodations that allowed them to type papers and use a spell-checker, or to use the Kerzweil machine and have tests and whatnot "read" to them using the machine).

As for those who "don't believe" in it, what can I say?  there are people who don't "believe in" all kinds of science.  Go visit your intellectual cousins in the creationist movement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Palisadoes

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2009, 10:16:29 AM
I have taught maybe 100 dyslexic students through the years, and none were excused for mis-spellings (though some had accommodations that allowed them to type papers and use a spell-checker, or to use the Kerzweil machine and have tests and whatnot "read" to them using the machine).

As for those who "don't believe" in it, what can I say?  there are people who don't "believe in" all kinds of science.  Go visit your intellectual cousins in the creationist movement.
*Currently* science doesn't really back up dyslexia. The way dylexics are "diagnosed" is by assessing their ability, not by taking a piss sample, or whatever. For this reason, to believe in dylexia is more similar to believing in creationism, than it is not to believe in science.

This is why I don't "believe" in dyslexia. I just can't understand how people's brains can make them perceive words jumping across a page, etc... plus there is no actual scientific proof besides testing ability (perhaps people who can't dance have a learning difficulty too?).

Saying all of that...

I think a lot of illnesses are just extreme forms of things which we all have to some extent. For instance, dyslexia and poor spelling, OCD and being tidy, bipolar and having mood swings. The extreme ends of the spectrum are offficial diseases/illnesses/disabilities. I can believe in a spectrum which we are all on in some degree.

The Brain

Can't you just listen to their bodies?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Palisadoes on July 20, 2009, 10:38:37 AM
*Currently* science doesn't really back up dyslexia. The way dylexics are "diagnosed" is by assessing their ability, not by taking a piss sample, or whatever. For this reason, to believe in dylexia is more similar to believing in creationism, than it is not to believe in science.

Well in the future when we understand the brain better it may be possible to diagnose simply by a brain scan of some sort.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Palisadoes

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2009, 10:41:09 AM
Quote from: Palisadoes on July 20, 2009, 10:38:37 AM

Well in the future when we understand the brain better it may be possible to diagnose simply by a brain scan of some sort.
Yeah, it is a possibility, though far from a certainty.