News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Started by Syt, June 06, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

BG2 is much better than BG1. Definitely worth playing if you never played it.

Its not really a direct continuation as the segue between the two story lines is a bit far fetched and assumes a certain party setup in BG1.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2023, 04:56:49 PMBG2 is much better than BG1. Definitely worth playing if you never played it.

They are very different despite being in a very similar engine. I strongly disagree BG2 is better.

QuoteIts not really a direct continuation as the segue between the two story lines is a bit far fetched and assumes a certain party setup in BG1.

Yes. Definitely an annoyance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2023, 04:56:49 PMBG2 is much better than BG1. Definitely worth playing if you never played it.

Its not really a direct continuation as the segue between the two story lines is a bit far fetched and assumes a certain party setup in BG1.
I was surprised that the canon party was my party in BG 1.  Siege of Dragonspear is suppose to play out the segue between the two games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2023, 06:58:44 PM

They are very different despite being in a very similar engine. I strongly disagree BG2 is better.
Fair enough, it is a matter of taste. Anyway, if you like BG1, you should at least play BG2 once to see if you also like it.

Tamas

These isometric RPGs are something I have really wanted to like but always seem to burn out on them far before I can finish them. I wonder why that is.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on July 13, 2023, 04:53:17 AMThese isometric RPGs are something I have really wanted to like but always seem to burn out on them far before I can finish them. I wonder why that is.

A lot of them are really long since they are relatively simple to make content for. I would like to recommend the Heart of Winter expansion for IWD since it is such a short and exciting adventure...but it is also hard as shit so not really a good intro adventure.

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2023, 11:01:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2023, 06:58:44 PM

Fair enough, it is a matter of taste. Anyway, if you like BG1, you should at least play BG2 once to see if you also like it.

I agree. They are both really good but despite being in mostly the same engine with the same characters and the same rules they are very different.

I slightly prefer BG1 because holy shit BG2 is hard and has a very long (if exciting and cool) linear part in the middle of the game. And there is something almost evil about Throne of Bhaal (granted it literally takes place in the lower planes and all...) about how ruthlessly it stretches the AD&D 2nd Ed rules for a super highly level game.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

Yeah, if you want to do all optional quests in BG2, it will take a while. And yes, the middle chapter, as well as Throne of Bhaal, is fairly linear, but before and after that you can explore a very nice world.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2023, 11:18:35 AM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on July 12, 2023, 05:10:23 AMI just started Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition for my first playthrough of any of the games. It was that or Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition. So far BG1EE is... ok? Is it worth playing other than for nostalgia which I lack? Should I skip to 2? NWN? I made a half-orc full cleric of Tyr because... it seemed like a good idea at the time?  :lol:

Sophie! :hug:

For some reason I thought you left us.

BG1EE is a little unbalanced from using the the BG2 engine but otherwise still really great IMO. If you want the experience of exploring a world with a team of adventurers and don't mind not finding anything of interest a large amount of the time. And low level adventures have a certain charm BG2 doesn't have IMO.

But I also LOVED BG1 when it came out. I won it six times the first year I had it  :blush:

BG2 is a quite different than BG1 as there is less focus on exploration and just on lots of action all the time. Plus if there is a monster you like in Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition it shows up in BG2 or BG2:ToB someplace. Even obscure Dark Sun and Planescape stuff.

My main annoyance with BG1 to BG2 is that BG2 just assumes you had a certain party of adventurers with you in BG1 and does weird things with the other BG1 companions.

Agreed.
BG1 is much better.
BG2 begins to lean a bit much into power gaming and combat. Which is not the strongest part of the game.

Though minsc, imoen, and jaheira were from my bg1 party. I guess they are the most typical straight forward good aligned party.
Kind of a shitty transition between the games though yes.
Surprised modders haven't done something with that (or maybe they have. I haven't checked)
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

There's a whole game that deals with the transition.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I've started BG2, about 12 hours in (yes, in Story Mode ... feeling lazy :P ). (No spoilers, pls!)

It indeed starts off a lot more in medias res than the 1st one. And it seems you can't walk five feet without running into a new quest. I feel every time I finish one quest, two new ones are added to the journal. The quests are fun, but I kinda miss the chill exploration of the first game. "Ok, let's finally deal with ... " - "Oh adventurer, I need your help!" :D

Still in Chapter 2. I haven't even been to all city districts yet, and only a few non-city locations.

Also, Minsc is getting a bit annoying with his enthusiasm. And that's me, playing lawful good. :lol:

Oh, and: David Warner. :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

No one talking about the bear here? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I mentioned it in the misc. thread, but not even Brain replied. <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

I've been playing Solasta a bit, while this has been gestating, as the former was recently discounted.  Also uses the 5E ruleset although with its own custom subclasses.  Nice tactical feel and one of the first such games I've played where the "light" spell is essential.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2023, 06:43:40 AMI mentioned it in the misc. thread, but not even Brain replied. <_<

I feel like when a brand so wants to be edgy and the topic of conversation, I don't want to reward them.  :sleep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.