Italy
0 (0%)
South Korea
0 (0%)
Other
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Monoriu

There was a lot of interest in the Singaporean model in the Mainland.  But the combination of judicial independence, lean and clean bureaucracy, respect for minority rights, far less internet censorship, land reform for the purpose of providing affordable and quality public housing, and much better social services is almost a paradigm shift for the Mainland. 

Camerus

Lee Kuan-Yew was a key inspiration for Deng's reforms.

Monoriu

Choosing between Singapore and Hong Kong is tough.  Singapore is an independent country; Hong Kong is part of China.  Hong Kong has a lot more civic freedoms; but Singaporeans can elect their government.  The housing situation in Hong Kong is beyond hopeless for most people; Singapore has more draconian laws and some internet censorship.  There is conscription in Singapore and massive influx of foreign workers; Hong Kong is flooded by mainland tourists.  Singapore has better welfare but higher taxes and mandatory savings plans; Hong Kong has very little retirement benefit but lower taxes. 

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on June 20, 2019, 09:36:10 PM
Choosing between Singapore and Hong Kong is tough.  Singapore is an independent country; Hong Kong is part of China.  Hong Kong has a lot more civic freedoms; but Singaporeans can elect their government.  The housing situation in Hong Kong is beyond hopeless for most people; Singapore has more draconian laws and some internet censorship.  There is conscription in Singapore and massive influx of foreign workers; Hong Kong is flooded by mainland tourists.  Singapore has better welfare but higher taxes and mandatory savings plans; Hong Kong has very little retirement benefit but lower taxes.

Yet Singapore often tops "Happiest Countries" lists while Hong Kong never does; demonstrating that more freedoms don't make us happier, but more canings do.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maladict

Quote from: Savonarola on June 21, 2019, 09:34:25 AM

Yet Singapore often tops "Happiest Countries" lists while Hong Kong never does

To be fair, it's not a country  :P

Savonarola

Quote from: Maladict on June 21, 2019, 10:12:01 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 21, 2019, 09:34:25 AM

Yet Singapore often tops "Happiest Countries" lists while Hong Kong never does

To be fair, it's not a country  :P

Fair enough; but Hong Kong is never on the "Happiest Cities" lists either; so I'll stand by my thesis that canings = joy.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 20, 2019, 01:29:07 AM
I voted for the Netherlands. I like their combination of social liberalism whilst actually being a bunch of squares.

I would like to be reborn in the posh end of Wassenaar pls.

We stayed in Wassenaar back when I visited the Netherlands.  Would absolutely be a nice place to live.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2019, 10:50:53 AM

We stayed in Wassenaar back when I visited the Netherlands.  Would absolutely be a nice place to live.

For real? It's basically the Dutch Beverly Hills without the hills.
A boring town full of white reactionary oh wait I get it  :P

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on June 21, 2019, 11:34:12 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2019, 10:50:53 AM

For real? It's basically the Dutch Beverly Hills without the hills.
A boring town full of white reactionary oh wait I get it  :P

Or maybe it would be a Flodder scenario? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Beverly Hills is a boring town full of reactionaries?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2019, 11:38:32 AM

Beverly Hills as in one of the wealthiest suburbs in the country. My knowledge of the area is fully derived from 90s TV series.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on June 21, 2019, 11:41:42 AM

Beverly Hills as in one of the wealthiest suburbs in the country. My knowledge of the area is fully derived from 90s TV series.

Is is traditionally where the Hollywood producers and big stars live. Wealthy, but I doubt it is boring.

But then that is just its reputation from the days of yore. I have no idea what 2019 Beverly Hills is actually like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

The bright lights of Den Haag are just a few kilometres down the road  :P

dps

Quote from: Maladict on June 21, 2019, 11:41:42 AM

That puts you a bit up on me.  My knowledge of it is mostly derived from an older TV series.  :)