News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Started by Syt, June 06, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

If you play with Karlach, one of the most fun things for me was to use Enlarge (spell, elixir, weapon capability) and one of the soul coins on her. She hits really hard then.

Syt

I use her rarely. My main team is me (Paladin), Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Wyll. I do sometimes switch her in for Wyll if I need some extra oomph.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Wyll with the right items/skills can do massive damage with the Eldritch Blast.

crazy canuck

I would like to have 5 in a group so I can have Wyll Karlach (love thier dialogue), Shadowheart and Lae'zel (love how their dialogue progresses.  Also Shadowheart and Lae'zel have the most interesting character development archs. 

I was thinking of dropping my bard and choosing probably Wyll as my main so I can have this group.

Valmy

I use that mod that eliminates the party limit so I always have six  :ph34r:

A four person D&D party is ridiculous. I ranted about this earlier in the thread.

I love this game so much. My favorite game since...um...the last BG games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I feel having 6 party members would be a bit overpowered. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2024, 06:51:12 PMI use that mod that eliminates the party limit so I always have six  :ph34r:

A four person D&D party is ridiculous. I ranted about this earlier in the thread.

Thanks, I am definitely going to use that.

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2024, 02:00:31 AMI feel having 6 party members would be a bit overpowered. :P

I like playing the game for the story and the dialogue between the characters. I love the fact that I can add more characters so I can experience more of the dialogue without having to do a replay with different characters.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2024, 02:00:31 AMI feel having 6 party members would be a bit overpowered. :P

That was my concern.

Having played extensively with both 4 and 6 I didn't find this to be the case. What was easy for four was also easy for six and what was hard before continued to be hard. But now I have honor mode to make it more balanced as well. And frankly having more characters makes it more challenging since there are rather few fights in this game compared to most D&D games but plenty of places for your characters to blow up the party with traps or fall to their deaths and now you have more to babysit.

But the whole idea of a four person limit to a D&D party, especially in a version of the game with 10 classes, was just too offensive and outrageous to my sensibilities and seemed to go against the whole spirit of D&D. I just decided removing that annoying element to the game was worth maybe having slightly bit less of a challenge.

Finally switching party members had to be done through dialog which was really clunky and annoying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2024, 10:12:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2024, 06:51:12 PMI use that mod that eliminates the party limit so I always have six  :ph34r:

Thanks, I am definitely going to use that.

I like playing the game for the story and the dialogue between the characters. I love the fact that I can add more characters so I can experience more of the dialogue without having to do a replay with different characters.

Totally fair. I played BG1 and 2 earlier this year in story mode for that reason. :D BG3 is one of the few story driven games where I'm not defaulting to the lowest difficulty, actually.

@Valmy: makes sense. Maybe I'll do that at a later point. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

I guess I eventually understood the game mechanics and then most fights became fairly easy playing in the balanced mode. I think I did most or all of the boss fights in Act 3 in the first attempt.

One of the big differences is summoned creatures. Having a few more actions per round is very relevant. So having six party members would change all the fights to be trivial I guess, which takes some if the enjoyment away for me.

Syt

I'm kind of glad Act 2 so far seems to be a lot more "focused" than Act 1. I loved the openness of Act 1, but in trying to explore every nook and cranny my story progression ground to a halt in some areas (including interactions with companions, unfortunately). Things have considerably picked up since (trying to keep it spoiler free) entering the Mountain Pass and "Underdark Pt. II". There's still plenty of diversions, but overall those two areas plus Act 2 feel a lot more focused on the main plot.

Still, I love the amount of content they manage to sprinkle across the world. (And Act 2 is all kinds of creepy - the sound design and music help a lot with that.) There was one story event that I massively botched in Act 2, though the game catered for that (with a fairly depressive turn tbh). I did end up reloading, but I do want to go down that route some time just to see how bad it turns out. :lol:

It's kind of a counter example to Dragon Age: Origins which I liked, but which was weighed down by every map being filled start to finish with hordes of enemies. BG3 is much more judicious by having fewer but overall more interesting encounters (though there's one or two slugfests, but that might have been on me not being very subtle -_- ).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Oh, I have one complaint: the camera can get really wonky at times and really hard to control in cramped environments (esp. if multiple floors).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also funny: I was looking at negative Steam reviews, and I see quite a few people complaining about autosave not saving often enough, because they end up losing a lot of progress when they die.

Meanwhile, I think I'm about to crack Quicksave 900-something in my game. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2024, 09:20:30 AMStill, I love the amount of content they manage to sprinkle across the world. (And Act 2 is all kinds of creepy - the sound design and music help a lot with that.) There was one story event that I massively botched in Act 2, though the game catered for that (with a fairly depressive turn tbh). I did end up reloading, but I do want to go down that route some time just to see how bad it turns out. :lol:

LOL yeah that is quite the "story event"

I especially like that there was no warning and I kind of stumbled into that area kind of worn out and decided to go do that before I rested. Woops.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2024, 09:36:23 AMOh, I have one complaint: the camera can get really wonky at times and really hard to control in cramped environments (esp. if multiple floors).

Multiple floor buildings are just a nightmare. Definitely the weakest point for the interface.