R.I.P. Ross Perot

Started by Caliga, July 09, 2019, 09:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on July 09, 2019, 01:16:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2019, 01:13:44 PM
Quote from: Threviel on July 09, 2019, 01:09:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2019, 09:59:55 AM
It's still crazy to think that for awhile in 1992 Perot was leading both Bush and Clinton in the polls.  There've been lots of 3rd party candidates over the years, but none were ever a threat to win the darn thing besides Perot.

Roosevelt?

Well I don't think they had public opinion polls in 1912, but I don't think Roosevelt ever had much chance of winning back then.  He just split the GOP vote and allowed Wilson the easy victory.

Sounds familiar.

In June of 1992 Perot led opinion polls with 39% of the vote (Clinton and Bush were tied at 24%).  He could have won the whole thing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Threviel

Roosevelt came second in the actual election and got 88 electoral votes. Infinitely more than Perot.

Threviel

And Roosevelt was also also a nut.

Valmy

Quote from: Threviel on July 09, 2019, 02:13:16 PM
And Roosevelt was also also a nut.

If only we had a few more as nutty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

I watched one of his 30-minute commercials/campaign ads in tribute.  How things have changed in politics. :(

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 09, 2019, 04:03:43 PM
I watched one of his 30-minute commercials/campaign ads in tribute.  How things have changed in politics. :(

That's not a sign that things have changed - Perot's 30 minute infomercials were always one of a kind in politics.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2019, 12:42:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2019, 10:02:42 AMI sure wish Bush had won that election. Ah well.

Really? Rather than Clinton?
I'm not sure that Clinton was a good thing in the long run.  His personal success ultimately cost the Democratic Party dearly, which is a bad thing for the country given that the increasingly authoritarian GOP is the other party.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2019, 01:13:44 PM
Quote from: Threviel on July 09, 2019, 01:09:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2019, 09:59:55 AM
It's still crazy to think that for awhile in 1992 Perot was leading both Bush and Clinton in the polls.  There've been lots of 3rd party candidates over the years, but none were ever a threat to win the darn thing besides Perot.

Roosevelt?

Well I don't think they had public opinion polls in 1912, but I don't think Roosevelt ever had much chance of winning back then.  He just split the GOP vote and allowed Wilson the easy victory.

The Dem convention was long and drawn out and Clark started out with a hundred more votes than Wilson and nearly won.

If Clark, a conservative democratic had eked out the nomination, the progressive vote would not have been split and would instead have rallied around TR. Clark was also prone to overconfidence and not that great a campaigner, he lost his first re-election attempt in congress.

I think a win in those circumstances was possible given how weak some of the performances by democratic candidates between 1904 and 1924 were. 1904 they got 37.4%, 1920 they got 34.1% and 1924 they got 28.8%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2019, 10:02:42 AM
I sure wish Bush had won that election. Ah well.

Just.... wow.  If Bush had been that great, he would have won re-election.  Instead, we had the best eight-year run of economic success since the 1950s.  Clinton was actually paying DOWN the debt while keeping unemployment low (about half of what it was under Bush). He saw more job creation in eight years than Roosevelt in 12 - and didn't start with Roosevelt's unemployment numbers.

I could do with more of that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Maybe Bush's hips didn't lie. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.